Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

glow plug life

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 07:09 PM
wga22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glow plug life

how many tanks do you tend to get out of your glow plugs?

I seem to be getting about 4-6 tanks (small sample size)
Old 03-27-2009, 10:52 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: glow plug life

Your engine is far from tuned properly if your plugs are getting shot that quickly.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:07 AM
what_stanger

I change it probably every 1.5-2 gallons.

EDIT:not because the engine won't run anymore....but the idle could suffer a little bit, or I just know that i've had the same plug in for a couple of gallons and it probably would be in my best interest to just change it out.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:06 AM
thp777

ya ur engine definintly needs to be tuned

Old 04-01-2009, 11:39 AM
hrdcoreglf

Checking your glow plug should be routine maintenance. When you do your post run clean up you should check your glow plugs glow element. If it is distorted, really dull grey, etc.. it should be replaced. Glow plug life varies depending on nitro %, tuning, etc.. Most people forget glow plugs are disposable.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:03 PM
xt2nitro

I always check my glow plug at the end of each run. I do notice the very tip of the silver coil in the glow plug is black. My plug is only new! Is this normal?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Eganwp
My Feedback: (1)

That is normal at the very tip (1-2mm) where the coil connects to the shell of the plug. It's black because it runs a lot cooler at this point because it's attached to the shell than the rest of the coil.

But yea just wanted to chime in that I usually get 2 gallons on average per plug. Some I've had last 3-4 gallons, but I usually swap out at 2 gallons regardless. One time I could not for the life of me get my truck to tune or run right. Found out the plug was going, despite it looking fine when inspected. The new one completely fixed all issues. I'd make it habbit to swap em out at the 2 gallon mark though. (And at the 3/4-1 gallon mark on new engine break-ins).
Old 04-11-2009, 01:17 PM
wga22

thanks all. I will take some more time to tune the engine better. The car doesnt like sitting around though!
Old 04-11-2009, 01:46 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Longest life I got out of a single plug has been for about 3-4 gallons. I ran the same plug from break in until I noticed the engine was having harder starts. If you are tuned well, your plug will last a long time. Running both rich and lean will foul plugs quickly, you need to find a good tuning window where your engine/plugs are happy.

Tom.