Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

salvageable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:38 AM
CrT-RaCeR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default salvageable?

I got a MR ninja .21 practically for free....the compression isn't that great but he "claims" it runs fairly well... and he stripped the backplate screws out (2 of them oposit from each other) and drilled them out so there stuck in the block and he kinda screwed the backplate up...I was wondering if i need to buy a whole new crankcase and backplate? (i really don't want to because its soo damn expensive) or can I use 2 screws to hold it in (i think its the top left and bottom right are in working order or bottom left and top right) and just silicone the hell out of it? Also...he took the idle screw out of the damn thing...so i need that also...If the engine doesn't run because of poor compression then i will get her pinched. Is this engine salvageable for running/bashing condition? if not RACING condition? This engine was very smooth before w/e JQA3 did to it so it will be a nice fit for my crt...any suggestions? maybe somebody has a idle screw that might fit or a block or a backplate? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Old 07-10-2007, 12:02 PM
BRUSHLESS BASHER

Default RE: salvageable?

it should work, wee if you can find some coarse thread screws that are made out of stainless steel, and are slightly bigger than the hole, they should dif into the metal and hold the backplate on, if not find some screws and try to rethread the hole, and are you sure it is the block that is stripped and not the screws, I had the same thing happen about a month ago, as for the idle screw I have no idea, try putting a coarse threaded screw in, and a ton of silicone. it might make a nice bashing engine, but if the compression isn't good, it might not run all that well.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:09 PM
CrT-RaCeR

Default RE: salvageable?

The block wasn't stripped, the screw heads were...he drilled them out so they are flush with the block, If you have any idea's getting them out...and if it doesn't run well....im going to send it in pinching....my $400 mill lost compression and would idle for anything got her pinched and modded and she run up and down the roads with no trouble, great low end a top end and great idle. She also stays in the 220-230 range constant on-off throttle...and this ninja is as old as it and the ninja lost compression exactly why the nova did....got hot and got left at TDC....I would love to use this engine as a basher engine and leave my picco .p3 .28 and novarossi .21 as racing mills. i remember there was a little rust on the crank (could be wrong) whats the best way to get that off? rag and elbow grease doesn't cut it