Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

Carden 35% Extra Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 05:38 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carden 35% Extra Build

I finally received the wood kit for my Carden Thursday night! Somehow I managed to just drool over the box that night and put off any actual building until Friday. So since then I've managed to get the motor box assembled, the fuse sides built and sheeted and joined to the motor box. So far everything has gone together very easily. The fit and finish of the wood parts are outstanding. You can really tell Dennis puts a lot of time and care into each kit.
Caroline has told me I can expect the foam parts in another week or so....I hope they come sooner rather than later! I'm going to run out of the things to do to the fuse quickly! If I can stick to my schedule, I should have this finished by mid-april...just in time for the flying season to begin in Ohio!

I've got a DA100 for it and KS cans on the way. I'm leaning towards Hitec 5945 servos all around, though that decision doesn't need made right away. Futaba PCM rx, emcotec DPSI for power distribution, and Fromeco liIon's will finish off the electronics.

I've been documenting the build on a website I setup just for this. If anyone cares, feel free to check it out. http://www.flagcityflyers.com

I can't wait to get this thing in the air!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86129.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	216072  
Old 01-16-2005, 06:49 PM
ballistic1
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Carden 35% Extra Build

Looks Great ,
I picked one up partially done 2 years ago -fuse built -stabs and vertical fin, and I have FINALLY gotten around to finishing it.
I decided to use a single 8611 servo for each wing; my theory is that I can reduce some weight
on the tips of the wings and I won't need a matchbox .
I had a 35% cap 232 and it was fine with a single 8411 on each aileron. As of today,
I have the wings almost ready to go into the vacuum bags.
Good Luck with your build -- you will be happy with the end result. Cardens are first class airplanes.

Frank
Old 01-16-2005, 08:34 PM
jmiracle

You know, I'm glad you brought up the single aileron servo question. I've been debating the exact same question. If I can use a single servo in each aileron and on the rudder, i figure I can save about half a pound in weight....but the question that keeps nagging in the back of my mind...can I do it without risking flutter or stripping the aileron servo AND keep crisp performance. Right now I think I'm leaning towards two servos for the safety and redundancy factor. I'd love to hear some constructive feedback to this.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:36 PM
Ultrasp99

Looks awesome and I like your website. I too am building a Carden, the 35% Edge 540. Check out my thread, it might help a little. I'm also struggling with the number of servos per aileron, but I think I'm going with 2. Another reasons is I'm thinking of extending my ailerons for more authority while torque rolling.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_25...tm.htm#2546042

I'm looking forward to following this thread.

Steve
Old 01-16-2005, 09:45 PM
jmiracle

Hey Steve,

I have been reading your thread on the Edge....it's looking very good! Keep the pictures coming!! Especially close-ups of how you're mounting/aligning the wings/stabs. I'm interesting in learning about any potential hang-ups I might find with mine.

So far I'm extremely impressed with the kit....it's so simple it's brilliant!

I can't wait to get the foam parts for mine so I can start giving this box some shape.

I also like the idea of extending the ailerons for 3D. I may do something similar. So that would be another reason to go with 2 servos. Hmmm...decisions decisions....at least I still have plenty of time to decide.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:49 PM
ballistic1

my style of flying influenced my decision to go with 1 servo per aileron, as I avoid
high speed where flutter may be issue
the other changes I will do, will be using a harder balsa for the aileron
leading edge --to make the aileron less flexable across its span
and the linkage hardpoint will be in the center of the aileron
Old 01-23-2005, 06:25 PM
jmiracle

The fuse and stab foam parts arrive Friday. I've had the vacuum pump running nearly non-stop since. The main wings are supposed to ship early next week. Here's a pic of the fuse so far. Starting to look like an airplane!!

More pics of the sheeting on www.flagcityflyers.com

Name:	Da83631.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	219626  
Old 01-23-2005, 08:20 PM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two Carden Extras - use single servos all around - various one - at least 120 oz each. No problems.

Dan
Old 01-23-2005, 08:42 PM
jmiracle

did you extend the ailerons at all, or are they built to plans? I'm toying with the idea of extending them a couple of inches to help with 3D manuevers. If I extend them, I will most likely use two servos....might do it anyway just for the piece of mind.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:26 PM
Bobt2

i.m almost finished covering my 35% extra. da100/kscans. 2 5945's on ailerons and 2 8611,s on rudder. carbon fiber tube to save weight and i hollow the cores after sheeting. only building left is to glass the hatch after the canopy is glued in. bob teseo
Old 01-23-2005, 11:00 PM
JaredM25
My Feedback: (26)

THe only issue that comes to my mind using one aileron servo is the twisting issue. Not sure how Carden Ailerons are built though...
I had A single 8611 on my rudder on my 31% Edge, about 18.5 lbs..Knife edge performance was OK, but for a 35% i can't imagine it being good...But then again, what do I know?
Old 01-24-2005, 12:24 AM
bwick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a 35%, a single 8611 on the aileron will be plenty. The only thing you are going to have to watch out for with a single servo is flex in the aileron. If the aileron is stiff (say, in a composite arf) then there is no need to put two high torque servos in the wing. I don't know enough about cardens to say whether the aileron will flex or not, but a single 8611 would suffice in the power department.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:39 AM
Bobt2

i don't think a single servo will cut it. the ail is a sheeted foam core and will probally flex. two points are needed. bob t
Old 01-24-2005, 08:03 AM
ballistic1

I consulted 2 different manufactures of large foam/balsa sheeted type airplanes
they said it will be ok as long as the mechanical advantage for the servo is maintained and
the ATVs are set up for max travel -this increases servo resolution
the aileron is not going to flex
and the problem of flexing is only on a fully balsa built-up wing/aileron
I will attach a picture later of my 35% extra with a single servo
but if you need peace of mind by all means do what YOU think is best
thats what I did !!!

