Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Nitro %'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:21 PM
kersplat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro %'s

I will be a "guinnea pig here" I have been using 5% model airplane fuel in my R/C cars since the /70's with long lasting engine results, as well as good running and tunability. I am currently running a T-Max with the original 2.5 rear exhaust. I was using Omega 5% for the castor oil content. I started having "varnishing " problems as would be expected with the castor. I now blend 500ML of Omega 5% with 500ML Cool power 5%, the results are excellent and cooler, cleaner running. engine still has good pinch. I will keep you posted on the engine life as I progress.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:31 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: kersplat

I will be a "guinnea pig here" I have been using 5% model airplane fuel in my R/C cars since the /70's with long lasting engine results, as well as good running and tunability. I am currently running a T-Max with the original 2.5 rear exhaust. I was using Omega 5% for the castor oil content. I started having "varnishing " problems as would be expected with the castor. I now blend 500ML of Omega 5% with 500ML Cool power 5%, the results are excellent and cooler, cleaner running. engine still has good pinch. I will keep you posted on the engine life as I progress.
The omega is only a 30/70 castor/synthetic fuel, I wouldn't of thought the the 30/70 would have to much castor, because I run Sidewinder and its almost full castor.

I will be running Omega 5% when I'm done with my Sidewinder 30% and Coolpower 15%

How does the Omega 5% compare to running it on a Car fuel with 20% or 30% nitro? The sidewinder I'm using has 12% oil so how would that compare to using 17% with 5% nitro?

A video would be great too.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:17 PM
kersplat

JB COMP,

I don't really see much difference between High nitro "car" fuel and 5% "Aircraft" fuel. The T-Max has retained the snappy quick throttle response when I compared to a tank of O'Donnel's and a tank of the Morgan's "Omega /Cruel power" 50/50 blend. With my blending of the two fuels, I noticed even the "Traxxas"plug seems to be cleaner. I mainly "backyard Bash" in a local football field, so I have many 40 MPH 100Yd runs in second gear. Speed is fun . So far the upper end of the original con rod hole is still not "egged out". It must be the castor . All I know so far is the piston skirt is not tightened up with a heavy coat of varnish, just a light tan . Afterall if the piston gets too thick a coat of Varnish, it will not run cool. Mabe I will put one of my ole Veco 19 (McCoy piston/Ring), in the T-Max. Do you think it would still have the guts to make the Max sing?
Old 07-09-2008, 09:27 PM
one-syk

i always stuck with top fuel 33%, im going to do the same in the future.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:42 PM
JB COMP

Mabe I will put one of my ole Veco 19 (McCoy piston/Ring), in the T-Max. Do you think it would still have the guts to make the Max sing?
Plane engines just don't have the HP or RPM's the car engines do. I've seen both run.

Sidewinder has alot of castor and suppose to be full castor so changing to a 30/70 should be a little better. BTW I can get a gallon of coolpower/omega for $10.00 what can you guys get it for?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:17 PM
kersplat

My Veco .19 is a car engine. This is what we used in the /70's . When modified with Dick McCoy hop up heads , cranks and piston/sleeve combos, these engines were just short of the newer K&B 3.5 cc in HP. I can get Cool Power and Omega for $14.00 Canadian here.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:18 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: kersplat

My Veco .19 is a car engine. This is what we used in the /70's . When modified with Dick McCoy hop up heads , cranks and piston/sleeve combos, these engines were just short of the newer K&B 3.5 cc in HP. I can get Cool Power and Omega for $14.00 Canadian here.
Oh.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:14 PM
rpg711

how the hell are you people getting a gallon of nitro for 14$?
I can barely get a quart of 20% for 14$...
Is this blending your own fuels only for planes? Us people with nitro cars can't get a gallon for 14$...
Old 07-10-2008, 12:56 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: rpg711

how the hell are you people getting a gallon of nitro for 14$?
I can barely get a quart of 20% for 14$...
Is this blending your own fuels only for planes? Us people with nitro cars can't get a gallon for 14$...
First off I'm getting CoolPower and Omega 5% for $10.00 a gallon and those two are air plane fuels. Now I can get a gallon of Sidewinder race 16% (which is a car fuel) for $14.00

I live in Navarre FL (which in the USA) Morgan fuels is just a little under 2 hours away and one of the local shops drives there and gets the fuel right from the factory so he doesn't pay shipping on the fuel and that means neither do I.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:36 PM
rpg711

... a gallon for 14$... that's unbelievable.
Even subtracting the shipping, a quart would cost AT LEAST 8$
thats 32$ per gallon
Old 07-10-2008, 02:43 PM
youwish16

its cheaper to buy by the gallon. its even cheaper to buy by the case.

if at all possible, by fuel from local shops. shipping is a killer when it comes to fuel. i think tower charges like $40 to ship a case of fuel
Old 07-10-2008, 03:02 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: youwish16

its cheaper to buy by the gallon. its even cheaper to buy by the case.

if at all possible, by fuel from local shops. shipping is a killer when it comes to fuel. i think tower charges like $40 to ship a case of fuel
Yup, and when the LHS doesn't have to pay shipping that's less we have to pay.

I figured I can get a case of Omega 5% for $42.60 out the door. Where I'm paying $26 something out the door at another LHS for a gallon of Sidewinder Race 30%
Old 07-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Jaybo

ORIGINAL: wjvail

running 50% nitro in an engine that has be optimized for 25%, without modification, is asking for trouble.
i'm kinda new to RC nitro engines, so forgive me. but i've been trying to get started in some drag racing, and i've always been under the understanding that high nitro is what you want for drag. i imagine that's because it's capable of turning more RPM's?

but anyways... what kind of modification are you talking about? just adding head shims? or will some work on things like engine timing yield better results with higher nitro?

i'm pretty well versed in 4-stroke 1:1 theory (i've got a supercharged mustang i drag race), and i know that more oxygen=more cylinder pressure=more power. isn't it that simple in smaller scale 2-strokes?