Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Turbo plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 05:17 PM
xjqkz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo plugs

Do the turbo plugs need a different igniter? I've tried to put a freshly charged glow igniter and also an alkaline D cell charger on my turbo plugs but they wouldn't light up at all however if I use that same igniter on a standard plug it lights right up. I've 4 plugs that I thought were bad but when I attached them to a regulated 1.75volt DC power source they light right up.

So what is the deal with turbo plugs? Are all 4 of the plugs I have are bad or is it that turbo plugs require a different ttype of glow igniter?
Old 05-21-2009, 07:47 PM
SManMTB

Default RE: Turbo plugs

They are the same as all other plugs but they don't fit as well in all igniters, meaning the tip of the plugs might not reach the center connector on the igniter. It's happened tome a few times.

Check that and go from there.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:01 AM
Spetz

Mine works on the same 1.2v igniter I had

Maybe wiggle the glow plug to see if it lights up
Old 05-22-2009, 06:34 PM
xjqkz

Ok here's what I did. I have glow igniter cables from my starter box I connected the plug to the plug end and touched the terminals to an Alkaline D cell, nothing .... not even a dim or half a glow.  Then I touched those terminals to an almost 2v regulated dc power source and the plug lights up. I would definately know if the plug is not making contact.  However a regular plug lights right up with the 1.5v alk D cell.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:36 PM
xjqkz

My best guess about this is that there is probabbly some gunk stuck behind the coil 'cause I run 12% castor, 25% nitro and the 63% methanol ( I know exact ratios because I brew it myself)