Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Air filter oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:10 AM
hoosierbuddy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air filter oil

After cleaning an air filter, does anyone know of a good air filter oil (substitute)?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:06 AM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Air filter oil

Go get a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil from the local auto parts store. It's cheap, it's the same as AFO and you can use it as After Run Oil as well.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Airbus 9e

Any motorcycle dealer should have air filter oil...depending on what car or truck you're running, sometimes they give you a small bottle of filter oil...
Old 08-10-2009, 06:21 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: larryf333

Go get a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil from the local auto parts store. It's cheap, it's the same as AFO and you can use it as After Run Oil as well.
This oil is not sticky enough. Get some real filter oil.
Real filter oil is cheaper than a ruined engine.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:26 AM
larryf333

I've used MMO for over 6 years in all my air filters and have never had a problem. Could you provide me with an example where this oil lead to catastrophic failure of an engine?
Old 08-12-2009, 07:32 PM
stussman

Ive used automatic transmission fluid and never evr had a issue.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:35 PM
SManMTB

Hey look, you use what you want and if you think it's good enough foir you then fine. BUT as a general advice to n00bs coming here I would not recommend using anything else than real air filter oil. It is more sticky and is made to be used as air filter oil. There is a reason it exists.

[8D]

I've used MMO for over 6 years in all my air filters and have never had a problem. Could you provide me with an example where this oil lead to catastrophic failure of an engine?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:14 AM
larryf333

That's fine, but if something has worked for me for years and saved me money in the process, then I'm going to let others know it has worked, including noobs. We each have our own opinions, but I'm not going to stop recommending it until I see proof it caused an engine failure or I have a problem develop due to it. I run on dusty red clay in my front yard and my engines still run like a top. As long as the filter is oiled properly, whether it's a bottle labeled Air Filter Oil, or something that is similar to it, there will not be any issues caused by dirt getting through the filter. I use 30 drops of oil in my filters. I clean mine, then dry it, then I place mine in a plastic zip lock bag, put 30 drops of oil all around the filter, then squeeze the filter until the oil is worked throughout the entire element evenly. I have a couple extra elements I keep oiled as well. That way I can swap the filter without having to quit and clean/re-oil the filter. I just clean and re-oil them when I'm done running for the day.

Use what your gut tells you and what you are comfortable with. All I can do is tell you what I use.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's fine, but if something has worked for me for years and saved me money in the process, then I'm going to let others know it has worked, including noobs. We each have our own opinions, but I'm not going to stop recommending it until I see proof it caused an engine failure or I have a problem develop due to it. I run on dusty red clay in my front yard and my engines still run like a top. As long as the filter is oiled properly, whether it's a bottle labeled Air Filter Oil, or something that is similar to it, there will not be any issues caused by dirt getting through the filter. I use 30 drops of oil in my filters. I clean mine, then dry it, then I place mine in a plastic zip lock bag, put 30 drops of oil all around the filter, then squeeze the filter until the oil is worked throughout the entire element evenly. I have a couple extra elements I keep oiled as well. That way I can swap the filter without having to quit and clean/re-oil the filter. I just clean and re-oil them when I'm done running for the day.

Use what your gut tells you and what you are comfortable with. All I can do is tell you what I use.
Larry, without intending to labor the point unduly, Sman is right, air filter oil is sticky, MMO is not. They are different oils, and while it's worked for you for years, I strongly suggest you consider using real AFO, it WILL be better than MMO, even if MMO is 'adequate'. On the subject of advising others, I would be very hesitant to recommend an oil which is nowhere near the appropriate formulation for catching small particles, even if it worked for the pope himself. It's a case of safety. Perhaps MMO would be ok for this guy, or perhaps MMO would cause a major engine failure. At least with AFO you can be sure. By all means, if it's a temporary "until I can get the LHS" thing, then you are absolutely right to speak your experience of this easy to obtain oil, and I'm sure it is 'acceptable' in the short term, or in low dust envirnoments, but for general use, I would definitely strongly disagree with any recommendation to use anything other than AFO.

SManMTB may be a bit abrupt in his 'way' (as usual), but he's absolutely right (as usual). No offense SMan
Old 08-14-2009, 12:36 AM
SManMTB

Hahaha, oops.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:46 AM
larryf333

Well said Foxy. I guess if you guys do not want me to recommend it, I will not. I will continue to use it for my RC's, but will no longer recommend it to noobs.

My apologies SMan. The way you wrote your post put me on the defensive instantly. Kinda like when my wife starts an arguement. lol
Old 08-14-2009, 10:03 AM
SLAYERDUDE

Foxy Date 8/13/2009 10:19 AM
Larry, without intending to labor the point unduly, Sman is right, air filter oil is sticky, MMO is not. They are different oils, and while it's worked for you for years, I strongly suggest you consider using real AFO, it WILL be better than MMO, even if MMO is 'adequate'. On the subject of advising others, I would be very hesitant to recommend an oil which is nowhere near the appropriate formulation for catching small particles, even if it worked for the pope himself. It's a case of safety. Perhaps MMO would be ok for this guy, or perhaps MMO would cause a major engine failure. At least with AFO you can be sure. By all means, if it's a temporary "until I can get the LHS" thing, then you are absolutely right to speak your experience of this easy to obtain oil, and I'm sure it is 'acceptable' in the short term, or in low dust envirnoments, but for general use, I would definitely strongly disagree with any recommendation to use anything other than AFO.

SManMTB may be a bit abrupt in his 'way' (as usual), but he's absolutely right (as usual). No offense SMan
I agree 100%
AFO all the way.
When I run out I will be getting the MX stuff -way more of the same or better for cheap.
I think I used Golden Spectro air filter oil on my dirtbikes back in the day.

SLAYER
Old 08-14-2009, 08:40 PM
SManMTB

This is the internet.... it's text without faces, communication is bound to be short and to the point.
No need to be sorry, I'm not. It's opinions, do whatever pleases you.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:35 PM
j_blaze

saving money? its not like afo is like 30$ a bottle, just get the afo already. its like $3 for a 6 month sized bottle. as a substitute i would use ms. butterworths or karo syrup though, it doesn't get any stickier than that.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:49 PM
absolutemayhem

MUGEN imo is the best afo out there. and they sell it at a good price, and its super tacky when it starts to set.