Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

trouble with great planes ESC

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 05:02 PM
206driver
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble with great planes ESC

I just got a great planes mini slinger and the recommended C-12 brushed ESC for the power 180 motor that comes with it. I'm using a spektrum 7 and 6100rx. I binded the RX with the TX. Connected the battery (2s lipo 910 mah) to the ESC. As per the directions the ESC LED light turns on and blinks on and off. The directions say that this is what should happen when using a lipo battery. Says also that right after connecting battery power and with the radio on with throttle in brake position the ESC should emmit three beeps. You are then to advance the throttle stick to full hear 5 beeps and then return to brake position.

Just after I bound the Rx with the Tx I reconnected the battery with the ESC I had the throttle back and heard the 3 beeps, I then advanced the throttle forward heard the 5 beeps and brought it back to brake position. According to the ESC manual eveything is good to go and ready for operation. I have only servo control and no response from the motor. I have the speed control plugged into the throttle position and the LED is illuminated indicating that it is getting power. The servos will move but still no sign of life from the ESC. I unplugged the battery and tried to re-do the ESC arming stuff. Now the servos still work when I plug the battery back in but nothing happens with the ESC except the on and off blinking of the LED to show that it is getting power. There are no beeps at all coming from it during initial setup and no response from throttle position movements.

I looked @ the trouble shooting guided for the ESC and haven't seemed to find anything that covers my particular situation. Also I'd hate to sound superstitious but while turning the ESC around I noticed that it is production #13.

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone, I would appreciate your help.

Dave
Old 01-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: trouble with great planes ESC

Two possibilities:

1. The "low throttle" and "full throttle" positions being sent by the radio aren't what the ESC is expecting. Make sure your throttle ATV setting is 100% in both directions. If that doesn't work, set the throttle ATV to its maximum (often 125% or 140%). Servo-reversing should be set to NORmal.
2. The ESC is faulty. Try a different radio if you can to verify.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:05 PM
206driver
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: trouble with great planes ESC

I think you may be right with the second thought. I called the great planes tech support people, described the symptoms and they are sending a replacement one out. Should be here soon, have to see what happens. They must have heard this before because they didn't request any proof of purchase or anything. Just asked my address and said it's on the way.