Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > Carden Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Educate me about Carden's kits...

Community
Search
Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

Educate me about Carden's kits...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 12:51 AM
fiveoboy01
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Educate me about Carden's kits...

I am considering buying a Carden aircraft. I know they are kits and I have a few questions:

How complete are they? Do I get any hardware or does the builder have to supply their own?

Do they even come with an instruction manual?

How does construction of a sheeted foam wing differ from a built up one, as far as building techniques?

I realize that they are for a more advanced builder, but just how difficult are they to construct well? I've built mabye a half dozen kits, but nothing too complicated.

Any other details about the kits/building process would help.

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:40 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Educate me about Carden's kits...

ORIGINAL: fiveoboy01

I am considering buying a Carden aircraft. I know they are kits and I have a few questions:

How complete are they? Do I get any hardware or does the builder have to supply their own?

Do they even come with an instruction manual?

How does construction of a sheeted foam wing differ from a built up one, as far as building techniques?

I realize that they are for a more advanced builder, but just how difficult are they to construct well? I've built mabye a half dozen kits, but nothing too complicated.

Any other details about the kits/building process would help.

Thanks.
Hi Bill,

Carden Aircraft kits are not any harder to build than any other kit on the market, they're just different. I'd say they require different techniques, but they really aren't any harder. There is an instruction manual but they are fairly general instruction and don't detail every little technique required. You need to have some building experience (although you can always ask here for help.. there are LOTS of people here who've built Carden kits who can help you). The kits generally don't include hardware like control horns and such, but everything required to build the airframe is there (cowl brackets, stab brackets, etc). Most builders have their own favorite choices for control horns, tailwheels, etc. anyway. They DO sell a complete hardware package though that includes every nut and bolt required to finish out the airplane. Personally, I think a sheeted foam wing is the easiest method there is to get a straight wing panel, however there are some requirements to do so. You need an absolutely flat workbench that will remain flat with up to 200 pounds on it. If you can bow the bench, you can bow the wing on the bench.

What I'd suggest is to see if you can find someone in your area who has a Carden airplane flying and take a look at the construction to see if it's something you want to do.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:13 AM
Velox Pilot

Hello,

Well I have built two Cardens and they are alot more time to complete. Not harder just alot more time to build. The sheeting of parts is like any other manufacturer but building the fuselage is pure scratch building from balsa sticks. There are many options out there that are more cost effective and less labor intensive for sure. Aerotech, Aeroworks(what few there are in kit form left) and Lanier.

Later

Ted
Old 09-16-2004, 09:35 AM
PJFaller

I would definately agree there is a lot of work in the kit...BUT....They are just incredible airframes very durable and well thought out. I have built five of them and in my opinion they are the best on the market. The edge trued sheeting is just awesome and everything fits just perfect. Its true you have to build the fuse from sticks, but with some patience it can be built in a weekend easily. there is no guessing to what goes where on these kits. Nothing is frustrating. it is a straight forward build but you have to like sanding. Carden's are the only Imac style airplane I will purchase build and fly. I have had great luck with them. Had a 30% extra that was eight years old over 1500 flights and looked brand new. They are really durable airframes. Pm me any questions or if you want to chat Pm me your number.

Pete
Old 09-16-2004, 10:12 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: PJFaller

I would definately agree there is a lot of work in the kit...BUT....They are just incredible airframes very durable and well thought out. I have built five of them and in my opinion they are the best on the market. The edge trued sheeting is just awesome and everything fits just perfect. Its true you have to build the fuse from sticks, but with some patience it can be built in a weekend easily. there is no guessing to what goes where on these kits. Nothing is frustrating. it is a straight forward build but you have to like sanding. Carden's are the only Imac style airplane I will purchase build and fly. I have had great luck with them. Had a 30% extra that was eight years old over 1500 flights and looked brand new. They are really durable airframes. Pm me any questions or if you want to chat Pm me your number.

