Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

EP is driving me to the EDGE Of SANITY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 12:03 AM
themanimal
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EP is driving me to the EDGE Of SANITY!!!!

what started out as a good enough idea.. build a 1/2 shrike, use my existing batteries, esc, and radio gear and buy an inexpensive BL motor for it.

Now the fusion starts. I have posts on 4 different forums and have got motor suggestions ranging from a 300 watt monster motor and big prop down to a $10 Tower pro.

I have spent HOURS pouring through posts with discussions of watts to weight ratios, amps, volts, thrust, pitch speed, etc, etc, etc.

I guess the bottom line is that I don't know how to effectively evaluate the motors
I am looking at and I have the feeling that most of the manufacturers don't supply the right info either. So in the absence of a suitable knowledge base can someone, for the love of all things fast and made of balsa, tell me what motor to put in my plane...

PLEASE!!!!!
Here are the details...

1/2 lanier shrike
BL motor under $25
AUW is 17 oz
I have a 25 amp BL esc
I have three 3-cell 2000k 15 c batteries
I also have two 2-cell 1500 12C batts.

Looking to fly this thing around 70mph... at least.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:22 AM
Mohillbilly

Default RE: EP is driving me to the EDGE Of SANITY!!!!

ELE Brushless Outrunner Motor EA460FX(KV2950) @ http://www.xushobby.com/servlet/Detail?no=189 $40 --- I did the test runs on this motor on rcgroups it will spin a small prop at a high prop speed and still give lots of thrust @ around 20A. On the two cell.

HY-01 Brushless Motor - KV: 2100 @ http://www.xushobby.com/servlet/Detail?no=110 $15 --- for a light build prop small, high speed max 15A.

I just read your other thread that said you wanted light and cheap, I would then go with the Hy-01 for speed on a 5X5 on 3 cells, high speed at cost of thrust.

If you want good and easy performance I would go with the TP-21 its pulls around 18oz thrust on 7X6 and has a good prop speed. You would e happy with the power and speed of this motor on 3 cells and max of 16A thats 177watts.

Also a good cheap go is http://64.33.154.92/blackdogrc/brush...ies.jsp#EC28PM with either the 28PM of for speed up to a 6X4 prop or the 28PL for thrust you can also prop this one down a little for more speed.

Mo.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:34 PM
themanimal

10,000 thank you's !!!

order made, sanity restored.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:16 AM
Mohillbilly

Glad I could help. What one did you deside to go with?

Mo.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:26 PM
themanimal

I went with the uber cheap TP.... http://cgi.ebay.com/2409-12T-Outrunn...QQcmdZViewItem

I figured the light weight of this motor will help offset the heavy weight of my 3-cell 2000k batteries.

I think at this point I am just worried that I can hand launch it fast enough that it won't crash due to lack of thrust. I'm going to put a 7x5 or 7x4 prop on it.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:52 AM
cptcrusty1

Mohillbilly,

I'm having the same issue with a zagi 400xs. The stock motor is a speed 400, 2000mah 2/3 9.6v NiMh. I have a 35amp electrifly brushless esc w/BEC and want a kick-fanny motor for it. Unfortunaltey, I'm limited to the Ammo line of inrunner motors since I have only a gift certificate to spend on tower hobbies. They recommended the 28-35-3900kv which I purchased. The motor is now toast after 4 flights with something rattling inside. I called Tower, really pissed off that they recommended a motor which then tanked on me. They still think its the right motor, just defective. Any ideas?
Old 01-31-2007, 08:54 AM
packyj

If it's admittedly defective they should offer a free replacement... which will tell you if it's defective or if they told you the wrong one. I would push for a replacement or at least a credit.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Mohillbilly

Well sounds like a defective motor unless..... What prop are you running on it? Do you know how many amps you were pulling? 3900kv is pretty high for a direct drive unless its a TINY prop. If it was geared it would work good. How about cooling? Ever check the temp after a flight? unfortuitly I can't get to towers site on this PC while deployed so full motor spec would help a ton as well as how it flew with that motor before it died. Ammo motors are actually pretty good from what I have seen in the past. I personaly have never had one. Sounds like a loose mag in the motor, I would send it back and tell them all was fine till the 4th flight and then this, ask for a replacement.

Mo.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:51 AM
Mohillbilly

ORIGINAL: cptcrusty1

Mohillbilly,

I'm having the same issue with a zagi 400xs. The stock motor is a speed 400, 2000mah 2/3 9.6v NiMh. I have a 35amp electrifly brushless esc w/BEC and want a kick-fanny motor for it. Unfortunaltey, I'm limited to the Ammo line of inrunner motors since I have only a gift certificate to spend on tower hobbies. They recommended the 28-35-3900kv which I purchased. The motor is now toast after 4 flights with something rattling inside. I called Tower, really pissed off that they recommended a motor which then tanked on me. They still think its the right motor, just defective. Any ideas?

BTW I actually got towers page to load today and it says they have a 2 yr warrenty, I would use it to get a new motor, When you get a new one I would hook up a watt metter to it, or at least do short flights and check the motor temp etc.

Mo.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:28 PM
cptcrusty1

Ok... so here's the skinny. I talked to Tower who said they'd replace it. Just for grins, I hooked it up to the esc before I took it out to be shipped. Amazingly, the dumb thing worked. So, when I got home from work that evening, I traced the problem to one of the leads coming out of the motor. The stupid thing fell off in my hand. Well, a soldering gun and solder later, it works great. No replacement needed.!!!! WOOOHOOOOO