Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Stupid/naive Axi 2826/12 Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:30 AM
vmsguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid/naive Axi 2826/12 Question

OK... I have this motor, and I fabricated a former to mount it on. Have holes drilled and it's ready to put in the plane.

But I'm thinking I might have made a mistake. I want to make sure I have it right before I start mixing up the epoxy.

Sticking out the rear of the motor, is a spinning shaft. On that shaft is a collar w/ a set screw.

I drilled the former big enough for the collar to clear. About 1/2"

I'm wondering, should I have done that? I'm wondering if I should have drilled the former only large enough for the shaft, then once installed, have the collar behind the former.

What's this collar for? and how should it be installed in relation to the former?

Thanks in advance,

Lyndon
Old 04-05-2007, 01:16 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Stupid/naive Axi 2826/12 Question

VMSSUY: Yea, you have got it right. The collar is a simple way of keeping the shaft from pulling forward with the thrust in that direction. The hole size in not important as long as it clears without rubbing. Am wondering why you are using another mount. If you bend the stock mount, tap lightly with a small hammer on a flat surface, wood preferable. You should be able to get it as new with a little care. You can almost streighten them with your fingers. Made this way so you don't kill the motor on impact, something we never do? I wish. ENJOY
Old 04-05-2007, 10:15 PM
vmsguy

Default RE: Stupid/naive Axi 2826/12 Question

Sorry I wasn't clear.

I made a wooden former, for the included metal mount to bolt to.

But the rotating shaft comes out the back of the motor. I wasn't sure if the motor housing was all that was needed, or, if it was intended that the shaft go through the wooden former, then the collar.

I've included pictures (I hope) of the former, and the motor hand held in position. I needed to make the extra wood former to hold the engine far enough forward so the prop was in the correct position.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26557.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	657906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70019.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	657907