Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Can't get my motor running

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Dekz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get my motor running

Well it's starting to get nice out again so I thought I would try to get my nitro running. I couldn't get it running last time I put it away so I went out and bought a new glow plug, set everything back to factory, and had a go.

I prime it and give it a couple of pulls; it starts right up, gives a rev, and then dies. Over and over and over, no matter what I do.

Sadly this was much more successful than my last attempt. At least it will actually start.

A couple times it started and actually ran for maybe 15-20 seconds, then something started smoking so I shut er down.
A few things of note that are probably key:
#1) When I tried to shut it down (by plugging the exhaust) it took at least 5-7 seconds for it to die. I seem to remember it usually working almost immediately (although my memory is a bit fuzzy, I haven't been able to get this thing running for over a year).

#2) The few times that it did run for a few second, giving it throttle seems to have NO effect. It didn't make the engine rev, very odd.

#3) Could bad gas cause these problems? It's the only bottle I've ever bought (when I bought the car), and it was (i now know) improperly stored. I'd really hate to go out and buy a new gallon and still not be able to get this damn thing running.

Maybe nitro just isn't for me. $500 and I probably ran 3 tanks with it before it died and I could never get it going again.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:05 PM
JB COMP

Default RE: Can't get my motor running

I don't like to shut my engines off by plugging the exhaust, because it floods it. So I just hit the flywheel with the tip of my shoe or by pinching the fuel line.

when you plug the exhaust it shouldn't take more then 2-3sec to shut off. Check to make sure your exhaust and all that is sealed good, and seal the engine with some RTV to rule out any air leaks. (do a search on youtube to find a video on how to seal an engine)
Old 03-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Dekz

Well I set everything back to stock again and after some finicking and a LOT of pulling, I got it goin!

I forgot how fast this thing is!

Once I bring it in and kill the engine, I'm not able to start it right back up again, it takes a lot of pulling. Is this a sign of anything in particular?
Old 03-21-2008, 02:43 AM
Dekz

Ok, I took it to a nice parking lot and got some real running in. I started to adjust the low speed to get it tuned but then I ran into a problem.

It starts right up on the first pull, but then it revs like crazy! I have the idle turned WAY down, and there's nothing wrong with the throttle, but it fires up and just starts screaming!

Any idea what could be wrong?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:33 PM
MaxdOut

Try doing the pinch test to see if you LSN is to lean, had the same symptoms on mine and the LSN was way too lean
Old 03-21-2008, 07:39 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks like you might have a serious air leak in the carb to me, if the throttle is working perfectly and it does accelerates out of control, I will say, you have an air leak in the carb and a small hole in one of the fuel hoses causing it to lean, did you see any bubbles in the fuel line? check the carb "o" ring, if everything is perfect, then readjust the carb as per the manufacturer instructions and start over.

Bad fuel will give you idle problems and hot running, but that's about it, if the Nitro evaporates you will have less power, but the fact with the fuel is that it will upset the ingredients percentages, so the fuel will not work properly.

I think, if you can run then after it dies it wont start again, definetly the engine is working too hot, does it lose compresion after it dies?

Regards