Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Standard versus Electric Props?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 01:37 AM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard versus Electric Props?

New to mid sized electrics... excuse the "newbieness factor"...

Can someone please tell me what the practical and effective differences is between using standard props versus electric props on a plane?

E.G.

I have a Super Sportster EP and I can use either a 9x8 APC prop or an APC 9x8E prop. (of course I can also use other sizes...)

What is the advantage or benefits of the latter.

I've also seen electrification kits that include the standard props instead. Why?

Finally on my SS EP I tried a 9x8 APC prop using a 980kV engine with 2x3s 2200mAh Lipos in parallel for 4400mAh total, and a 60 AMP esc.

The plane had plenty of power (full leasurely loops from 50% throttle), but I was not satisfied with the run times (6 minutes or so).

I wouldn't mind giving up some speed (which it has plenty off) for more battery time, but I'm worried about underpropping the plane.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Fliprob17

Default RE: Standard versus Electric Props?

Just by looking at a regular prop vs. and E prop, the E prop is made much thinner, and therefore lighter. It comes to more of a point at the ends, and has more of a notch in or flare at the hub. Normal prop are rather flat coming out of the prop adapter, the E prop have a big "twist" if you will, in them right off of the prop adapter. I believe they are designed this was to generate more torque and power at lower rpm's vs. a nitro engine or gas engine. I have tried both with my electric planes, and the planes always perform better with the E prop.

You may want to try going to a 10x7 or 10x6 instead of the 9x8. That is a lot of pitch on a 9" prop, which is making the motor work more than is probably needs to to get the performance you are after. You will most likely get better, or the same at least, performance by going up in length, but down a couple in pitch, but your flight times should go up.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:29 PM
opjose

Thanks.

I was a bit suprised that some of the electric packages come with standard props instead of E-Props.

I had assumed that there was a specific difference in the design to make the E props better suited for electrics... however it was confusing to see standard props being sold with the packages... such as the S-600GD packs from Great Planes/Electrifly.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:52 PM
feathermerchant

Electric props can be thinner and more efficient because motors make very little vibration compared to engines. You cannot run electric props on engines. They will throw blades.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:10 AM
opjose

Well I went from 6+ minutes using the standard non-electric 9x8 prop included with the S-600GD electric geared motor kit, on my brushless equipped Super Sportster EP to 30 minutes (!!!!) on exactly the same hardware when I switched to the 9x6E APC prop!

Everything else remained the same, only the prop was changed. No attempt what-so-ever to manage the throttle.

WOW! What a change.

One more experienced "electric" person at the field also stated that there is far less resistance with the thinner electric prop permitting the motor to work more efficiently while placing less of a load on it.

Thanks!

I didn't expect such a dramatic change.

---

I still don't understand why Electrifly would include the standard Nitro type prop with their S-600GD combination though, given the above.