Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Engine help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:07 PM
dark321devil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine help

I have an rs4 with the .18 engine that it came with. went through 3 tanks of break in fine. Went to start up 4th time and doesnt start. I figure its the glow ignitor. Charge it overnight and go back out to the field. Doesnt start. I notice that the flywheel (the silver peice used for starter box is not turning with the crank. when it gets to TDC, and i turn using the flywheel, it just slips. Not good. I take it apart at home i dont see anything wrong with any of the parts visually. Also the entire crankshaft is moving back and forth about 1/32 of an inch. My other 2 engines, the crank does not move at all. What am i missing? does this have anything to do with it not starting? Any insight would be apprecieted.

p.s. also i noticed alot of oil coming from the backplate and the front of the engine. I know there was a DIY on how to seal these engines. i tried searching but couldnt find it. Can someone post a link. thanks
Old 04-15-2008, 09:26 PM
dark321devil

Default RE: Engine help

nobody..... i think i will change the flywheel and collet but should i change the engine bearing as well.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:41 PM
evil

May be the engine was hydro locked from having to much fuel losseing the glow plug and turning the engine over usually works for that problem.
Was the flywheel on the engine nice and tight???? Have a look at the manual and make sure the flywheel is fitted corectly and there are no washers or spacers missing as that will cause your crankshaft end float and oil to leak out of the front bearing.
Remove your backing plate and look and see if the crank pin has been rubbing on it.
If everything is as it should be then i guess the end float is standard for that engine and the front bearing needs to be replaced and the backing plate resealed.
I dont have any expeirence with that engine in particular.
I hope something i have suggested fix,s your problem... Cheers
Old 04-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure the flywheel moves and the crank doesn't? It may be hard to tell unless you take the CB off. If it is slipping, just remove CB and tighten crankshaft nut.

I take it you are using a starting box. If not, make sure it's not the one-way bearing in the pull-starter (or electric starter backplate) slipping.

Endplay is probably OK.

If this is break-in time, your glow-plug may have died. They don't last long during break-in. Use RTV for sealing (best to use Copper Oxygen Sensor Safe stuff, but the regular will work). Biggest leak is usually around carb pinch bolt, and sometimes around Carb upper o-ring. Never had a backplate leak, though I hear it is common enough. If you seal the backplate, use a tiny bit of RTV smeared around the backplate where the o-ring or gasket would go. You don't want any squeezing out into the inside of the engine.