Pete
I would agree with that too Pete. You won't find another airframe that will outlast a Carden. If you like to keep an airplane for a long time.. the Carden is the way to go. Also.. because of the type of construction, I believe they absorb vibration better. I have no data to bear that out, but it's my opinion. The one thing you do have to watch out for is weight. Because of the nature of the way the Carden kits are built, you CAN get them heavy in a hurry if you like to slather on the glue. They certainly can be built very lightly, you just have to pay attention. My new 40% Extra 330S, ZDZ-160 Champ, JMB cannister mufflers weighs 38.5 pounds.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:18 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

Here is another data point for you:

Over half the entries in the Extreme Flight Championship were flying Carden planes. I doubt many of the pilots actually built the kits themselves -- in fact in the Propwash video most of the entries interviewed thanked their personal builders as part of their sponsors.

When I bought my 35% edge, there was a 3 month waiting list. Keep in mind, it's an $800 kit. You can get a pretty good ARF for that cash. I believe the demand is high for a good reason. You can see that Carden planes hold their value in re-sale as well.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:35 AM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

I agree with everything above. As you will note, there are a lot of people who are Carden fans and who have built/bought Cardens over and over again. Dennis and Carolyn are the greatest people to work with. I

f you are worried about building one, check www.edge540.com or www.extra330.com Both detail building cardens with lots of pictures.

Sheeting wings is easy - you just have to use the right process. I have two pool table slates that I picked up from a pool table repairman for almost nothing because they were chipped. I place the wings in the shucks and then add weight (I use close to400lbs on a 40% wing panel, but 200 is good enough). With the pool table slates, it is impossible to end up with a crooked wing.

If you are still concerned about building, you can always hire a professional builder. Be forewarned, most have a LONG wait list. Prices vary from builder to builder, but expect to pay at least the price of the kit to have it framed up.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:43 AM
Velox Pilot

Hello

I must disagree on the fact nothing lasts longer than a Carden. I have at least 400 flights on my 35% Velox over the 2 years and Ive had some hard landings and My airframe is still rock solid. I believe my Aerotech kit is as strong as any Carden. I have both so I can speak from experience. Have fun with whatever you buy.

Later

Ted
Old 09-16-2004, 12:21 PM
PJFaller

Doug,

Whats your opinion on the cannisters. I talked to dennis yesterday and I think im going to get another 40% 330 on the next kit run. Ive never used cannisters before. I never had a noise problem with anything, but thinking about getting back into IMAC. haven't been competeing for a few years and wonder if I show up with a DA150 and no cannisters do you think I will have a problem? Also do you find any advantage to them with the exception of noise reduction? Thanks.

Pete
Old 09-16-2004, 12:33 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

Another vote for Carden. I have the 40% Extra with DA 150 and MTW canisters with an all up weight of 38 lbs. Best flying plane of any I have owned. Another big plus of cardens is all of the wood is edge trued for you . . . a really big time saver. As for strength, I had an engine quite in a Torque Roll (no gas!), and only bent the gear. had it up and flying the next day. A friend did the same with a Composite brand. Had nothing left. As for the people on this post trying to tell you about other wood kits I have only one thing to say . . What other kits? There is only Carden. (I am not sponsored and owe nothing to Carden except thanks for a great product)

Rob
Old 09-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Velox Pilot

Hello,

Okey Dokey

Later

Ted
Old 09-16-2004, 03:13 PM
as722

I agree with Rob T. Even if other wood kits were as good as a carden ( I think not) the fact that all the sheeting comes trued for you makes building a lot easier. Buy the carden, you'll be glad you did. There's a reason why carden always has a waiting list for their kits.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:25 PM
RobT

Hey Albert, I just got two emails today. You are going to be one of three Carden Yaks This year in the northeast! Can you guess who the other wto will be? (I'm sticking with my Extra, I bought it for the long haul)

Rob
Old 09-16-2004, 06:20 PM
as722

Mark V. is one. I have no idea as to who it could be. Is Greg Delucas the other?
Old 09-16-2004, 10:46 PM
RobT

Mark V . . then make that four in the NE including you. Greg is probably a maybe. I heard he was impressed with your Extra.

