Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Losi Mach .26SS Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 02:37 PM
CrT-RaCeR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi Mach .26SS Engine

I just bought a losi aftershock LE 2 weeks ago and broke it in with the heat cycle method for approx 12 tanks or so. Ive tuned it (good performance and good smoke) and i cannot for a life of me keep the engine temp in the 230-250 degree range. It runs in the 190-210 range. If i lean it out to get into the 230's it will lean bogg and just run crappy.
Ive used 2 different temp guns so i know they cant be that inaccurate

Ive ran the engine like this with the stock pipe for a gallon and recently changed the pipe and the temps wont go over 180 degrees

Im positive this isn't too good for this engine..but the front end wont stay down so its not lacking performance.

Also ive been out of RC for 2-3 years and i know how to tune for the most part, this has me stumped..Im running odonnell 20% fuel with a odonnel medium plug
Old 04-17-2011, 08:13 PM
synthetic003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Losi Mach .26SS Engine

try a diff plug like a cold plug
Old 04-17-2011, 09:40 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Losi Mach .26SS Engine

IMO those temps are fine.. Don't baby it.. Go run in grass too - that should shoot the temps up..

I run several kinds of SH engines(like your Mach), and run an OS A5 plug in all of them.. The normal temp is probably 200F, running a bit rich.. I like it like that, cuz I know I can go nuts with lots of WOT or running on a track or whatever, and there's a bit of a safety zone.. I race my silver Machs like that and get very stable performance and consistent temps(200-230)

Basically, if it's got good performance and the smoke and sound are good, then just letter' rip and run it... Don't obsess about temps.. And don't forget either - your temp gun could easily be off too... They very often are...

Next time though, wrap your cooling had with a sock or alu-foil though to bump the temps up for break-in..

In any event, if your performance and smoke and sound are good but your temp readings are low, I wouldn't worry about it.. High temps would be more to worry about..

There used to be a guy in the LST forum - 2DMAX - who raced numerous LRP 28's and Mach 427's(all cousins of your engine..), and he would post videos of his engines delivering good power at 170F all the time.. No worries.. In general, I think SH engines like to (and should, for longevity..) run cool... Over the years I've kind of used 170 as a starting point for when I can start pushing it..(the temp should go up normally from there anyway and quickly hit 200 if you're on a track or doing a lot of WOT..), and then I just try to keep it under 270 or so..., preferably in the 230 range.. But 200 would be fine too..