Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Motor dyng or other problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 04:14 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor dyng or other problems?

I have a duratrax velocity .17 that i got with my rustler. I wanted to see if it ran, so I put my good O.S. carb on it and have been using a drill on the OWB to start it. It fires right up cold, and runs good for the first minute or so, and then without changing the needle settings it just gets really weak. Doesent seem to matter if i change the needle settings, it still just bogs and has no power. It mainly seems to lack on the bottom end. And when it does die, its about impossible to get it to start back.

So, is it just wore out or do i have other problems? Seems like it wouldnt even have time to warm up enough to lose the pinch? The motor seems to have more pinch than my pro .15, but the pro .15 runs perfect. So im not sure if it just needs a good repinching or what. I havent had any luck tuning it out with the carb. It does seem to idle fine.

Any ideas?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:48 PM
rccheech

Default RE: Motor dyng or other problems?

It sounds to me that the piston and sleeve is worn by the symptoms described, or a really bad air leak.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:36 AM
HJJFFFAA

Sounds like your pinch is gone. Airleak, maybe, but most who have had such symptoms needed to replace the piston/sleeve or get a new engine.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:54 AM
cummins driver

I know the carb was right. I took the motor off yesterday, put the carb back on my pro .15, and it ran perfect without touching the needles, so, I feel like the motor must just be worn...

It feels like it has good pinch just turning the flywheel though... IDK, but it has all the symptoms like dying, and hard starting when warm, so i guess its just gonna need a rebuild to run.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:59 AM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

I have a duratrax velocity .17 that i got with my rustler. I wanted to see if it ran, so I put my good O.S. carb on it and have been using a drill on the OWB to start it. It fires right up cold, and runs good for the first minute or so, and then without changing the needle settings it just gets really weak. Doesent seem to matter if i change the needle settings, it still just bogs and has no power. It mainly seems to lack on the bottom end. And when it does die, its about impossible to get it to start back.

So, is it just wore out or do i have other problems? Seems like it wouldnt even have time to warm up enough to lose the pinch? The motor seems to have more pinch than my pro .15, but the pro .15 runs perfect. So im not sure if it just needs a good repinching or what. I havent had any luck tuning it out with the carb. It does seem to idle fine.

Any ideas?
piston and sleeve is gone,

What happens is when the motor heats up the sleeve expands and the motor looses compression, which = low power and eventually stalls. Then it won't start because it has no compression until it cools.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:43 PM
cummins driver

Yeah, i think shes just worn out. I didnt figure it would warm up enough in a minutes time to expand enough to lose compression though. i guess it does. Maybe ill try pinching it back myself