Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 05:13 AM
colossus281

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb

Hay what's a good carb to go with on the losi 454
Old 09-04-2011, 06:07 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: carb

ORIGINAL: colossus281

I think the carbs are just fine on all of the Losi/Mach engines. Why change what works? If you're looking for more performance from it, get a better exhaust and use a touch more nitro. I have a SH .28 P6 which is basically the same engine except for the extra 2 transfer ports and the carb on it is great. It tunes like a dream. I think its got a 9.2mm venturi, whereas my Mach 427 (orange head) is 7.0mm. Both will wheelie all day long.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:37 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picco carb will fit...it is insulated and will tune better and likely produce more power....
Old 09-04-2011, 07:00 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: supertib

Picco carb will fit...it is insulated and will tune better and likely produce more power....
I know Picco carbs arent cheap, but before I'd buy one I would want to know it really is that much better and worth the money. Why not test both carbs since you've got a dyno and post the results.

I have never had the problems you've spoke of regarding the carb on the SH engines. I'm a little crazy and use a GPS to determine top speed. Start out rich and lean it down until top speed drops off a little and richen up to top speed again. I can do it by ear but I think the gps is more accurate than my ear is... For what I ask of my Taiwanese engines and carburetors, I'm happy. I have no doubt the Italians have their stuff figured out but since I dont race, I dont need to spend $200+ on an engine.

I do have some Italian Super Tigre airplane engines though.. Very nice engines.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:24 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

I know Picco carbs arent cheap, but before I'd buy one I would want to know it really is that much better and worth the money. Why not test both carbs since you've got a dyno and post the results.

I have never had the problems you've spoke of regarding the carb on the SH engines. I'm a little crazy and use a GPS to determine top speed. Start out rich and lean it down until top speed drops off a little and richen up to top speed again. I can do it by ear but I think the gps is more accurate than my ear is... For what I ask of my Taiwanese engines and carburetors, I'm happy. I have no doubt the Italians have their stuff figured out but since I dont race, I dont need to spend $200+ on an engine.

I would never buy one new...there are thousands of Picco's out there and chances are a used carb wont be hard to find for cheap...... Yes there is a massive tuning difference....just you have become accustomed to how the SH tunes and never experienced anything better.......no worries tho, as you say you don't race and have never had a fancy car engine, so how would you know differently, you use what has worked for you so far, nothing wrong with that..........Without question there is a difference, Sh carbs will work, but very crudely.....with the Picco carb you will see a much crisper throttle response, better idle down, better idle and far better fuel mileage.....peak power may be similar, but everywhere else the Picco carb will be superior........personally I think Sh engines tune like ass with the stock carbs....But I am used to high dollar race engines........ Similar thing to stereo equipment.......You only realize how much better the high end equipment is after you own it then go back to listening to a budget system.......both systems will their job just fine, you can listen to music with both...but listening to them back to back there is a massive difference......But if all you have listened to is a budget system you will never know what you are missing....But after owning high end stereo gear there is no going back to budget gear..........
Old 09-04-2011, 08:28 AM
savagecommander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would never buy one new...there are thousands of Picco's out there and chances are a used carb wont be hard to find for cheap...... Yes there is a massive tuning difference....just you have become accustomed to how the SH tunes and never experienced anything better.......no worries tho, as you say you don't race and have never had a fancy car engine, so how would you know differently, you use what has worked for you so far, nothing wrong with that..........Without question there is a difference, Sh carbs will work, but very crudely.....with the Picco carb you will see a much crisper throttle response, better idle down, better idle and far better fuel mileage.....peak power may be similar, but everywhere else the Picco carb will be superior........personally I think Sh engines tune like ass with the stock carbs....But I am used to high dollar race engines........ Similar thing to stereo equipment.......You only realize how much better the high end equipment is after you own it then go back to listening to a budget system.......both systems will their job just fine, you can listen to music with both...but listening to them back to back there is a massive difference......But if all you have listened to is a budget system you will never know what you are missing....But after owning high end stereo gear there is no going back to budget gear..........
fantastic answer, but i think i'm still wondering how the picco carb can be so much better
Old 09-04-2011, 09:36 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I understand you hold Picco in a high regard; I know they are fine engines. A claim using the word "superior" warrants more investigation IMO. I remember reading awhile back quite a few guys having problems with erratic tuning and air leaks in the carburetor. Something to do with the multiple materials used in the carb cause a leak or something.. huh.. Anyway. I'm open to try anything, but I dont believe everything I hear. I have to see it to believe it.

