Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Hey quick question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 07:40 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey quick question

I fly glow 1/2A sized planes mostly..I got an electric foamie from Polk hobbies called a focus 400,,ARF with brushless, esc, lipo, and charger..well, having too much stuff to do, I put it together and tested to see everything worked, it had some charge on it and the charger that came with it was junk...but the motor would spin up fine...well I left everything plugged in and it sat for a month...now it wont do anything....I got a great planes charger and took the battery out to recharge it...it says it is fully charged...still nothing...I'm guessing I shouldnt have left it plugged in ,,but what gives, did I fry the esc? kill the lipo?...Rog
Old 06-22-2007, 08:24 PM
mrasmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hey quick question

I'm guessing it killed the lipo. What kinds of voltages are you getting off the lipo and how many cells does it have?
Old 06-22-2007, 08:26 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You killed the Lipo bro.[]
There is a draw on the battery when it is plugged up and it can over draw the cells below the min and cause them to be done with forever. Sorry man.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:46 PM
jdetray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rog -

Sorry for your loss!

The battery in an electric plane will be drained if you leave it plugged in. This is true even if the ESC has an on-off switch. The only time the battery should be in the plane is when you are flying it.

Lipos need a certain amount of care. A lipo should never be discharged below 3V per cell. That's 9V for a 3-cell pack and 6V for a 2-cell pack. When discharged below 3V per cell, the lipo can be damaged. Most lipo chargers won't even try to charge a pack that is below 3V per cell.

- Jeff
Old 06-23-2007, 06:50 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: jdetray

Hi Rog -

Sorry for your loss!

The battery in an electric plane will be drained if you leave it plugged in. This is true even if the ESC has an on-off switch. The only time the battery should be in the plane is when you are flying it.

Lipos need a certain amount of care. A lipo should never be discharged below 3V per cell. That's 9V for a 3-cell pack and 6V for a 2-cell pack. When discharged below 3V per cell, the lipo can be damaged. Most lipo chargers won't even try to charge a pack that is below 3V per cell.

- Jeff
DOH!..shoulda unhooked it....Hey Vic didnt know you hung out here...that would make sense Jeff, the charger says its full because it doesnt even want to charge it..oh well, I know better now, it was a 3 cell, I guess I should be glad nothing else was damaged!
thanks guys...Rog
Old 06-23-2007, 08:53 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can be found under most gnarly looking rocks. Be glad your charger was smart enough to not try. Otherwise you might be house shopping right now.[X(]
Old 06-23-2007, 09:44 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: vicman

I can be found under most gnarly looking rocks. Be glad your charger was smart enough to not try. Otherwise you might be house shopping right now.[X(]
yes, well in my case car shopping, I had it hooked up to the Miata!...I've seen some of the fire videos, whew! just have to stand back and watch them burn , like magnesium, you just cant put that fire out...Rog