Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

STS 30 ?'S

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 01:52 AM
Bobby33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS 30 ?'S

Does anyone have any experience with this motor. So far, I have taken out two shims, using O.S. 8 plug and going to be running byron 20%. I put it in my muggy for now.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:59 AM
mozzzy_2000

Default RE: STS 30 ?'S

one of my friend is running the STS28 and it rocks! Why take the shims out? You may trigger over compression is my thought. Most engines are good upto 25% before you need to add shims. Anyway just a thought..
Old 11-19-2006, 02:11 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The STS 30 comes way over shimmed from factory... STS puts 3 extra shims in the motor to help during break in...they did this to help prevent people from breaking their pullstarts... The motor will not run correctly with all the shims, expecialy with only 20% nitro.... I run just once silver shim and 30% and its perfect, the motor is very powerful and runs like a dream... IMO this motor needs higher nitro like 30% to even run correctly, 2 shims with 20% is way overshimed and the motor will not perform very well...

One silver shim and 30% is the way the STS 30 like to run, dont mess around with 20%.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:09 PM
Bobby33

thanks supertib for the information. i really enjoy watching your videos of your modded motors.....
Old 11-19-2006, 10:26 PM
mozzzy_2000

hey super thats news to me! never heard that before. I know many people using this engine without removing the shims and providing extreme power. Where did you find about the shim situation?
Old 11-20-2006, 01:15 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: mozzzy_2000

hey super thats news to me! never heard that before. I know many people using this engine without removing the shims and providing extreme power. Where did you find about the shim situation?
right from STS.... if people are happy with the factory 1.1 MM clearance they aint seen nothing yet... this motor barely runs like that.... With ther proper clearance this mill is a total beast...

when X-Treme dyno tested this engine they also did not remove any shims LOL unfortunate as this thing really wakes up when you remove the shims...
Old 11-20-2006, 01:26 AM
mozzzy_2000

a beast it is! I shall let my friends know about that one! Do you think its the same with the STS28?
Old 11-20-2006, 03:12 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: mozzzy_2000

a beast it is! I shall let my friends know about that one! Do you think its the same with the STS28?
no the STS 30 has almost 6X the head clearance as the 28...the 28 is really tight from factory
Old 11-20-2006, 05:42 AM
mozzzy_2000

no worries! yeah one of my mates has just run a sts28 in on his hyper. Gee massive of power hey. Seems like an awesome engine for the price hey!
Old 11-20-2006, 09:41 AM
SManMTB

Just check if the STS actually needs the shorter OS#8 plug.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:47 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

i have run both OS 8 and the MC-8......both are fine.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:44 AM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: supertib

Yeah, that's the thing. You do know that the OS plug is 1 thread shorter and will not fit properly in a head for standard length plugs?
Engine performance will go down and it can be tricky to tune. Been there done that. Just check to make sure you get all the power that you should get.

I know many does not listen to things like this and I feel like a broken record... LOL
Old 11-20-2006, 12:27 PM
supertib

Yeah, that's the thing. You do know that the OS plug is 1 thread shorter and will not fit properly in a head for standard length plugs?
Engine performance will go down and it can be tricky to tune. Been there done that. Just check to make sure you get all the power that you should get.

I know many does not listen to things like this and I feel like a broken record... LOL

yes I know this... but honestly that one thread doesn't seem to make any difference....The STS is meant to run the longer plugs... but I have the same luck with the OS 8 as I do with the MC-8... No difference as far as I can tell.... No tuning issues, and more power then any other Savage i've seen ( I have it on video if you want to see)
Old 11-20-2006, 01:26 PM
redfox03

so, even if i take out the two head shims on the sts .30, the MC-8 plug will be fine? how about the MC-59 plugs?
Old 11-20-2006, 01:30 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: redfox03

so, even if i take out the two head shims on the sts .30, the MC-8 plug will be fine? how about the MC-59 plugs?
take out 3 head shims...leave in one silver shim for 30%...and yes any plug will be fine, there is tons of clearance to the plug..... And this motor doesn't seem to run well on 20%, try to run 1 shim and 30%...the motor comes with 4 head shims. But the pullstarts are weak, be sure to break in the motor before pulling the shims, and be sure to pre-heat and loosen the plug..the pullstarts break very easily if you not careful, be warned ! I run a OS8 and also run a MC8..i wouldn't run a MC59 as it may be too hot.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:36 PM
SManMTB

I recommend that for any engine in this size (.21 to .30 or so) you should set the head-to-piston clearance to around 0.4mm regardless of how many shims are in there. It's always weird to define this measurement in 'number of shims'.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:50 PM
supertib

I recommend that for any engine in this size (.21 to .30 or so) you should set the head-to-piston clearance to around 0.4mm regardless of how many shims are in there. It's always weird to define this measurement in 'number of shims'.

actualy it come with 1.1 MM from factory...I have a few of these engines running, and as a rule of thumb 1 silver shim for 30% nitro has worked quite well, not everyone has the skill or means to properly measure the squish..and with the 1 silver i think is .65 MM so its easily within a safe tolerance

the funny thing is when XRC dynoed the STS 30 they did it with 1.1 mm of head clearance, and it still pulled the same HP as the STS 28 and slightly less then the Axial 32... The dyno operator didn't feel he needed to remove the shims, even though STS suggests it after break in..... All i can say from first hand experience is the motor went thru a tranformation after I removed the shims, DR. Jekyl and Mr Hyde type transformation... Its really a shame they didn't dyno it with a proper head tolerance as this mill would have lit up the dyno.... But that typical of this industry, unless its a Nova or Picco nobody gives 2 ****s...
Old 11-20-2006, 02:49 PM
SManMTB

1.1 or even 0.65mm is actually way too much clearance for such small engines we talk about here. This distance is actually a very critical parameter and affects performance a great deal. It's way too complicated to explain in a few lines here but I could dig up some links later on that should give a good idea of what this actually does.

