Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Need Help Sizing motor,esc,battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Gklugie
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Sizing motor,esc,battery

I have a Supertiger gull 1600. It is a 2 meter sailplane with a brushed Mabuchi 540 motor, 30 amp ESC, 6-cell 1400mah nicad battery. I am interested in going to brushless motor and LiPoly battery.

What do I need?
How do I size this?
This should not be rocket science... I just want to get the sailplane to height and lose severalounces of weight.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:58 PM
whitecrest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need Help Sizing motor,esc,battery

Use [link=http://flbeagle.rchomepage.com/software/webocalc_1.05/html/webocalc_imperial.html]WeboCalc[/link] to estimate your requirements. Just plug in your plane's vital statistics. Read the "Help" section for an excellent tutorial.

Just guessing, you will probably need a 2.5 - 3 oz. brushless outrunner that can comfortably sustain about 20 - 25 amps of current without running much beyond warm. It should be rated about 800 - 1000 rpm/volt (Kv) and spin a 9x5 to 11x5 prop. A 2200 mAh 3S (3-cell) lipo might be a good battery size. It would not be too heavy but would provide enough ballast to enable you to balance the plane. The performance improvement should be dramatic. Good luck with your new configuration!