Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

O.S. Crankshaft locking tool

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 12:45 PM
almtx3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. Crankshaft locking tool

Its a topic thats been addressed over and over again. "Whats the best way to remove a flywheel or loosen a pilot shaft?". I for one have never been a fan of using my piston locking tool but when all else fails I pull it out, cross my fingers and use it ever so gently. I have also resorted to pulling off the carb and using the old back of the tootbrush trick. Well I must admit neighther one of these techniques convince me of being the correct way. But hey we gotta do what we gotta do get our cars running again! Recently I bumped into the O.S. Crankshaft locking tool for their line of engines. I had one in my hands and what a wonderful little tool. When I first saw it, I felt like the Guiness Beer commercial characters on TV - "BRILLIANT!" Well I immediately emailed O.S. (great planes) to see if they made this tool for my HPI .18SS engine. No luck, they only fab it for their line of engines. So I went ahead and emailed HPI asking them if they would ever have such a tool available but no answer yet. I would love to hear your opinions about this. Why isnt someone making these?? The crankshaft locking tool seems like a pretty good solution for a very common problem. Removing a backplate from any nitro engine is not a huge task and locking your crankshaft seems to be the safest way to go. Seeing how many of us have resorted to some pretty creative ways of locking the crankshaft why not make a tool that will do this easily and with minimum stress on the internals. Chime in with your opinions...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMW34&P=7
Old 03-30-2007, 01:07 PM
SManMTB

Default RE: O.S. Crankshaft locking tool

That looks like a useless tool to me. What's the purpose?

On tower's site is says it's used when installing the flywheel. Seems like a weird way to do that since you need to remove the backplate.
Just use a channel lock around the flywheel and tighten the nut. (You can find that tool for $13.49 )
Old 03-30-2007, 01:35 PM
almtx3

One of the best uses would be for removing a stuborn pilot shaft. Sometimes the flywheel slips on the collar and you need to lock the piston in order to remove it. Many guys resort to a piston locking tool that can damage the internals of your engine. Others remove the carb and lock the crank with the back of a tooth brush. Hydrolocking is also popular. This tool just seems like a safe and simple way of locking your piston when needed.

Mainly wanted to see if anyone has used one and what do they think about it.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:46 PM
SManMTB

You mean a pilot shaft adapter? (For engines without a pilot shaft)
Old 03-30-2007, 02:14 PM
almtx3

I have an HPI .18SS. The mannual does not reffer to it as a pilot shaft adaptor just a pilot shaft. All of my On-Road car engines have had pilot shafts so I have never dealt with an engine that does not have one. Done many rebuilds and I have used my piston locking tool numerous times and I've been really lucky. Never damaged anything. Even on my buddies car. He hates using that tool. Hey blew out a con rod on one of his engines once using the piston locking tool. He got a little torque happy and "pop"! You gotta be really careful with that tool. He's been coming to me ever since. I'm just affraid my luck will run out one day. Thats the reason for this post.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:16 PM
SManMTB

Then I don't get it. If you like to remove the crank shaft why would you insert that tool. LOL
Old 03-30-2007, 03:40 PM
almtx3

Maybe this will help. Check out the image. I am not removing the crankshaft. Sometimes it is necesary to lock your piston in order to remove the pilot shaft. You can clamp on to the flywheel as hard as you can but if it slips off the Collet everytime you spin the pilot shaft it will in turn spin the engine. So thats why sometimes you have to lock your piston. Hope that explains things a bit better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25609.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	653091  
Old 03-30-2007, 03:51 PM
SManMTB

Like I thought. The thing called 'Pilot Shaft' in the picture is also known as a Pilot shaft adapter.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:08 PM
HeLLsGoD

Its also called a clutch nut or a flywheel nut, theres probably 100 more names for it but we get it.

al18ss: I installed my lightweight flywheel without evening open the engine on my rs4. You just need to push down on the flywheel so the collet it sits on will grip the crankshaft. Then slowly tighten it till it can support its own grip and just keep tighening it
Old 03-30-2007, 06:18 PM
almtx3

thanks HeLLsGoD! Thats exactly how I got mine on. The post is mostly for those of us who have had to resort to using a piston locking tool in the past (for whatever reason) and what they think about this new crankshaft locking tool from O.S. I appreciate your help though and thanks for chiming in!
Old 03-30-2007, 06:20 PM
almtx3

ORIGINAL: HeLLsGoD
Its also called a clutch nut or a flywheel nut
Very true. Thanks for that one HeLLsGoD!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:19 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the type of crankshaft locking tool you're referring to and I first heard about them being used by the heli guys. It's a far better idea than the quick and easy piston locking tool that can punch holes in pistons (it's happened) or deform the piston crown. What I usually do though is take off the backplate then wedge some wood or a toothbrush handle against the crank counterweight where it can get trapped by the crankcase. On a full circle crankweb I'll trap it against the conrod lower end.

A hydraulic lock can work but you have to use a bit of sense as to how much load you put on it or the rod can bend. If you must do a hydraulic lock then fill the cylinder so the rod is at about a 90 degree angle to the crankshaft (roughly half stroke) to keep the leverage on the rod as small as possible.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:20 PM
adz06

i have piston lock but have stoped using it now what i do is get a set of vice grips and put foam round teeth and then set it so u can lock the vice grips round the flywheel so u dnt need to sit holding them tight.
ORIGINAL: downunder

I know the type of crankshaft locking tool you're referring to and I first heard about them being used by the heli guys. It's a far better idea than the quick and easy piston locking tool that can punch holes in pistons (it's happened) or deform the piston crown. What I usually do though is take off the backplate then wedge some wood or a toothbrush handle against the crank counterweight where it can get trapped by the crankcase. On a full circle crankweb I'll trap it against the conrod lower end.

A hydraulic lock can work but you have to use a bit of sense as to how much load you put on it or the rod can bend. If you must do a hydraulic lock then fill the cylinder so the rod is at about a 90 degree angle to the crankshaft (roughly half stroke) to keep the leverage on the rod as small as possible.