Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Bumping Flywheel To Stop???

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 08:21 PM
TunedFlow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumping Flywheel To Stop???

I was just wondering out of all the ways to stop an engine I agree that pushing in the air filter is the worst. There are of course safe ways such as pinching the fuel line but I rather burn off all the fuel out of the lines if there's little left. Does anyone agree with bumping the flywheel for instance with their shoes to stop the engine? In my mind this puts more strain on the engine internals such as the con-rod and make them more susceptible to wear and damage. What do you guys here think about this?
Old 09-16-2005, 01:28 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Bumping Flywheel To Stop???

I either let it run out of fuel or if I have to stop it before then I put my finger over the end of the pipe. [&:]
Old 09-16-2005, 11:22 AM
jkulhanek

ORIGINAL: 46u

I either let it run out of fuel or if I have to stop it before then I put my finger over the end of the pipe. [&:]
Thats exactly what I do!

Screw removing the body to pinch the stupid fuel line...
Old 09-16-2005, 11:25 AM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the end of the day I always run all the fuel out of it but there is no way to do that after a race. I usually bump the flywheel with my thumb. If you think about it, consider the forces being put on the rod when the engine is running at over 30,000 rpm. Then consider the forces at say, 2,000 rpm. Not even a comparision. Going by my amatuer physics classes the sudden stop from 2000 is still much less than normal running at 30,000. This is my preferred way to stop my engine, a small block of course.

The other "best" way to stop an engine in my book is by plugging the exhaust. This does not put any extra strain on any components and does not starve your engine of oil. It also helps for restarts because the engine has been preprimed. A quick bump on the box or tug at a pull start will bring it to life every time if you shut it down this way.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:51 AM
jkulhanek

I like to keep my fingers away from spinning things, I'd rather ruin my engine somehow than ruin my fingers!
Old 09-16-2005, 01:11 PM
SManMTB

Even better: Just get one of those rubber thingy things on the exhaust that you can pinch.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:16 AM
jkulhanek

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

Even better: Just get one of those rubber thingy things on the exhaust that you can pinch.
I used to use one of them, but it seemed to take the "edge" off my motors performance...
Old 09-18-2005, 05:37 PM
gubbs3

Not only can they restrict some power but they make the exhaust sound wierd, I don't like it. The worst part about those things though is when racing, an "all thumbs" marshall can very easily grad the sides of the vehicle and crush the rubber stinger, killing the engine. This is just as easily done by crashing against a pipe. Not good.

BTW- I have never hurt my thumb by bumping the flywheel. You just have to make sure your orientation is right. The flywheel, when looking through the bottom of the chassis, is spinning towards the front. This means if you touch your thumb to it with the tip of your thumb pointing to the front, you'll be alright. If you point it to the back, the flywheel will bite and grab on to you, that's what hurts. It's just like stubbing your toe on pavement.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:58 PM
traxxas_freak87

I use traxxas and I re-ran the fuel line to use a pair of alligator clips .. you know .. the little things you buy at the local electronic or auto shop.. or as some such people from the 60's would know them .. roach clips
Old 09-18-2005, 08:48 PM
jkulhanek

ORIGINAL: gubbs3

I have never hurt my thumb by bumping the flywheel.
the flywheel will bite and grab on to you, that's what hurts. It's just like stubbing your toe on pavement.
lol...
Old 09-19-2005, 11:34 AM
gubbs3

It only happens once...