Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines > Car Nitro & Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Torque comparsion between Nitro and Electric ?!

Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Torque comparsion between Nitro and Electric ?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 08:46 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Torque comparsion between Nitro and Electric ?!

Exactly Hp is a measurement of "work done" At 0 RPM nothing is moving, and the motor is not doing any work.

One horsepower is equivalent to 33 000 foot-pounds per minute. Or an easier way of looking at it is moving 3300 pound for 10 feet in one minute. Or 330 pounds, 100 feet in one minute.

An engine dyno for example does not measure hp, what it actually measure is torque. It does this by applying a load, then slowly decreasing the load as engine RPM increases. The dyno then converts torque in to hp by using the similar formula I have provided.

Ryan
Old 04-15-2006, 02:04 AM
xism

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

engine geek u got it wrong pal, i have never said a 700 motor is faster... i said more powerful! those matematical "calculations" doesnt work IRL and u knows it. WTC was build to stand a krasch from a boeing 747 in a "matematical calculation". we all knows what happen... be real man, all those hp of the rc engines is not about torque, its about a selling trick.

and btw, i have never own a kershaw kit, i was taking a example! dont ask me how, but a savage ie. goes faster with a kershaw kit what i have heard (more torque and different gear ratio), i think they made kit upto with a 960 size motor.

and ofcoure, good excuse there... "only a .15 engine". for the t-maxx vs e-maxx pulling comparsion. well, use a nitro crucher with its .21 engine instead then there should be no excuses, ryan says the .21 motor has 3x more torque than a 700 motor.... e-maxx does only have 2 550 motors, still the e-maxx wins

the fastes car in the world is EP
the fastes boat in the world is EP
Old 04-15-2006, 02:09 AM
xism

ryan ryan ryan.... man, 1 horsepower is nothing else than 736 watts, and watts is all about working capacy per hour. it has nothing to do with toeque att all!
Old 04-15-2006, 08:26 AM
bentgear

Its simple, using your E-Maxx/T-Maxx example. Just figure the gearing so the T-Maxx is doing 1 MPH at max torque.....clutch fully engaged (guesstamate around 24,000 RPM's) hook them together and let the heaviest truck win.

xism, if there is no relationship between torque and HP then why does an engine dyno measure torque and calculate HP?

Nice trol by the way.

Ed M.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:51 AM
ryan_t888

ORIGINAL: xism
those matematical "calculations" doesnt work IRL and u knows it. WTC was build to stand a krasch from a boeing 747 in a "matematical calculation". we all knows what happen... be real man, all those hp of the rc engines is not about torque, its about a selling trick.
Do you realize they get hp numbers from measuring the mount of torque?

An engine dyno for example does not measure hp, what it actually measure is torque. It does this by applying a load, then slowly decreasing the load as engine RPM increases. The dyno then converts torque in to hp by using the similar formula I have provided.
xism, if there is no relationship between torque and HP then why does an engine dyno measure torque and calculate HP?
I also want to hear your answer to this.

Ryan
Old 04-15-2006, 09:08 AM
ryan_t888

I missed this one.

ryan ryan ryan.... man, 1 horsepower is nothing else than 736 watts, and watts is all about working capacy per hour. it has nothing to do with toeque att all!
It's actually 746 watts. But 746 watts = 33000 foot-pounds per minute. It does have to do with torque, as these numbers are all interchangable.

Ryan
Old 04-15-2006, 09:36 AM
SManMTB

Dude.... just stop before you make a fool out of yourself. HP and torque is directly related to each other. I don't understand why you deny reality.

How much proof do you need before you just accept the fact that YOU ARE WRONG.
1 hp = 736W, that is correct but you are missing the point here. If the engine makes no torque it doesn't make any power either and as you know you measure power in hp or W.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Mable

ORIGINAL: bentgear

Its simple, using your E-Maxx/T-Maxx example. Just figure the gearing so the T-Maxx is doing 1 MPH at max torque.....clutch fully engaged (guesstamate around 24,000 RPM's) hook them together and let the heaviest truck win.

Nice trol by the way.

Ed M.
is This guy a joke
Old 04-15-2006, 04:00 PM
xism

bentgear right, here we go again with all these excuses.... e-maxx wins couse its heavier? well, like i said... use a nitro crusher! about same weight right? the usa1 is even a little bit heavier .... e-maxx wins becouse of TORQUE - EOD.

and yes, good question there. you said the answer yourself : "calculate"
couse u can never measure hp in physique form. only in a mathematical form, and dont ask me HOW they doing it... but i know for sure that it has nothing to do with torque. couse the only way to measure torque is right on the motoraxle.

ryan, if i realize they get hp numbers from measuring the mount of torque?
well, thats total uninteresting couse real power is torque - hp is about the engines working capacy per hour(watts) "hp" is for selling.

