Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

timing issues or bad ESC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 05:57 PM
lbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default timing issues or bad ESC?

This is my first experience with a high Kvr motor for my HK 450 heli. I installed a advertised Heli motor rated at 3500Kvr. When I throttled up it ran in the wrong direction.

I then switched 2 wires to run in other direction and all I got was a eratic operatin and the pinion gear would jerk several times.

I then tried reversing other wires and got the same issues.

I then wired back to the origional hook up and it ran but again in the wrong directions.

Ok, something not right here. I removed the motor and then bench tested it with another ESC. Same issues.

The ESC's I was using were the 40A, yellow shrink tubing ESC's that are all over the internet for cheap $$

I tried a lower Kvr motor (1000 - 1450Kvr) on both of the ESC's and they worked flawless in both directions.

Looking at the motor I noticed that it only had 6 magnets in the bell housing. The rotor has 9 poles.

I then tried another (E-flite ESC) ESC that was installed in a PZ t-28 and the motor works in both directions. The startup is a little funky and not as smooth as the lower Kvr motors.

Is this normal???

Will changing the timing on the ECs make it work?

Larry
Old 03-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: timing issues or bad ESC?

It does sound like a timing issue. I've had motor stutter after changing wires to reverse direction (experts say this can't happen, but you and I know better) I've always been able to cure it by trying a different combination of wires. The funky start-up certainly sounds like timing -probably too advanced.
Walt