Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

.18 and .21 questions??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 07:15 AM
TuSlowJR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .18 and .21 questions??

how much power can a porting job really give... and is it really worth the money... cuz if u have too much power a 1/10 scale wont even grab the ground?!?! and how much of a power difference will u get out of a big block then a small block?? let me know wutchu think!!!
Old 08-19-2007, 07:56 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: .18 and .21 questions??

I don't think porting or modding is worth the money myself. If you do it yourself on a cheap engine and get a good gain, that's another thing, but high dollar quality engines don't need it if you ask me. As for the difference between .18s and .21s, well they're different sizes of mount first of all, but there are .18s that will give .21s a run for their money. The OS 18tz for example is faster than many .21s, but can't match the torque of the decent big blocks. When you get up to the high dollar big blocks liket he RB C6BB etc, then even the OS is utterly outpowered and outclassed, it's like comparing a golf gti to a lamborghini (with the top dollar .28s being the Veyrons). In a 1/10th car, you'd have to have a good reason for going big block, as you rightly say there will be problems getting the power on the ground in such a light car. But these problems can be overcome by gearing up and using foam tyres (if we're talking on-road). It's horses for courses as they say, a .21 in most 1/10th cars would actually unbalance the car due to the sheer weight of the larger crankcase and cooling head. What exactly are you planning on doing? What's the application?
Old 08-19-2007, 10:04 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: TuSlowJR

how much power can a porting job really give... and is it really worth the money... cuz if u have too much power a 1/10 scale wont even grab the ground?!?! and how much of a power difference will u get out of a big block then a small block?? let me know wutchu think!!!
A porting job can give you significat power gains, that is if you know what you are doing. Sculpting the ports and raising them to increase thier durations are what dictate if you will or will not gain any output increases. When advancing your timing profiles, you must first know what your stock timing profile is. Engine makers do not release this information so you must take apart the engine and measure everything yourself. Then, you must know what timing profile you want to increase the ports to. You must do calculations do determine just how much to cut to reach the desired timing profile.

As foxy already said, displacement gives you much more torque. A .18ci engine might produce as much HP as a low to mid grade .21ci big block, but the .21ci will always make more torque (unless the .21 in mind is an utter piece of trash). Also, bear in mind that in small blocks. .12ci race engine are still king and they will outperform even the mighty OS .18TZ. This is because of internal designs such as port configurations and timing profiles. For example, the OS .12TZ speed tuned engine is designed and produced from the factory with just about a maxed out port confiuration and timing profile. There is very little you can do to mod this engine to make it any better; it is in essence "modded" directly from the factory. The littls .12TZ Speed Tuned will spank the bigger .18TZ in performance. BUT the .18TZ will still produce crazy torque, but unfortunately, the .18 will not carry its torque curve into mid to high RPMs. This is where the little .12TZ Speedy shines.

Moreover, the same can be said about big blocks. .21ci engines will in many cases spank .28ci engines. A race designed .21ci will outperform most .28ci engines for the same reason why the .12ci TZ Speedy will beat the .18TZ: internal design and timing profile.

The reason why 12ci and .21ci are the "twink" engines is because these are race sanctioned displacements. Therefore, engine makers are throwing all the racing tricks and designes into engines of these displacements. They negelect to put these refinements into engines of other displacements because they are not race sanctioned.
The next displacement to consider is .28ci. .28ci has become a race sanctioned displacement not too long ago and sooner or later, you will see .28 big blocks having a whole slew of race tricks thrown into them. When a fully raced out .28ci hits the market, .28 will then be the best performing engines out there. .28 engines are already seeing race designs thrown into them, but they still have a bit more to go before they can perform like their high revving .21 racing little brothers.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:05 AM
TuSlowJR

i was lookin into gettin a o.s. zvrp version 2... heard it was a lil "BEAST"... u know n e thing bout it??
Old 08-20-2007, 04:10 AM
Foxy

I think you mean OS V-Spec VZR-P. The new(ish) v-spec 'race'. If so, then yes, monstrous engine, good enough .21 to take you to the worlds. I heard they are not without their problems though. Tell us what size you have decided on, and what the budget is, and we'll make some suggestions.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:14 AM
TuSlowJR

umm bout 300 bux... and im all about puttin a big block in a 1/10 scale... on the road... that engine is made by o.s. n i have never seen n e body with it... but i heard it was a monster... it's a 7 port competition .21... i was gonna get it in like 2 weeks but i dont wanna get into somethin i dont know too much about!!
Old 08-20-2007, 04:45 AM
Foxy

This is what you want... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/11359
Old 08-20-2007, 07:27 AM
SAVAGEJIM

i was lookin into gettin a o.s. zvrp version 2... heard it was a lil "BEAST"... u know n e thing bout it??
The OS V-Spec .21 engines are meant as buggy race engine since buggies in sactioned racing are limited to the .21ci displacmenet limitation (at least form the last I read; the rules might now allow .28ci).

If racing is in your mind, a big block in a 10th scale car will disqualify you. Not, 8th scale on-road cars are allowed .21ci engines.

On the other hand, if you are simply experimenting and straight-line top speed is your goal, make sure you get the highest gears possible for your car. Bear in mind such a speedster will not acclerate very well nor will it be nimble on the race track, you have turned it into a straight line top speed car.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:34 AM
supermod

this engine is about the fastest you can go she turns at 46000!!! http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPEJ0&P=7 .alot of people have been winning alot of mains with this little bugger
Old 08-20-2007, 12:18 PM
TuSlowJR

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

The OS V-Spec .21 engines are meant as buggy race engine since buggies in sactioned racing are limited to the .21ci displacmenet limitation (at least form the last I read; the rules might now allow .28ci).

If racing is in your mind, a big block in a 10th scale car will disqualify you. Not, 8th scale on-road cars are allowed .21ci engines.

On the other hand, if you are simply experimenting and straight-line top speed is your goal, make sure you get the highest gears possible for your car. Bear in mind such a speedster will not acclerate very well nor will it be nimble on the race track, you have turned it into a straight line top speed car.
yo im talkin bout the vzrp... it's not a v spec n it's not a buggy engine... imma order one of those rb engines probly... ive seen em run... i was lookin at a xenon r but a lil too price and masterious.. ive head rbs stuff cant b touched... and im not really down with the whole .12ci engines... they do way too much with little displacement... sounds like imma b blowin stuff up quick
Old 08-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Foxy

Round a track in my NT1, my RB MatrixR (.12) is almost too much motor for me, it absolutely rips, right up to 45,000, and I can regularly place mid-field in the a-main out of around 50 people, so I'm not a noob who can't handle it. Try a competition .12, it's what they're designed for. The Matrix is not an expensive motor and it gets my NT1 from 0-90-0 in about 4secs. Faster than a veyron. I don't think an on road .21 is gonna help you do that any faster. You see what I'm getting at? Grip limits, centre of balance and gravity, power to weight and all that. These .12s are designed to have as much power as is practically usable in a 1/10th. My Matrix, even though it's a .12 would eat up that OS .18 on a track as well.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:23 PM
nitrohead5300

Oh but you can get a OS TZ.18 so cheap from tower that you can afford someone like RBMODS doing an extreme mod on it then almost nothing will touch the .18 tz..
Old 08-21-2007, 08:20 PM
NitroBurner69

heres one.....check it out...good price!

[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/RB-CONCEPTS-S7-21-OFF-ROAD-NITRO-RACE-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ330156980894QQihZ014QQcategoryZ340 63QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/link]