I couldn't find a used picco .28 carb for sale, and the carb body alone new is $37. I imagine a new complete carb wont go for less than $50. I did find numerous postings on various forums of picco .28 owners complaining about air leaks in the carburetor though. That doesnt say "superior" to me.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:41 AM
supertib

I understand you hold Picco in a high regard; I know they are fine engines. A claim using the word ''superior'' warrants more investigation IMO. I remember reading awhile back quite a few guys having problems with erratic tuning and air leaks in the carburetor. Something to do with the multiple materials used in the carb cause a leak or something.. huh.. Anyway. I'm open to try anything, but I dont believe everything I hear. I have to see it to believe it.

I couldn't find a used picco .28 carb for sale, and the carb body alone new is $37. I imagine a new complete carb wont go for less than $50. I did find numerous postings on various forums of picco .28 owners complaining about air leaks in the carburetor though. That doesnt say ''superior'' to me.

I wish we lived closer and you could come by my track so we could run the two carbs back to back and I could show you the difference.....I could explain this till I am blue in the face but I have a feeling you guys still will will not see it.....So either take my word for it, or don't take my word for it, that is what it comes down to in the end.....
Old 09-04-2011, 12:32 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I wish we lived closer and you could come by my track so we could run the two carbs back to back and I could show you the difference.....I could explain this till I am blue in the face but I have a feeling you guys still will will not see it.....So either take my word for it, or don't take my word for it, that is what it comes down to in the end.....
I would enjoy that. You're a knowledgeable guy and I do not discount what you say. I could learn a lot from you. But for something to be that much better, "I gotta see this" is what my first thought is. I have a strange fascination with model engines. I'd like to see an engine running with 13:1 trapped compression (effective compression) run on 30% nitro, too.

If there's some "touristy" type stuff to do in your area, I'd make a trip. I've been to Canada, but its been a long time. I think gasoline was $ .70 / liter.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:40 PM
supertib

I would enjoy that. You're a knowledgeable guy and I do not discount what you say. I could learn a lot from you. But for something to be that much better, ''I gotta see this'' is what my first thought is. I have a strange fascination with model engines. I'd like to see an engine running with 13:1 trapped compression (effective compression) run on 30% nitro, too.

If there's some ''touristy'' type stuff to do in your area, I'd make a trip. I've been to Canada, but its been a long time. I think gasoline was $ .70 / liter.

you may not be that far from us actually , I am 1.5 hours from Grand Forks ND........ we are hosting the 2011 Canadian RC pro finals here on the Weekend of Sept 16th at the CRE raceway, if you want to see some good racing that would be the time to come..... I am not one to talk out my ass, if i did I wouldn't be where I am today.....just saying ...

ps...I will run 13.5 geometric on 30%, not trapped.....
Old 09-04-2011, 01:10 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I would enjoy that. You're a knowledgeable guy and I do not discount what you say. I could learn a lot from you. But for something to be that much better, ''I gotta see this'' is what my first thought is. I have a strange fascination with model engines. I'd like to see an engine running with 13:1 trapped compression (effective compression) run on 30% nitro, too.

If there's some ''touristy'' type stuff to do in your area, I'd make a trip. I've been to Canada, but its been a long time. I think gasoline was $ .70 / liter.

you may not be that far from us actually , I am 1.5 hours from Grand Forks ND........ we are hosting the 2011 Canadian RC pro finals here on the Weekend of Sept 16th at the CRE raceway, if you want to see some good racing that would be the time to come..... I am not one to talk out my ass, if i did I wouldn't be where I am today.....just saying ...

Yeah, I dont think I'm too far either. It takes me about 5hrs to get to the Canadian border at Grand Portage.

I dont believe you talk from your ass, trust me on that. I like a nice surprise once in awhile.

Isn't it pretty pointless to go off geometric compression when the Trapped compression is what really counts? The fuel mixture doesnt actually begin being compressed until the exhaust port is closed. To me Geometric compression doesnt seem as it should be really relevant but I know there is a correlation between geometric and trapped ratios.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:54 PM
supertib

Yeah, I dont think I'm too far either. It takes me about 5hrs to get to the Canadian border at Grand Portage.

I dont believe you talk from your ass, trust me on that. I like a nice surprise once in awhile.

Isn't it pretty pointless to go off geometric compression when the Trapped compression is what really counts? The fuel mixture doesnt actually begin being compressed until the exhaust port is closed. To me Geometric compression doesnt seem as it should be really relevant but I know there is a correlation between geometric and trapped ratios.

more or less I agree...I mainly work off trapped compression