Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

brushed to brushless

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Leggtech69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brushed to brushless

Does anyone know of a website to convert a brushed motor to a brushless motor with recomended ESC?
Old 07-19-2010, 05:55 PM
jdetray

Default RE: brushed to brushless

I have built many of my own brushless motors, so I am very familiar with brushless motors. I don't see how a brushed motor could ever be converted into a brushless motor.

The construction of a brushless motor is completely different from that of a brushed motor. Brushless motors (outrunners, anyway) are actually simpler than brushed motors. Why do you want to do this?

- Jeff
Old 07-20-2010, 08:01 AM
whitecrest

ORIGINAL: Leggtech69

Does anyone know of a website to convert a brushed motor to a brushless motor with recomended ESC?
If what you're asking is to substitute a brushless for a brushed motor of a specified power, that is a straightforward task. This can be easily done, usually with a considerable weight savings or a large power increase for equivalent motor weight. It would be helpful if you could clarify your intent. I don't think many people (any?) are actually converting brushed to brushless motors.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:04 AM
jdetray

ORIGINAL: whitecrest
If what you're asking is to substitute a brushless for a brushed motor ...
That has GOT to be it, Tim. I'm glad you saw the OP's meaning when I could not.

- Jeff
Old 07-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Leggtech69

SORRY GUYS, OF COURSE I MEAN TO EXCHANGE A BRUSHED MOTOR FOR A BRUSHLESS MOTOR, IT WOULD BE TO COSTLY AND TO MUCH OF A HASSLE TO CONVERT. WHAT I WAS ASKING WAS, I HAD SEEN SOMEWERE BEFORE A WEBSITE THAT EXPLAINE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE EXCHANCE OF SAY A 400 BRUSHED MOTOR AND WHAT THE BRUSHLESS WOULD THEN BECOME AND THE RECOMRNDED ESC FOR THAT MOTOR. SORRY AGAIN FOR THE CONFUSION.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:13 AM
whitecrest

There are many brushless motors that would make excellent replacements for a Speed 400 type. If you're going to power a high-wing, slower-flying plane, I'd recommend a 1-1.5 oz brushless outrunner rated about 1000 Kv (RPM/volt) and 12-14 amps continuous current turning an 8x4 to 9x5 prop. An 18 amp, brushless ESC would provide plenty of capacity to avoid overheating.

If you must use a limited prop size or want to fly a faster plane, you'll need a motor with a higher Kv that is more appropriate for turning smaller props. One of the motor calculator programs can be useful for modeling different options. I like WeboCalc and DriveCalc. A wattmeter is essential for verifying actual current draw of your power system.

Here is a DriveCalc run for a Speed 400 on 10 volts using a 3:1 gearbox and 9x5 prop:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36558.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1473050  
Old 07-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Leggtech69

thanks for the info, im replacing it in a Lanceair ES EP low wing, came originally with 400 brushed motor but like i said its extreamly under powered and would like to change to more powerful brushless motor, needs a 9x6 prop. any help greatly appriceated.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Dr Kiwi

A 70g Keda TR2834/16 (~1170Kv) would spin a 9x6 at about 18A on 3s... a great improvement over a Speed 400.