Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Engine help

Old 08-04-2006, 11:25 AM
SpeedAddict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine help

I have an O.S. .18 in my Speedy Tiger and I haven't been able to start it for 2 months. I melted the clutch and replaced it, now my engine won't start. I put a new glow plug in it, got new fuel (Traxxas 20%, same as before) and my glow ignitor has a guage so I know it's charged. I returned the carb settings to break in settings. The temps where I am are 100-110 F during the day, so it's hot enough. the engine is about 9 months old.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:50 PM
r/ckid

Default RE: Engine help

make sure you have no trash in the carb then take the back plate off of the engine and clean the insides reall good then put it all back together and try again.

good luck
the r/ckid
Old 08-04-2006, 03:57 PM
SpeedAddict

Thanks man! You've been more help than my LHS.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:55 PM
125cchyperman

With those temps your engine will be overly rich. It may just be that your engine is to rich and is just flooding itself out. But I see that your from CA and with this recent heat wave it is hot but im sure that it's not always that hot there so it may not be that.

Try seeing if the carb is getting any fuel. Did you try priming the engine when trying to start it. When trying to start it put your finger over the exhaust pipe stinger and watch the fuel go up through the fuel line till it gets to the carb then stop. Take the glow plug out and put your finger over the carb opening. Then try to start it as if the plug was in the engine. This will draw the fuel into the engine. Make sure your face isnt over the head of the engine because when turning the engine over the engine will push the fuel out of the glow plug hole and will shoot up. If the fuel shoots up then fuel is getting to the carb and making it's way through the engine. If the fuel is making it's way through the engine then thats not the problem.

Try and put the glow plug in the glow plug igniter and see if the coil on the plug gets red hot. It should get extremely bright if not hen try another plug. Also how old is the fuel. The fuel may be contanimated and be bad. Try giving the fuel a shake or two and this will spread the contend of the fuel around and will make sure that the fuel is not seperated. And make sure that the glow plug is tight and the carb nut is tight. Also did you happen to tear the engine apart and then put it back together. If you did then you may not have reassembles it right. I'm not saying that your dumb or anything but trying to touch base on every possible things that could be wrong. But that traxxas fuel is not the greatest fuel in the world. Way to much oil content. And check for compression. Maker sure the flywheel is on tight and not just free floating. As I said before just trying to touch base oneverything.

There is a lot more things to check for. But try those things and if it still doesnt start then get back to me. Also try giving the engine some throttle when trying to start it. But do not go above 1/4 throttle as any more may do more harm then good. Just try those and then get back
Old 08-06-2006, 12:22 PM
SpeedAddict

I just bought new glow plugs and fuel from my lhs about 1-2 weeks ago. I took the air filter off my engine and my carb looks clean, I also have a Dubro in-line fuel filter. By the way, my fuel tank has a primer built in, so I sure it's getting fuel. And I've only been trying to start it when it's about 90-100 F because it'd be easier. Just so you know, it's 10:15 A.M. here and it's 71 F, but it'll get up above 90 by noon and won't go below 90 until about 7 or 8 o'clock. It does start every once in a while, but it dies quickly, especially if i touch the gas at all. It's been easier to start if I warm it up with my sister's hair dryer.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:23 AM
rangi

I't sounds very rich try leaning it a bit on the lsn then you might have to retune the whole carb once you get it running.
if leaning it dosn't work try richning it a bit but it sounds like its to rich. just rember where the nedle is when you start to lean so if it dosnt work you know where to put it back to to try something else.
hope this helps and please post reply so we know how you get on..