Measuring the distance is actually very simple. You need a caliper (preferably digital) and some time and patiense to get it right.

1. Remove cooling head and head button (it might be in one unit like on many other cheaper engines, or in two parts like on higher end engines)

2. Put piston at TDC and measure the distance from the top of the liner down to the piston. Write down this number, let's call this A.

3. Now meaasure the head button. Measure between the surface that mates to the top of the liner and the part that stick down into the cylinder. Do this either with or without the shims. Write down this number, let's call is B.

4. Take A minus B and you have the clearance between piston and head. Add or remove shims to adjust clearance.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:02 PM
supertib

1.1 or even 0.65mm is actually way too much clearance for such small engines we talk about here. This distance is actually a very critical parameter and affects performance a great deal. It's way too complicated to explain in a few lines here but I could dig up some links later on that should give a good idea of what this actually does.

Measuring the distance is actually very simple. You need a caliper (preferably digital) and some time and patiense to get it right.

1. Remove cooling head and head button (it might be in one unit like on many other cheaper engines, or in two parts like on higher end engines)

2. Put piston at TDC and measure the distance from the top of the liner down to the piston. Write down this number, let's call this A.

3. Now meaasure the head button. Measure between the surface that mates to the top of the liner and the part that stick down into the cylinder. Do this either with or without the shims. Write down this number, let's call is B.

4. Take A minus B and you have the clearance between piston and head. Add or remove shims to adjust clearance.

your preachin to the choir here bro... the motor comes with 1.1 mm, and it still dynoed pretty decently... And there is a gian difference once you shim down... I will do some more measuring, but I am thinking I will have to go down to one copper shim to hit a good tolerance... My own motor is still fresh so I have been shimming down in stages as more fuel passes thru the engine...

now can you see why I am telling people they aint seen nothing yet if they are running over 1mm head clearance ??
Old 11-20-2006, 04:16 PM
SManMTB

oh yes. it's more info than anything else.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Bobby33

so far, I have taken the two copper shims out. Started it up with 20% byron and the motor was way too rich, so rich when I tried giving it throttle it would just die and there was alot of fuel coming out the exhaust. I could only start it up in my house since it is -25 below here in Alaska. I notice the screw that adjusts the low speed needle is way out, not flush. Well, guess I will have to order some 30% nitro since I live in remote village in Alaska. One last question, what brand 30% would you recommend.

Thanks for your help.....
Old 11-20-2006, 06:29 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: Bobby33

so far, I have taken the two copper shims out. Started it up with 20% byron and the motor was way too rich, so rich when I tried giving it throttle it would just die and there was alot of fuel coming out the exhaust. I could only start it up in my house since it is -25 below here in Alaska. I notice the screw that adjusts the low speed needle is way out, not flush. Well, guess I will have to order some 30% nitro since I live in remote village in Alaska. One last question, what brand 30% would you recommend.

Thanks for your help.....

with 2 silver shims you wil not get a good tune out of the STS 30, especialy with only 20%........its normal for the LSN to sit quite a ways outside of the housing......
Old 11-20-2006, 11:23 PM
SAVAGEJIM

yes I know this... but honestly that one thread doesn't seem to make any difference....The STS is meant to run the longer plugs... but I have the same luck with the OS 8 as I do with the MC-8... No difference as far as I can tell.... No tuning issues, and more power then any other Savage i've seen ( I have it on video if you want to see)
I do not have the D30M, I have the D28M. Since the D28M is much tighter, this engine requires short plugs like the A3, #8, and A5. A longer plug in the D28M will make this engine run away and over rev. The most common diagnosis when this happens is an air leak, and this is not the case. Any of you who have the D28M, be sure you use short plugs on this engine.

Now, as for the D30M, I'm not sure if this engine demands long or short plugs. If it runs great on either plug, then go for it. I know that STS engines come with different heads, heck, their .21 has a head button that you can interchange with a turbo button or a standard glow plug button.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:13 AM
SManMTB

What's so hard to understand when it come to short and long plugs? It has nothing to do with how 'tight' the engine is!
Just remove the head button and look at how the plug fits. If it's flush with the combustion chamber it's OK. If it's recessed the plug is too short. If it sticks down to far it's too long.
People have a brain right?
Old 11-21-2006, 11:12 AM
supertib

What's so hard to understand when it come to short and long plugs? It has nothing to do with how 'tight' the engine is!
Just remove the head button and look at how the plug fits. If it's flush with the combustion chamber it's OK. If it's recessed the plug is too short. If it sticks down to far it's too long.
People have a brain right?
so how do you like your STS 30 ? how do you have it set and what plugs are you using ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.