SManMTB no way, couse iknows that hp and torque has nothing to do with each other.

IF hp and torque was directly related to each other, then how come that some engines with a huge torque has very little hp?(like a farmer tractor) , and a F1 car with all those horsepower have a poor torque?
Old 04-15-2006, 05:03 PM
SManMTB

bentgear right, here we go again with all these excuses.... e-maxx wins couse its heavier? well, like i said... use a nitro crusher! about same weight right? the usa1 is even a little bit heavier .... e-maxx wins becouse of TORQUE - EOD.

and yes, good question there. you said the answer yourself : "calculate"
couse u can never measure hp in physique form. only in a mathematical form, and dont ask me HOW they doing it... but i know for sure that it has nothing to do with torque. couse the only way to measure torque is right on the motoraxle.

ryan, if i realize they get hp numbers from measuring the mount of torque?
well, thats total uninteresting couse real power is torque - hp is about the engines working capacy per hour(watts) "hp" is for selling.

SManMTB no way, couse iknows that hp and torque has nothing to do with each other.

IF hp and torque was directly related to each other, then how come that some engines with a huge torque has very little hp?(like a farmer tractor) , and a F1 car with all those horsepower have a poor torque?

I am not really a big fan of name calling but this time I have to say it..... You're freaking stupid!!!

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. Have you ever seen a dyno for cars?
They measure torque and rpm. hp is a function of torque and rpm.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:57 PM
SManMTB

The reason a farm tractor with a huge torque doesn't have a lot of hp is because it's not producing that torque at a high rpm.
A F1 engine makes massive hp with low torque because it produces the power at 18-19k rpm.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:15 PM
ryan_t888

Do not say another word before reading 100% of this. If you don't understand it translate it in to your spoken language. It is extremely easy to understand!

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question381.htm

Ryan
Old 04-15-2006, 08:20 PM
SManMTB

[link=http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question381.htm]http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question381.htm[/link]

Took the liberty of cleaning up your link.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:12 AM
xism

SManMTB, better to be stupid than a ****ing fag like you are. u are out of words therefor u must starting harasments against me?

ryan yes i have read that article now and i understands some parts of it. but i dont understands where they get the numbers from. couse there is no sience and no logic behind those numbers, they are probarly made up for calculate in the way they wants.
like i said before, and what i was reading on that site: "What an engine naturally produces, however, is torque" - is enough to me. if anyone want to use their imagination with some fantasy numbers and stupid matematical teories to translate the torque to hp, then its not my problem

real power is torque, and that is what i have been saying all the time
Old 04-16-2006, 09:25 AM
jackkpl

xism : why dont u listen to ppl giving u written proof. HP is not an engine capacity, but how much WORK can be done in TIME. if u have twice HP it means u will do the same work in half the time. Torque is "force" that engine gives, horsepower is torque x rpm. If u have 100Nm torque at 10000 rpm, and farmer truck has 1000Nm at 300 rpm the former is still more powerful, cause when u use gearing so that u get 300rpm on wheel from 10000rpm on engine u get 10000/300 more torque on wheel, which means 100Nm*10000/300=3333Nm on the wheel. HP is not selling crap. Bear in mind that F1 engine could easily pull a 18wheel truck, just need to apply good gearing. Why they use slow rpm diesel in machinery is that they last much longer (RPM kills every engine) and they are much harder to break. why they dont use big truck engine in f1 ? cause it is too heavy,to big and not powerful enough. And electric have more torque,but at stall, the faster it spins the less torque it gives, while petrol engines give almost smooth torque at rpm range. It means that petrol gives u the same "push" at start and at 30mph, while electric will lose "push" as u go faster. And your problem is that u try to deny physics law not even knowing that.

real power is torque, and that is what i have been saying all the time
If real power is torque than how much torque does an electric engine drain from your battery ? I am really curios about that,cause as for me battery gives u voltage and current which translates to POWER. Also,every electric appliance uses POWER in watts(horsepower) , not in Newton-metres.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:50 AM
bentgear

How is that example considered an excuse? Didn't know I needed an excuse for anything. As much as I rant about HP numbers even I think you are not willing to look at the whole picture on this on.

