Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

problems with picco 28 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 04:23 PM
dotan987

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with picco 28 turbo

has anyone had overheating problems with this engine?
i am running it with 20% nitro, os p7/ novarossi 6tc.
the engine very insensetive to tuning, it's like runnig very hot and when i try to reach the needles it's becomes very rich. i am very good engine tuner, never had problems tuning engines, so it's must be a problem on the engine or something i do wrong.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Philster

Default RE: problems with picco 28 turbo

Are you saying it is super sensitive to tuning? I have found that my Picco28 can run pretty rich on 20% nitro and lose very little power. I can run at 210 degrees and get good power. I can dial it in just right and get 260 degrees and have it screaming.

I gave you a selection of plugs to compare to the OS, and there is a chance that the plug is giving you a narrow tuning range. It is hard to compare one companies plugs to the other. One companies 'medium' plug might be anothers 'cold' plug.

On a turbo engine, the plug issue might be emphasized. It is hard to tell, and might take a couple of 8 doller investments to find the right plug, because there is no master guide -- you can only take an educated guess when buying one.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:46 AM
dotan987

i think you misunderstand me, probably because of my english. i meant the that engine is not responding to tuning at all, and it's behave like the needle is off/on switch (lean/reach). the engine acting too reach or to lean, runs hot, and when reach the mixture it does not respond to a point and suddenly becomes to rich. the plug seems to be the right plug, and again i do know how to tune engines, i even tune the engines of many people at our track, so it's must be something wrong on the engine's setup. i'm beginning to think it's some defect in carb or something like that...
Old 09-21-2006, 11:15 AM
LunchBoxx

Sounds like the engine has an air leak, seal all ares were there are o-rings with a small dab of high temp automotive silicone sealer all the way arrond the o-ring and snug everything up. Let it sit for at least 24 hours and run it to see if anything has changed.

P. S. do not forget to clean the areas with rubbing or denatured alcohol before adding the sillicone, this ensures that the silicone can bond with the metal and you get a good seal.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Philster

I remember when I got my Picco .28 :

At a local shop, one guy stopped me and took his time to explain that you have to really press hard down on the carb when mounting it to the engine, and to be very careful when putting the o-rings on the needles. He said a couple of guys with the new Picco just didn't get the carb seated right, came back with issues that seemed like an air leak.

I remember mounting the carb, and the fit was very very tight, which is a good thing...but when the carb fit is very tight, it is critical that you really get it seated all the way down and make sure it does not loosen up when you mount it.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:11 AM
dotan987

thank guys problem solved. it was a crack in the header/pipe coupling that i did'nt saw... now it's runs like a beast!
Old 09-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Philster

Cool!

If you don't like that motor, then you won't like anything. It is a beast.

ENJOY!