Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Big electric motor needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:58 PM
djjones69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big electric motor needed

Hey guys and gals,

I'm a complete newbie to electric flight so sorry in advance for my blatant ignorance. I'm developing a 250lb aircraft that will require approx. 5kW power from an electric power system. Any suggestions of components/major issues etc would be awesome. Doing some maths shows it may be running at 120amps for nearly fifteen minutes; can any speed controllers/batteries handle this kind of amperage? Are there any one-shot (i.e cheap enough to be disposed after use) batteries that will provide high capacitances, i.e. over 7000mAh?

At the moment i'm looking at the following spec;

3S4P of the following li-po packs;

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/flightpower.htm (bottom packs 7400mAh)

The XTRM 7035/08 - 4800 watts motor

and this speed controller;
http://www.e-flight.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=438

Cheers for any help,

Dan
Old 02-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Technito20

Default RE: Big electric motor needed

I have quite a few electric motor and ESC recommendations for Large Scale planes. But to be quite honest I don't think there's a single RC scaled motor & ESC that's even close to powering a 250lb plane. Are you sure it's gonna weigh that much? It's very unlikey an RC plane will weight even half that. The heaviest I've heard of was about 92lbs. I think it was a custom made 44% Extra. It's about the length of an SUV and close to somewhere around a 200 inch wing span. If the plane you're building is more than double that weight then you may need a pilot's license
Old 02-18-2008, 05:45 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am very suspcious of anyone who needs to find information on such a large plane with no previous experience.

Sounds like 911 plane job again, on a smaller size.

I will not help a request like this.

Rich
Old 02-19-2008, 12:41 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Rich:

A valid and sad comment concerning computer trash. There seems to be so many rip-off artists out there, or worse, computer business is invariably going to suffer badly before anything of real worth is done by government. The rewards are potentially high, penalties overly low if caught, computer crime is bound to get out of hand much more before it gets better. You can steal millions and get 6 months to 2 years in jail if caught. Penalties do not match the crimes. Joe taxpayer is neglected and ignored, only the high dollar boys enjoy reasonable police recovery efforts. I have had at least 5 attempted scams run on me this last month alone, from IRS trying to confirm my SS and banking numbers to give tax refunds back to my bank wanting personal information on line, stuff looks official when you receive it. Had two offers of purchase on auction stuff come through as Private Messages, there was no record of the people involved, no response to my inquirys. Wonder when something reasonable will be done by government? Hopefully not in the direction of "War on poverty", War on drugs", "War on terrorism". Am sort of tired of my representatives "fighting" for my rights!! Sorry, I rant. ENJOLY
Old 02-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Hmm, weren't you looking for a gas motor last October for the same bird?