Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Twin motors and Motocalc

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:24 AM
andy120

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Twin motors and Motocalc

Hi
How do i work out / get Motocalc to workout what twin motors driving a common shaft will work for my 1/6th scale warbird?
Ive done a 100 or so single motor combinations, no really satisfactory solution found.

Thanks
Andy
Old 06-23-2010, 08:43 AM
ByLoudDesign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Twin motors and Motocalc

To the left of the radio button "Compute Report" is a box labeled "Series motors". I have never done that function before, but on my three motored Do-24T it was a "Parrallel Motors". The program may recognise that if you tell it "1" prop it know the motors are both driving the same shaft and props.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:01 PM
DaveFlynn

What is the prop you wish to use?
Old 06-26-2010, 07:37 AM
svorkoetter

Hi Andy:

You can specify the number of motors (2) in the Series or Parallel motor fields in the bottom right corner of the "Drive System" section of the MotoCalc Workbench window, and then put the number of props (1) in the Num Props field just above that. As LoudDesign has surmised, MotoCalc will then know you are driving one prop with two motors.

MotoCalc can't currently work with this sort of setup in the MotoWizard, i.e. it can't choose such a power system for you automatically, but you can get close by just telling it you want a twin motor setup. When it's found some power systems, choose one to copy to the Workbench, fill in the Num Props field with 1, and increase the prop diameter by about 20%. Then use the various analysis features and tweak the prop size by hand from there.

Hope this helps!

Stefan Vorkoetter
http://www.motocalc.com
http://www.stefanv.com/rcstuff
Old 06-26-2010, 04:10 PM
andy120

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Daa [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] couldnt see it for looking. Worked out some twin and triples to solve my lack of velocity issue.

Thanks guys
Andy