Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

Rascal ARF- How do you set the gear drive mesh?

Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Rascal ARF- How do you set the gear drive mesh?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 02:14 PM
Don T. - NN4S
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rascal ARF- How do you set the gear drive mesh?

Hi there,

My Rascal is ready to go as of last night, all linkages installed and balance checked. The batteries are charged and the radio is working in the correct manner. The only thing I'm uncertain of is how to know that I've got the gear drive mesh set correctly (my other electric is a Skimmer sailplane with DD & folding prop). It seems to be balky if I turn it by hand with the prop, but it spins over and seems to pull well when powered up. Isn't there some simple tip/trick that electric flyers use to set this rapidly & accurately? If so, please share it with me so I don't destroy my latest plane's gearbox the first time out. Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 07-09-2003, 03:02 PM
e-bird

I use a amp meter running the motor without a prop the better
the gears the easyer it is but listen to it and stop it then try
wiggleing the gears not to loose but it isn't too easy be easy not
too tight. Amperage CU
Old 07-09-2003, 03:37 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Nah, that's too much like work!

Slip a strip of inkjet printer paper, or copier paper in between the gears, then push them together tightly. Tighten down the motor, then pull the paper out. Viola! Perfect mesh, every time.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Don T. - NN4S
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by Matt Kirsch
Nah, that's too much like work!

Slip a strip of inkjet printer paper, or copier paper in between the gears, then push them together tightly. Tighten down the motor, then pull the paper out. Viola! Perfect mesh, every time.
Thanks! That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to find: a foolproof, non-technical means of setting it up. I can do that in less than five minutes & get some flying time in this afternoon (if the weather cooperates)!

Thanks again for the help; now let's go flying!