RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/)
-   -   she needs more power!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/1119150-she-needs-more-power.html)

cardinal7 09-06-2003 01:47 AM

she needs more power!!!

will a 3 cell lithium burn up the motors on an a-10 ducted fan jet? i am not sure what type they are, but i am hoping somebody can help me. THere is not enough power from an 8.4 volt 8cell nimh or however u abbreiveate it. The airplane could not climb at all and you had to hold up the entire time or it would lose altitude. so should i use a # cell lithium?

SavoirFaire 09-06-2003 03:26 AM

she needs more power

I'm giving her all she's got, Captain (a la Scotty) :D

Greg Covey 09-06-2003 11:06 AM

she needs more power!!!

That's funny because I was thinking about the same Star Trek line coming into this thread. :)

I've seen the stock GWS A-10s fly very well on a 3-cell Lithium pack. However, the motors seem to last for only about 15 flights.

I would first try a very lightweight 2-cell pack like a 2s2p Kokam 340SHC pack from Bishop Power Products. It can deliver 12amps continuous for a 680mAh capacity and only weighs 1.5oz.

The lighter weight should help add power.

Good luck!

cardinal7 09-06-2003 12:44 PM

she needs more power!!!

Thanks, I will try that as soon as i can get a new battery. We also tried a 6 cell nihm battery and it seemed to climb, but just a very little bit, but it was still an improvement. The 2 cell lithium souds like a good idea. Thanks

jimbosstuff1 09-06-2003 05:14 PM

slug

I to had the "I don't want to climb!!!lots of up trim..big time nose heavy and it was in the middle of the suggested c/g range..go figure! so its back at the aft most and a smidge more and with the seven 720's it flys, i say, but I'm going to try the li-pl also and see what happens,llighter wing loading,. thanks for all the advise out there ,,Jim

jimbosstuff1 09-06-2003 05:32 PM

great web page....

Greg, thank you for your dedication to the rc electric community it is persons like yourself that make this hobby so much fun.. your willingness to share. I will be wearing out your page for sure,I just came from there and Wow, I'm going to learn some neat stuff. Just so I have a question, how do you change the gws motors in the A-10 anyoldways,,I know doubt be fry them soon. E-Jim

Greg Covey 09-06-2003 09:17 PM

she needs more power!!!

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the kind remarks. My Web site clearly reveals my obsession with electric flight. :)

I believe that the GWS motors are simply press fit into the ducts and the props are also press fit onto the motor shaft.

The A-10 my friend has flies very well on Lithium cells...even in wind. Those tiny GWS motors are impressive.