Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

striped head/backplate bolts on a vzb

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 03:28 AM
larryjgarner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default striped head/backplate bolts on a vzb

this is my first post,,please be easy on me,
recently i bought a used o.s. vzb (not the v-spec,the old one) and i love it to death,bought it for a bashing engine, but i have noticed the front bearing is starting to spew a bit too much and as i was starting to tear it down i realized that every hex was rounded out very badly,its not my wrenches btw,i was just wondering if anyone knows a non-destructive type salution for removing stripped out head bolts.i have tried many things myself like grinding down a slightly larger wrench to try to make it fit with no succes,and the previouse owner also tried to get'em out by breaking off the cooling fin parrelel with the bolts,so im guessing he did this to try to remove them with pliers or something,i didnt notice it when i was buying it,my mistake,but it is still a very good engine with alot of pinch/compression left and i just want to tear it apart for maintainance/inspection,so if anyone knows of a company that services stuff like this,(allready got a NO from o.s. and A.B. mods,they told me just junk it),but thats a waste and im poor,im not wasting a good engine,but any ideas you may have i will gladly welcome,iv had one strip out kinda bad but these things are just tight as can be,,thanks for any input.i'll put some pics of the broken fin if you wanna see them,,kinda funny.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:18 AM
johndavis

Default RE: striped head/backplate bolts on a vzb

get a ez-out  might have to grind on the ez-out to get it to bite
Old 05-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a problem similar on an older kyosho engine. Finally i ended up drilling the heads off the screws and replacing them with new ones.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:43 PM
bigdogkanicsar

i agree with john davis, an ez-out is your best bet
Old 05-26-2010, 01:58 AM
larryjgarner

ya,,thanks guys,,i tottaly forgot about ez-outs,too much puffin,,i have a set too around the house,,i feel like a idiot now,lol,,,but thank you very much for replys and guidance,it is much appreciated,thank you.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:48 PM
gearjammen

try a reverse drill bit in the head bolts when the left hand bit grabs it should pull the bolts out. on the backing plate take a dremel and cut a slot in them and use a screw driver and pull it out.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:28 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gearjammen

try a reverse drill bit in the head bolts when the left hand bit grabs it should pull the bolts out. on the backing plate take a dremel and cut a slot in them and use a screw driver and pull it out.
The dremel is the best option for the back plate screws. Easy outs will very easily turn a stuck screw into a rivet and really only give you a head ache, you are also required to drill through a hardened screw with a very small drill bit... you will destroy your threads. For the stripped head screw, put a small glob of jbweld on the end of an allen wrench. Push the allen wrench into the screw and let it sit for the night so it can fully cure. You should be able to loosen the screw now. If that doesn't work, find a 1/8" drill bit and just drill the head of the screw off, stop one the head comes loose so you have a nub to work with later. Then use the dremel to cut a slot in the nub once you can get access, you may just be able to unscrew it with your finger.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:00 PM
bigdogkanicsar

yeah easy outs aren't that great for for philips head screws but for allen head screws there is no drilling required. you just need an easy out that will fit tightly in the allen hole in the head of the screw.

plus if it's a pull start back plate the screws are recessed making sloting with a dremel very destructive.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:54 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have tried tons of times with easy outs, never had any luck, it seems to strip them further. He has a vz-b, which is not a pull start motor.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:16 PM
bigdogkanicsar

easy outs can be tricky. the key is the high dollar easy outs are better, and they have to fit tight or they just strip it further.
if it's not a pull start, then definitly slot the screws with a dremel like proanti1 said. it takes the guess work out.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:35 AM
mattyb13

Hi there,
Not sure of you are still having trouble with your V-SPEC but I had the con-rod snap in mine and pretty much destroy the internals. HOWEVER, all of the externals are in "like new" condition. If you need a backplate or a head or the hw for any of it OR an additional carb for that fact pm me and we can work something out. The engine is sitting and doing nothing as the snapped con-rod at full throttle shredded the insides of the engine...
Old 02-18-2012, 01:02 AM
larryjgarner

pm sent,,,lol...you have v-spec version ?if so thats fine,,,from what i was told parts between the vzb-p and the vz-b v-spec were pretty much interchangeable,,,please,,,someone corect me if im wrong,,,thank you very much...btw...engine was pulled apart finally,,,sitting in protection waiting to be revived,,,,need new piston/sleeve/rod/pin/carb-orings i would change,and front bearing,new head,,,,love this engine,,,theres alot of them out there,,but this one was a gift givin by my mother,,so its kinda,,u know,,oh,,,and since i asked about interchangeability between these two,,,does any one know if the carb necks are of the same length,,,,,but yes,,im interested in your engine very much so..thank you...