Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

RB 928 reaching high temps

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:06 PM
ProRCRacer88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RB 928 reaching high temps

I have ran a total of 10 tanks so far in breaking in this beast and now im seeing temps get to 230-250. This engine has never seen full throttle and is still running rich, i didnt lean it out much yet so im puzzled about why temps are so high. And it will idle for about 5 secs and then shut off, is all this normal?
Old 04-06-2008, 12:21 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RB 928 reaching high temps

ORIGINAL: ProRCRacer88

I have ran a total of 10 tanks so far in breaking in this beast and now im seeing temps get to 230-250. This engine has never seen full throttle and is still running rich, i didnt lean it out much yet so im puzzled about why temps are so high. And it will idle for about 5 secs and then shut off, is all this normal?

what brand of temp gun are you using ?? and those temps are normal for a new engine...piston is tight causing extra friction and heat.... as the motor breaks in the temps will come down and allow you to lean it out more....
Old 04-06-2008, 01:01 PM
UG0TB4NN3D
My Feedback: (1)

Have you checked it for air leaks?
Old 04-06-2008, 01:14 PM
ProRCRacer88

It really shouldnt have an airleak in it already since its a brand new engine. How do i check for that?
Old 04-06-2008, 02:25 PM
UG0TB4NN3D
My Feedback: (1)

Get some soapy water and kinda brush it on around the crank bearing, the fuel needle, and back plate, and then plug up the exhaust with your finger or something and blow on the fuel line. I think those are where most air leaks happen, there could be more, though.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:11 PM
ProRCRacer88

I took the engine off the truck and went to turn the carb a bit so i can turn the idle-set screw easier, because the way I had it at first it was hard to get to it. WHen i went to loosen the screw around the carb neck i noticed it wasnt on tight. So i got the carb turned and tightened the screw up like it should, hopefully tightening that screw was the problem with high temps.

Also i found a small notch in the side of the carb by the idle screw from where my screw driver slipped trying to adjust it. I put some carb sealant on it so will see what the temps are when i go back out with it sometime this week.

Thanks for that how-to info Banned.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:43 PM
ProRCRacer88

Update:

I ran 2 tanks in the 928 in my st-rr today and temps reached about 230 at the most, so I assume i fixed the problem. I did order another carb just incase and then i realized i probably wont need it, but it was too late to get it taken off the list, so I will have a spare carb sitting around now.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:10 AM
jonnymobil

well food for thought,i noticed that my temp guns and onboard temp monitors read a little high,thats because it is reading the hottest part of the engine,the glow plug for the temp gun and the lower cooling fin for the onboard monitor.my aftershock runs all day at about 140 from the gun and a drop of water on the top of the head wont even evaporate!just sits there.i was told this method is old fashioned but it works.water is water and it boils at 212.all the manuals say to check this way and it should take 3 to 5 seconds to evaporate off/boil. my thinking is that thecooling head designes today are so efficient at dissapating heat that maybe they just dont boil water anny more.all of the small blocks i have had this method worked well but my big blocks dont seem to take too well to this method.see if i lean my aftershock a few "hours" past where it runs at 240(temp gun reading) it boggs outbecause there is not enough fuel!and still the water wont boil.so basicly what i do is find the spot where it is so ritch it starts to bog,find the spot where it boggs from being too lean and go about 1/3 the way there from the rich setting.power seems to be good and temps are normal and the water wont boil so i think i am good.i hope i am good.annother way to do it i found is to start off ritch,then go till the power is at peak and then back it off till the power starts to fall of rapidly for each hour on the clock adjustment.