Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Locked engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:48 PM
frankborges

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked engine

hey, i have a savage 21 nitro, i was running it the other day it ran perfectly fine, then i put it away before i did that i put some after run oil in the carb and engine, today i go and try it, i can't pull on the pull start, i took off the head and the piston won't budge at all, i dunno what happend, any suggestions??

thanks!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:16 PM
authorjim1

Default RE: Locked engine

Take the back plate off and check the conrod, it might be bent.

Can't think of much else.

jim
Old 08-28-2009, 03:49 AM
HomeDawwg

If the motor cooled whilst the motor was at TDC, the sleve could have shrunk around the piston and caused it to lock. Try heating the engine with a heat gun or hairdryer and give it a go, assuming the rod isnt bent.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:08 PM
jude26
My Feedback: (1)

Did you already prime the fuel through the line? Could be too much fuel and you'll need to clear it out.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Chris_RC

Use a screwdriver and try to 'pop' the flywheel up or down and then it should move freely.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:23 PM
frankborges

i've taken the engine out of the truck, and taken the pull starter off the engine as well, tried spinning the shaft and all i hear is a clicking noise?? what is that and another question, the bolts that are under the pull starter, what are they holding together and can the engine be opened from that side??

thanks
Old 08-29-2009, 02:33 PM
frankborges

another thing when i sping the shaft shouldn't the piston move up and down, because it doesn't , all i hear is a clicking noise when i spin both the pull starter part of it and the opposite part and no piston movement
Old 08-29-2009, 04:06 PM
frankborges

I've just looked inside the engine and theres rust on a few spots, and the piston won't move, is this engine repairable or should i go through hpi's engine exchange program??
Old 08-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: frankborges

I've just looked inside the engine and theres rust on a few spots, and the piston won't move, is this engine repairable or should i go through hpi's engine exchange program??
Take the head off and try to find something that has a flat wide base, like a screwdriver handle and then hit the top of it and see if it goes down. Might want to also take the backplate and pullstarter off and see if there is anything in there that doesnt look right.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:14 PM
frankborges

I have tried that, and i see the part that hooks on to the tranmission move, so i grabbed it and moved it myself and i watched the piston stop half way up the piston sleeve and push it right out, any ideas what that may be??
Old 08-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Chris_RC

I have tried that, and i see the part that hooks on to the tranmission move, so i grabbed it and moved it myself and i watched the piston stop half way up the piston sleeve and push it right out, any ideas what that may be??
Thats good if the piston pushes out at about 1/2way. That means good compression. my guess is that it is just has tons of pinch so it is hard to turn over. Does it more freely on the bottom half of the sleeve?
Old 08-29-2009, 07:26 PM
SLAYERDUDE

frankborges Date 8/29/2009 6:14 PM
I would take the engine completely apart if it was me.
The "transmission" is the crankshaft, the part that goes thru the bearings and flywheel and rotates with the flywheel.
The "part that hooks on to the tranmission " is the connecting rod that connects the piston to the crankshaft.
Pushing the sleeve out is normal when the engine is in good condition and still has alot of "pinch".
Take the sleeve out and the connecting rod will come off the crankshaft allowing you to remove the piston and rod as an assembly.
***NOTING THE DIRECTION THE ROD WAS FACING - I.E. WHICH SIDE WAS FACING THE CRANK***
Inspect the case to be sure there are no chunks of metal such as the piston skirt or a bearing cage floating around in there.
Inspect the piston and rod to be sure they are not cracked or broken.
Spin the crankshaft and the bearings should feel smooth as silk.
If rotating the crank feels gritty or rough the bearings need to be most likely replaced.
You will be able to see the inner bearing, make sure all the balls are there and the cage that holds them is intact.
While the piston and sleeve are out check the pinch by sliding the piston up and down in the sleeve it should get tight before reaching the top of the sleeve with the top of the piston.

Pictures would be really helpfull.

Hope some of this helps and please rate my post if it was helpful.

SLAYER
Old 08-29-2009, 09:09 PM
frankborges

I have looked into the engine, under the piston is rusty, the piston shaft some spots are rusty, could that be holding it back, i dunno what else to do?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:13 PM
frankborges

i've put the entire engine back together, now and pulled on the pull start, now i get a clicking noise, it sounds like its the little pin that cranks on the engine.......sounds like its skipping...
only thing i don't understand about this problem is that i had it running last week like mad and this week i try it and its dead in the water......... any reason why??
Old 08-29-2009, 10:35 PM
SLAYERDUDE

another thing when i sping the shaft shouldn't the piston move up and down, because it doesn't , all i hear is a clicking noise when i spin both the pull starter part of it and the opposite part and no piston movement
I missed this post.[sm=drowning.gif]

So if you spin the flywheel side of the crank the piston does not move...
AND if you spin the pullstart side the piston still does not move...
Old 08-29-2009, 11:22 PM
frankborges

yeah, when i have everything together on the engine i cannot spin nothing, all i hear is a clicking sound from the pin trying to spin the crank shaft, but when everything is apart the piston pushes up the sleeve and goes back down again, but before all of this happend, i could push the piston up and down and it wouldn't push the sleeve up.