Frank
Old 01-24-2005, 08:03 PM
Flyin Woodbutcher
My Feedback: (3)

Hey fellas if you want to stiffen the ail. use some carbon fiber tissue. This is super lite weight and will make the ail stiff as a oak board. You just put a piece on the wing where the ail is and then sheet the wing. You can get it from cstsales. Also dont put the hard point in the middle of the ail if using one servo. It should be off center a bit towards the root to help prevent flutter.

Kent
Old 01-29-2005, 10:48 PM
jmiracle

Well, my Carden build has slowed down a bit. Work has been keeping me pretty busy.
I just finished sheeting the stabs today. Next up is installing the balsa end-caps on all the foam parts....so nothing very exciting there.
The good news though is that the wing cores shipped Thursday! They should be here Monday. I hope to have them sheeted by the end of next week.
With the wing sheeting out of the way I can start on separating the control surfaces and getting the fuse sockets installed. Once that's done and I can permanently install the top deck, it should really start to look like I've accomplished something.
Another week or two and I should have some more pics showing some real progress. Even though this is my first Carden, the build has really gone very fast! I can't believe the bulk of the building is out of the way already.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:50 AM
ERichard

Jmiracle,
I noticed in your sheeting photos that you are putting the bag over the shucks then pulling vacuum. I wouldn't recommend doing it that way. The correct way to do it is to only have the core and skins in the bag ( you want the bag touching the balsa). Then place it on the shuck and slowly pull vacuum to keep things flat. You are defeating the main advantages of vacuum bagging by pulling vacuum on the shucks. Go to the Compostites and fabrication techiniques secttion and search "vaccum bagging". There is quit a bit about it there.
Also, I wouldn't use a polyurethane glue in a vaccum bag application, VERY thin layer of epoxy (i.e. chemical curing) works best and is bye far the lightest.

Just my 0.02 worth....Your Edge is looking great! You will enjoy it!
Old 01-30-2005, 07:17 PM
jmiracle

Well...after what felt like a very busy weekend, here's what I've got to show for all the time spent in the basement. The stabs and rudder are ready to be seperated and hinged. The rest of the fuse parts have their end caps on.
Here's a couple pics of where I'm at.

Name:	Rp44157.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	222894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19789.jpg
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	222895  
Old 01-30-2005, 07:27 PM
Kaos1964
My Feedback: (12)

Hey, that looks great. Can't wait until I'm a bit farther along too!

It's great to see your progress, keep those photos coming!

Bob
Old 01-30-2005, 10:32 PM
funflyphil

ive got a ?.....i was building my 35% extra this weekend also, and was wondering how many sheets of the 1/8 blasa sheeting yo used for the trus sides??? thanks!...hers a pic of mine.,.its coming along....just started this saterday

also is a pic of my friends 2.6 m YAK. i was giving him crap b.c i am going to done with my carden before he gets that crap pile bult...just kiddin w/ him though....C-ARF's arent THAT bad...lol

Name:	Yw68186.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	223008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33078.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	223009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49730.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	223010  
Old 01-31-2005, 07:20 AM
jmiracle

I think I used a total of 5 sheets for the fuse sides if I remember right...with some decent scrap pieces leftover. It seemed to me that Dennis gives you 1 extra sheet of wood for everything.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:10 AM
funflyphil

wow...five sheets? howd you do it? it took me 8 sheets total, with 4 decent sized scraps leftover....
Old 01-31-2005, 11:17 AM
jmiracle

well, I know I used 4 sheets that covered the front 2/3 of the fuse (with 2 long strips leftover...then I used one more (possibly two, I can't remember now without looking at it) to sheet the tail end....and I ended up with a small piece of that leftover.
Basically, on the tail end of the fuse...I cut one sheet into 4 pieces that finished the fuse...edge-joined those and glued that to the truss structure....trimmed off what was left.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:38 PM
jmiracle

Well, progress slowed on the Carden lately, but I'm hoping to get back on track this weekend. I'm planning to take friday off and hopefully spend the majority of the day working on it.

Since my last post, I've managed to get the wings sheeted, fuse sockets installed, hatch framed up, canopy rough-trimmed, and the rudder separated and hinged.

Here's a couple of pics of where it's at now.

more pics are on http://www.flagcityflyers.com/CardenExtra.htm

Name:	Fd91908.jpg
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	230356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79548.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	230357  
Old 02-16-2005, 08:57 PM
Kaos1964
My Feedback: (12)

Jmiracle,

Looks great - I've enjoyed checking out your progress both here and on your terrific website. Like you, my responsibilities at work have kept me from making much progress this week. I have monday and tuesday off (thank you Banker's holidays!) so hope to make some progress.

I've yet to order my DA-100 - but do have a question for you - are you installing canisters or pipes? Still kind of mulling that one over.

Regards,

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.