Rob
Old 09-17-2004, 01:38 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

From my experience with the Cardens, they do consume more time due to the 2 piece cowls and the canopy arrangement. This area is the most stickler part of the build for me because of the fitting up time. There's also a lot of time put into the shown lightening holes per plans. The wood in a Carden kit is top shelf along with the packaging and support. If I were to gripe it would be that some of the sheeting is a tad heavy for my liking but of execellent quality. You can see the expence of these kits when you open the box. All the Cardens I have built were very much worth the effort and cost. Its a project you definately can be proud of and with a little luck will last a long time. Good luck Walt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29413.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	174339  
Old 09-26-2004, 08:41 PM
Falcon_az
My Feedback: (25)

The thing that keeps me 'up at night' is the covering... a 40%'r is a huge covering job! Paining the cowl and canopy... another trick. Getting a match between paint and covering... not easy.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:25 PM
OnTheEdge

ORIGINAL: RobT

Mark V . . then make that four in the NE including you. Greg is probably a maybe. I heard he was impressed with your Extra.

Rob
I believe Pete has one on order as well.

........Mark
Old 10-17-2004, 10:00 PM
jw637362

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just have to throw in My 2 cents- Cardens are great. Built it right and it will be a great plane. Very strong and the wood used is excellent. Mine was crashed and I took about 20 hours to rebuild and it is as good as new due to the quality construction. If I was to purchase another kit, it would be no contest.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:41 PM
RobT

Pete, Rich, Albert, Mark . . . Carden 40% Yak's

Paul, Myself Carden 40% Extra's (yes Paul is getting his back my Pop is going to build the fuse)

Sandy 35% Edge (I'm building it)

Pop 35% Extra

I'm Building a Cuda for fun . . . and keeping an eye on the Yak and 260 . . . Seems like the 330 will still be the plane to beat . . .

Rob T
Old 10-18-2004, 05:05 PM
OnTheEdge

ORIGINAL: RobT

(yes Paul is getting his back my Pop is going to build the fuse)
Is Paul going to build the surfaces and finish the rest? I hope to see the finished product before I retire
Old 10-18-2004, 05:06 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Carden kits are true builder's kits. As mentioned, you need a perfectly flat table (not your $40 home depot special!)

A> Quality is truly outstanding
B> All wood and foam required to build is present and accounted for
C> The edgework on the sheeting is second to none and saves hours in assembly time and sanding
D> They require a lot more patience than skill to assemble..so if you are in a hurry don't buy one
E> They require a very good attention to the weight / strength curve (it is very easy to build it too heavy)
F > When finished you will not have a stronger, more durable, better flying airplane PERIOD
G> When was the last time you have seen "years old" ARFs or other kits. I have seen 5+ y/o Cardens

IMO there is not a better plane kit on the planet. You do need a lot of time, but you will be rewarded with a work of art when you are done!!

If the Carden scares you now.. you can look at CA models, or Aeroworks. They are both good kits, but nowhere near what the Carden is in finished form.

And no - I don't work for Carden..
DP
Old 10-18-2004, 05:56 PM
RobT

I THINK he is going to build it, but I think he would be better of getting it vacuum bagged. Does Albert have a vacuum setup?
Old 10-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Leardriver
My Feedback: (12)

Ya know...I think I am getting slammed hear right under my nose (MARK!). I do believe someone needs a good old fashioned smack in the chops the next time I see him (Mark!)[>:]! Lol!

Paul
Old 10-19-2004, 02:50 PM
as722

I hope bob just builds the fuselage and doesn't cover it because by the time paul gets done with the wings the color monokote used on the fuselage might be discontinued. Thirty years from now when Paul gets done with the wings I'll be able to tell my grand kits that that was the airplane drandpa use to fly three decades ago. I wonder if he'll be able to get parts for his engine by the time he gets it done?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.