Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines > Car Nitro & Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Good mid range competitive motor (.21) help

Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Good mid range competitive motor (.21) help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 02:44 PM
RevToTheRedline
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good mid range competitive motor (.21) help

Hi, I'm in the market to buy a 1/8th scale buggy to race this season. I'm pretty new to the scene of 1/8th scale racing, but I really want to get into it this year, and want to go with good stuff.

I'm most likely gonna be going with a Mugen Seiki MBX5R buggy. But I come from a background of electric on-road racing, HPI cars. And currently have an HPI Baja 5B 1/5th scale gas buggy, which I've dumped more than $2000 into so far, but isn't taking me any further than bashing, there are no 1/5th classes around.

I want a good competitive engine but don't want to go totally overboard, $600 top of the line OS .21 and RB engines are pretty much out of the question, but $300 seems to be a good price point of a really good race motor.

I've looked at quite a few $300 motors, and the Ninja MR21 B01 is one of them. I don't know how good they are compared to other recognizable brands like OS. But it looks really good.

One of my main concerns is I don't want to get a motor with insane rebuild costs. Like a top of the line RB has a piston/sleeve/connecting rod cost of over $230.

I'd greatly appreciate it if you could all help me pick the best motor for me
Old 04-14-2007, 03:39 PM
JB COMP

Default RE: Good mid range competitive motor (.21) help

Some engine are overly priced. If you want a good engine that will keep up with a OS v-spec and RB WS7, then you might want to look into the STS D21B, and D21T engine.
The sts engines are fast, have lots of power, and I heard somone tell they got 13-15 gallons on one, but you should get at least 6-7 gallons (depending on how you run it)
and the sts 21 engines are $120-$175 (depending on which engine you get)

Heres whereyou can get one at. http://www.racernine.com/sts.html
Old 04-14-2007, 09:39 PM
what_stanger

Default RE: Good mid range competitive motor (.21) help

Ninjas rip. A couple at our local track really move out.