Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Help with Motor and ESC selection

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:39 PM
borna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Motor and ESC selection

Hello all,
I’m new to electric airplane but flown many years of glow plane.
I’m interested to purchase pt-19 sold by hobby lobby
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/pt19.htm

The plane has 38” wingspan, 30” long, 225 sq.in wing area and 21 OZ flying weight,
I’m interested to purchase a motor and ESC for this plane that I can it can also be used by a little larger and heavier plan in future.
Hobby Lobby recommends
21226 AXI 2212/26 Outrunner Brushless Motor and JESAP12W Jeti Advance PLUS 12 Amp Brushless Controller WITH Program .

Since I’m not familiar with these recommendations, I like to know if anyone can give a better suggestion or advice as what other Motor and ESC I can use that can also be a good fit for a larger plane.

Thanks
Borna
Old 02-25-2007, 11:58 PM
supi7
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Help with Motor and ESC selection

Borna,

Usually what they recommend is right, of course you can find less expensive motors and ESC setups that will perform just as well if not better.

Based on the info I found on AXI's web page this AXI 2212/26 motor can be replaced with 400XT for around $25-$40 with a 15A - 18A ESC for around $25-30

If you are looking for more power for larger models in later time 450XT and a 25A ESC is what you will need.
As far as the battery check out the 11.1V 1350 from www.TrueRC.com

Best Wishes,

Dan
TrueRC
Old 02-26-2007, 07:18 AM
WhtBronco

That depends on the weight and flying style of the next plane. For the plane you are asking about I'd suggest the Hacker A20-20L which would provide great power at the same weight as the Axi HL suggests. If you want to be able to fly a larger plane in the future look at the Hacker A30 series, the downside here is that the PT19 may not balance easily with a bigger motor. The Hacker A30 series are .5oz or more in weight. The A30 M series would fly both really well from a power standpoint, but the A30-12M(3.7oz) is almost double the weight of an A20-20L(2.01oz). If you intend to fly both planes on the wing, meaning not hovering and flying 3D where you are using the prop for lift much more than the wing, than the A20-20L will be just fine IMO. I believe the A20-20L will fly up to a 30oz plane if flown on the wing quite nicely. For 3D you wouldn't want the plane to be more than 20 - 22oz though.

I been thinking lately of putting an A20-20L on a 48oz thermal glider. Since I am not interested in vertical climbouts with it this motor will be just fine IMO, remember there's lots of lift from the wing on a glider. This setup will keep the additional weight on the glider to a minimum and still provide 4 -5 climb outs.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Fliprob17

I would look at this option for a motor. It is a much cheaper option, I have three planes with Great Planes Rimfire motors in them and they run great. They are right up there with the E-Flite,Axi stuff but save some $$. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWT6&P=0

I would then go with the Great Planes Silver Series ESC. Same deal, good quality for a few bucks less. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKSY4&P=M