Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Folding prop vs. normal prop

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Greasetattoo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Folding prop vs. normal prop

Hey All...

Anyone know the advantages over a folding prop and a non folding prop?

I am building a Dragonfly, designed by Tex Newman, from the 1970's.

I am deciding on a prop for the plane.
It will be a electric plane.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:05 AM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Folding prop vs. normal prop

hi,

the 2 reasons that come to mind right away are 1st a folding prop will do just that fold on landing for planes that are hand launched and belly landed, then when used in glider type planes when you pull the power off to glide it folds back and will have much less drag in the air giving longer flights for those types of planes.

non folding props are stiffer and typicaly give you a little more power/thrust and are mostly used on planes with landing gear.

hope this helps some, im sure someone else can give better answer than I but its a start for you.

bassman
Old 04-29-2009, 12:18 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folding props are mainly used to reduce drag in electric powered gliders.

They can help a little with a belly landed planes, but there are many belly landed planes that just use standard props. You just kill the engine (nitro) or stop the motor (electric) and glide it in dead stick. Props are typically timed on a nitro engine to stop horizontally (against the engine compression) for belly landings. With electrics, the ESC will brake & stop the prop, and the prop will just bump up out of the way when you flair and touch down.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:26 PM
RyanNX211

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you'll notice much difference with the [link=http://www.thebuildingboard.com/2010/08/model-builder-dragonfly-first-flights.html]Dragonfly[/link]. It's kind of draggy and would require a lot of streamlining before you'd notice.