Ed M.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:40 AM
ryan_t888

It doesn't matter, the new T-Maxx would eat the E-Maxx

Ryan
Old 04-16-2006, 10:44 AM
xism

jackkpl, that was a nice explanation for hp and torque iam understand it a little bit more now. i have listen to ppl, but everything doesnt seems to be logic, thats all. And i was not talking about torque on the wheel, but right on the motoraxle.

i meant torque is "power" / strength / force ... whatever (not power in volts), i was little indistinct there

now, back to topic... electric vs nitro, whats yours experience about ep motors comparing to nitro ?
a savage ie, will be faster with a 800 size dewalt motor?
Old 04-16-2006, 11:05 AM
jkulhanek

not power in volts
now, back to topic... electric vs nitro, whats yours experience about ep motors comparing to nitro ?
a savage ie, will be faster with a 800 size dewalt motor?
Power is never ever measured in volts. Voltage is basically the "pressure" at which the electrons flow through a conductor.

USA1? Nitro Crusher? Are you stuck in 1990 or something?

One thing you do not seem to understand, is torque does not refer to a motor having a wide power band. Torque is a measurement of turning force at any given engine speed, not over a band of engine speeds.

Electric motors do have a wider power band than nitros, and genenrate plenty of torque at low RPM's. But 99% of the time a nitro motor will spank an electric motor in peak torque and peak HP.

And btw the fastest car in the world was powered by a jet turbine...not EP...
Old 04-16-2006, 11:46 AM
xism

yes, nitro crusher... so what? is a great truck! but did u see that post first now?... are u stuck in yesterday?

but come on... a jet turbine, thats not fair! the fastes ep car is faster than the fastes nitro car
Old 04-16-2006, 01:16 PM
AS-EE

Electric motors do have a wider power band than nitros, and genenrate plenty of torque at low RPM's. But 99% of the time a nitro motor will spank an electric motor in peak torque and peak HP.
Whoa hold up there, electric motors make many times more torque than a nitro. Always look for peak torque of an electric motor at stall not its running torque like you would for a Nitro...

mNm stands for milli Newton Metre right? If so the OS in the above post produces 451 mNm of torque. Thats 3x more than the 8514
Hold up there Ryan look at those motors stall torques before saying the OS has 3X more torque. The stall toque of the 8514 size 775 motor is 1215 mNm. So that means if I cross couple the OS enigne shaft to the 775 then the electric motor would instantly bring the OS enigne to halt and start running the OS enigne like an air compressor!!! I know this will happen because I had a non-believer thinking his .21 nitro could take on my Dewalt 820 motor. So I made a $20 bet that my Dewalt 820 would win against his nitro motor in a shaft vs. shaft duel so we got a machined coupling and connected them together. To be fair I let him run to his max torque. I then applied 24 volts provided by 2 12v gell cells. The engine came to an instant halt and started to turn in the direction that the Dewalt motor was turning and let me tell you it SHOT FUEL OUT OF THE NITRO FUEL TANK LIKE SOME KIND OF AIR COMPRESSOR!!!!!

Of course my Dewalt 820 is a battery loving beast so now I use the gasoline engine that you recommened me to use ryan.

Old 04-16-2006, 02:12 PM
ryan_t888

Have you read the whole thread? I believe at least 5 people have said already that these large electrics win in stall torque, but this is not useful for his application!!(Or for any application) He wants to convert to electric to get faster speeds. That is why I took the torque reading at a more logical speed!

What use is lots of torque at 0 RPM for more speed? I don't get why people still bring this issue up, it has been looked at many of times.

Also running an electric at such slow speeds is very rough on it. It produces up to 5X more current than what it is rated at for normal operation. This will most likely fry the electric motor with in a minute if gearing was setup for slow running RPM only.

Like I said before slow speeds/high torque is not going to do you any good when it comes to getting a fast setup

Ryan
Old 04-16-2006, 02:35 PM
xism

why would he read the whole thread? claims like "3x more torque" is enough to read

Nice to see that someone agree with me, AS-EE knows his stuffs!
Ryan u have much to learn
even a mabuchi 775 motor would crush your .21 engine in a torque comparsion.
imaging what an 820 would do
Old 04-16-2006, 02:40 PM
ryan_t888

I think you have much to learn.... As I said before my .12 (yes .12 not .21) is faster than my 700 series motor on 16cells, in a boat. Also on 16 cells it gets so hot even with water cooling, I dont see how it can handle 20v as that is what it's rated for.

Remember, torque is not nearly as important as HP when your going for a fast setup.

Ryan
Old 04-16-2006, 02:41 PM
xism

btw AS-EE, whats the torque of a 820 dewalt? and a .21 engine?

finaly! nice to know that i was right whole the time.
ppl has laughing me in the face the last couple of days

Ryan: well... thats about speed comparsion with same sized prop? on the other hand... i think a 700 motor can handle larger prop than the nitro engine can. am i right?

try it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.