Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Tuned PIPE TERMS

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 12:46 PM
TunedFlow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuned PIPE TERMS

Can someone please explain to me the different dynamics of a tuned pipe? I fully understand the concept of back pressusre and pipe length and such but I don't fully grasp the differences in pipe composition. So can someone please tell me the differences or properties of a one piece pipe, dual and three chamber and the ringed rib pipe?
Old 08-23-2005, 11:55 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tuned PIPE TERMS

the dual/triple chamber pipes are just as they say, have two or three chambers. What this does is simply reduce noise. A two chamber pipe is internally very similar to what you would see on a motocross bike. The header runs into the divergent cone, then the belly, then the convergent cone, and out the stinger at the very end. The motox then runs another "header" to the silencer whereas the dual chamber pipe has a silencer built right over the top of the stinger. Usually performance is only slightly reduced, not a huge difference, but slight. The big advantage is noise reduction.

A one piece pipe is nice because the header and pipe are joined together as a type male/female coupler that is held together with small springs rather than zip-tieing a silicone coupler to the ends of a standard pipe and header. This is a benefit a) because you greatly reduce the tendency for the pieces to slide apart and b) to ensure a specific length for the pipe to yield a specific "tune."

A ringed pipe is more used as an esthetic look rather than functionality from what I've seen. The overal tuning effects that they have I have wondered about myself. It seems as though they are only found on pipes designed for torque rather than rpm. But they also feature all of the other design principles that are used for torque pipes.

Hope that helps.