Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines > Car Nitro & Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

.18 nitro engine stays slightly out of tune, help!

Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

.18 nitro engine stays slightly out of tune, help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:11 PM
3D 4 ME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .18 nitro engine stays slightly out of tune, help!

After several months of storage, my engine is finally running. I got it to sustain itself and run consistently but it's still a little out of tune. Here's the problem, if I lean out the high end needle just a tad more than where it is now, the engine quits at 3/4 throttle, if I richen the mixture it will quit at the slightest trigger pull. Low end is exactly where it should be. Could it be the glow plug? The current plug is about half as bright as it should be. I don't know if it's the cause, but something is causing the engine to run just a little too sluggish. Any suggestions?
Old 03-18-2010, 04:56 AM
JDenyer232

Default RE: .18 nitro engine stays slightly out of tune, help!

I would put a new glow plug in it. This should be the first place you should start when having engine troubles. Especially if the glow plug is only half it's normal brightness. Sounds like it's running lean and when you richen it up it cools the already bad glow plug below it's ability to sustain combustion. Hope this helps.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:22 PM
RC Panda

Try pluging in a now plug and see how she runs..... post back if it is still the same problem.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:44 PM
3D 4 ME

Thanks, I figured the plug was causing this problem. I have a brand new plug right here but I'm going to my LHS to pick up a spare. I might buy some more Byron 20% fuel too, I recently tried a sample bottle and I liked it more than Trinity's Monster 20%.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:13 PM
3D 4 ME

I installed a new plug, but it was a little dim. The engine doesn't quit anymore, but it's still running too rich. Also if I lean the needle valve, the engine runs at a really fast idle and tries to move the car. It's very perplexing, I think the richness might have something to do with the fact that I poured monster 20% in my tank right after a tank of byron 20%.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:03 PM
RC Panda

Well... if it's still trying to move forward while idle, adjust the idle needle. But good to hear you got it working.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:02 PM
3D 4 ME

Thanks, I'll try it this evening. This will be the perfect way for me to get in the mood for RCX tomorrow. That reminds me, I'll be posting tweets throughout the show so be sure to follow me on twitter for event coverage, my twitter name is NitroJunkie626.