Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

WD40 for Filter Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 02:27 AM
mentat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WD40 for Filter Oil?

Anyone use WD40 for filter oil? Good, Bad?
Old 06-05-2009, 03:22 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: WD40 for Filter Oil?

WD stands for 'Water Displacer' (or something like that). Is should not be used for any other purpose except protecting metal from water corrosion. It is an acceptable substitute for after run oil (in an emergency, but should not be relied upon, ARO is better), since what your ARO is doing is protecting the engine from the hydroscopic nature of nitro fuel, but UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should it be used as filter oil.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:52 AM
chookman46

There is one filter manufacturer that recommends it, I think its for the motor saver filters but not totally sure on that.  But for normal foam filters its not thick enough or tacky enough.  Personally I use Belray motor cycle foam filter oil.  Cheaper than buying a little bottle from a hobby store.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:28 AM
Steve.

I use BelRay too, it's the best oil for any foam filter period. A small bottle will last forever.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:26 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

we have been using K&N spray filter oil for years and it works great and is easy to work with.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Lille-bror

ORIGINAL: Foxy

WD stands for 'Water Displacer' (or something like that). Is should not be used for any other purpose except protecting metal from water corrosion. It is an acceptable substitute for after run oil (in an emergency, but should not be relied upon, ARO is better), since what your ARO is doing is protecting the engine from the hydroscopic nature of nitro fuel, but UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should it be used as filter oil.
WD40 will loosen any coatings and rust inside the engine, thereby scratches cylinder / piston.
NEVER use WD40 as after run oil.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:37 AM
larryf333

Can we please not start the WD-40 as ARO discussion again, some use it, some don't, it's personal preference.  I don't care about the chemical makeup of it or what people think it does to the engine.  I use both WD-40 and Marvel Mystery Oil. It depends on whether or not I remember to grab the MMO before I leave the house, if I forget it, I use WD-40, otherwise I use MMO. 

However, never use WD-40 in the Air Filter.  It will not trap the dirt/dust the way air filter oil will.  If you want a really cost effective alternative, go to the local auto parts store and pick up some Marvel Mystery Oil.  It makes an excellent Air Filter Oil and After Run Oil, put just a few drops in a plastic bag, put the air filter in the bag and squish it around.  Less messy and it oils the filter thoroughly, of course only do this after cleaning the air filter.  To use it as an ARO, just put a couple drops in the glow plug hole and carb and rotate the engine.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:43 PM
mentat
My Feedback: (1)

people fail to READ. i asked if it were ok to use as FILTEROIL. people should read.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:52 PM
larryf333

I'm assuming you meant air filter, correct?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:38 PM
moe7404

moe in wichita ks iam glad to hear larryf333 say to use MMO as filter oil and aro. i have been useing MMO in my gas street truck for decades. it doesnt suprise that MMO will do the job. subject change to street trucks. if you miss being able to get a MMO invers oiler, try this co. http://www.ampcolubes.com/ i have had one for 3 weeks it works good, was $69. but asjust it to 1/4 turn open. i had mine open to far and it used one qt in in 3 weeks, way to much. it should use one qt in 800-1000 miles. but it didnt cause any trouble. but it starts VERY fast.