Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Heat cycling

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:36 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts
Default RE: Heat cycling

ORIGINAL: eemilioc

I have been trying to find the Hudy prop and cant, do you know where they sell it. It has me thinking how does this prop accepts any size engine, the design must be the key for it.
There is a driver hub/collar that goes onto the crankshaft, then the prop, then the prop nut. Car engine crankshafts have the same size for the most part so it fits most engines. No special design, it looks like a normal wide blade prop with the tips cut off similar to a Master Airscrew prop.

There is a link earlier in the thread to the prop, drive collar, and prop nut.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:08 AM
eemilioc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1QwkSport2.5r
The hudy prop has a very high pitch and has some irregular cuts that I imagine are for creating turbulence and increasing the resistance. The other setup that was mentioned before had a simple prop cut on both ends, so there is where I think the resistance is equal in any motor, while the hudy may vary its resistance due to this additional cuts. This is just what I have thought by guessing and looking at the pics.
I have searched for this prop and they dont sell it anywhere, if someone had it and gave us some dimensions and photos would be great to calculate the pitch and fabricate something close to the original.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:33 AM
purenitro33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Purenitro33 - how come the prop is bolted directly to the engine in the pictures in the links provided above? Doesn't look like a gear drive to me. The prop nut especially made for a short car engine crank...

But I'm no engineer, or chemist, or any other sort of smart guy. I just call it as I see it.
I wasn't referring to the other links, only the link that was in my reply. You should never set an off-road engine to operating rpm for break-in, the heat generated from the friction and the load put on the moving parts would damage the engine in short order.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:02 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

ORIGINAL: purenitro33

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Purenitro33 - how come the prop is bolted directly to the engine in the pictures in the links provided above? Doesn't look like a gear drive to me. The prop nut especially made for a short car engine crank...

But I'm no engineer, or chemist, or any other sort of smart guy. I just call it as I see it.
I wasn't referring to the other links, only the link that was in my reply. You should never set an off-road engine to operating rpm for break-in, the heat generated from the friction and the load put on the moving parts would damage the engine in short order.
That's why the engine needs to be lightly loaded and set rich. Get the thing running, get it hot, and let it run. The light load lets it turn up, the rich mixture keeps it lubricated and cool.

Not rocket science. You guys make it sound more complicated than it is. But don't worry... I won't hold it against ya'll... . I'll agree to disagree again.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:16 AM
purenitro33

Your theory may be relative and doable with rtr engines that have butter soft pistons and cheap chrome. But try that with a high end engine and you will find it simply doesn't work like that, the heat cause by friction will send the temps skyrocketing at operating rpm, and adding more fuel to the equation doesn't solve that.

You can disagree all you want, but your arguing with people who make a living building and selling these engines. If break-in was just that easy, my life would be so much more simple.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:08 AM
controlliner

I have broke in many ABC engines with hard chrome brass liners and high silicon content aluminum pistons. All run rich and never any problems. I have only run them hot enough to stay running. I have a traxxas 2.5R engine that has 15 plus gallons on it and it has the original OEM rod in it as well as original piston and liner. It only takes a few degrees above ambient temp to obtain safe running clearances between the piston and liner. This particular has a real squeaky pinch when it was new too and the rod never broke. Nor did the bushing wallow out on the crank pin end. Save heat cycling for the Meehanite piston engines, that is where the process began and got slurred over to the ABC engines. A high silicon content piston has a very low expansion rate and doesn't retain any growth once heated like meehanite does.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:23 PM
supertib

what exactly is the debate here ? I don't even understand what you guys are disagreeing about ? I Would consider myself quite experienced breaking in ground engines...I have successfully broken in several thousand race engines over the last few years..so not sure what the debate is....
Old 06-09-2013, 11:00 AM
rccheech

ORIGINAL: supertib

You cannot breakin a offroad engine at operating RPM's, you will tear up the piston and do substantial damage.......I breakin at 14-16 000 RPM

the prop on a breakin bench may look small, but it provides more load then you will get wth the engine on the ground in the RC car.......... A strong 28 engine will only spin the Hudy prop to 25 000 RPM under max power and tune........It does a hell of alot more then just pass air over the engine....
So very true, You will never over rev the engine on a break in bench, and spinning the engine to max rpm during break in will cause every bit of damage imaginable. Its about seating the bearings, and matching the sleeve to the piston, needs to be done by inreasing the rpm range gradually. The load that the prop puts on theese engines is more than the engine will ever see in its lifespan.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:12 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: supertib

what exactly is the debate here ? I don't even understand what you guys are disagreeing about ? I Would consider myself quite experienced breaking in ground engines...I have successfully broken in several thousand race engines over the last few years..so not sure what the debate is....
Ha! I was wondering the same thing. Hey, what do you guys think of the O.S. 21XR-B? I've never seen an engine marketed to be easily upgraded. Wouldn't it be more cost-effective just to order the one you want instead of investing in upgrade parts?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Anthoop

ORIGINAL: JohnP2
Hey, what do you guys think of the O.S. 21XR-B? I've never seen an engine marketed to be easily upgraded. Wouldn't it be more cost-effective just to order the one you want instead of investing in upgrade parts?
Plenty of low rent engines can be upgraded with parts from other engines already....I guess they are only saying it to try and increase sales....sales patter.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:22 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: Anthoop

Hey, what do you guys think of the O.S. 21XR-B? I've never seen an engine marketed to be easily upgraded. Wouldn't it be more cost-effective just to order the one you want instead of investing in upgrade parts?
Plenty of low rent engines can be upgraded with parts from other engines already....I guess they are only saying it to try and increase sales....sales patter.
Understood. I'm curious, however, if it is cost effective. Example: would one spend more getting an O.S. 21XR-B and buying parts to "turn it into" a 21X-B V-Spec (or something compatible)....as oppossed with just buying the 21X-B V-Spec. Thanks
Old 06-10-2013, 07:53 PM
rccheech

ORIGINAL: Anthoop

Understood. I'm curious, however, if it is cost effective. Example: would one spend more getting an O.S. 21XR-B and buying parts to ''turn it into'' a 21X-B V-Spec (or something compatible)....as oppossed with just buying the 21X-B V-Spec. Thanks
In most cases by the time you get the piston, sleeve, rod, crank and (sometimes bearings) you will have just about spent the same as purchasing a new mill.