Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > Carden Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Talked to Dennis about his smaller kits

Community
Search
Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

Talked to Dennis about his smaller kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:45 PM
5150flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talked to Dennis about his smaller kits

He basically told me that he is not making enough money on the smaller kits and they are on the way out. Specifically:

26% and 30% Extra's will never be kitted again
30% Cap is on the website, but will be removed. They are not in stock and will never be kitted again
Cuda will be kitted for maybe another year

As always he was very friendly. I get the feeling that if enough people would pay 35% prices for smaller kits, he would do them again. We need to support him, what he offers is a unique, quality product.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:53 PM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Talked to Dennis about his smaller kits

The market is flooded with 50cc arfs. I just finished framing a cuda for my eight year old son mainly to give us something to do over the winter and because I know the cuda will be able to handle rough landings better than most arfs but the fact is that american made kits can't compete with arfs made over seas.

Albert
Old 12-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Buzzed

ORIGINAL: as722

The market is flooded with 50cc arfs. I just finished framing a cuda for my eight year old son mainly to give us something to do over the winter and because I know the cuda will be able to handle rough landings better than most arfs but the fact is that american made kits can't compete with arfs made over seas.

Albert
The majority of americans are fat and lazy. We have all come to measure quality against convenience, McDonalds Mentality, the M&M. Whats easier an ARF or a Carden build. The newer guys have grown up with this "convenient way" and the truth is its killing the guys trying to make the kit market survive. I see lots of upper end pilots switching to ARF's also. Why pay a builder to do a kit or labor through it yourself when you can do an ARF on the kitchen table while eating a Big Mac. Its easier, cheaper, disposable and competitive for a short time, then get a sack of burgers and "HA HA" build another. The funny thing is that the people making these ARF's are probably struggling for a bowl of rice, not so convenient there is it, but with our purchasing habits it will be for them shortly. This note plus $3.00 will get you a Big Mac, Buzz

ps, Carden #1 maybe a Dalton or 2 also..
Old 12-18-2007, 04:54 PM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Buzzed

ORIGINAL: as722

Albert
The majority of americans are fat and lazy. We have all come to measure quality against convenience, McDonalds Mentality, the M&M. Whats easier an ARF or a Carden build. The newer guys have grown up with this "convenient way" and the truth is its killing the guys trying to make the kit market survive. I see lots of upper end pilots switching to ARF's also. Why pay a builder to do a kit or labor through it yourself when you can do an ARF on the kitchen table while eating a Big Mac. Its easier, cheaper, disposable and competitive for a short time, then get a sack of burgers and "HA HA" build another. The funny thing is that the people making these ARF's are probably struggling for a bowl of rice, not so convenient there is it, but with our purchasing habits it will be for them shortly. This note plus $3.00 will get you a Big Mac, Buzz

ps, Carden #1 maybe a Dalton or 2 also..
Sad but true.

Albert
Old 12-18-2007, 05:10 PM
5150flyer

We need to vote with our wallets and support the guys putting out quality kits. Building is rewarding and although I am no master, I can still build better than any ARF. BTW...the Cuda is a fun build and I hear it flies great.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:34 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

All true, but you are preaching to the Carden choir.

PS My last three models: Carden 40% Extra 300, Carden Cuda, Carden 40% 330. . . all three are still flying . . .

P.P.S. I have NEVER owned an ARF
Old 12-18-2007, 09:54 PM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

Just to look at this as glass half full, I cannot disagree with anything you guys have said, however, I think the real reason is that hour for hour it just makes better use of a kit mfg's time to sell the larger kits that can command more money. Why fool around with the smaller kit when you can get twice the profit at less than twice the cost or effort when you're selling all you can make? (For the record, I'm just making the numbers up to make a point). In fact these smaller arf planes help introduce new flyers to giant scale and may become eventual carden customers someday.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:35 PM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

The majority of americans are fat and lazy.
The high and mighty has spoken.

Some people are so full of themselves.

Just because it doesn’t make economic sense to make a smaller kit doesn’t make all of western civilization lazy.
It just means we're smarter and our time is worth more. Cardens are a great flying planes but as cheep and well constructed the newer arfs are getting it's going to be tougher for kit manufactures to make money.

And as for this statement.

That’s too bad you’re missing out on some great flying planes.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Buzzed

ORIGINAL: T. Bob

The majority of americans are fat and lazy.
The high and mighty has spoken.

Some people are so full of themselves.

Just because it doesn’t make economic sense to make a smaller kit doesn’t make all of western civilization lazy.
It just means we're smarter and our time is worth more. Cardens are a great flying planes but as cheep and well constructed the newer arfs are getting it's going to be tougher for kit manufactures to make money.

And as for this statement.

That’s too bad you’re missing out on some great flying planes.
If people want smaller Carden kits, they would be available. I think its more a market issue that economic issue...
Old 12-19-2007, 01:14 PM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

If people want smaller Carden kits, they would be available. I think its more a market issue that economic issue...
What in the heck are you talkin about? If they made a 28% yak or 300 it wouldnt sell either.
It all comes down to money.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Bobt2
My Feedback: (4)

buzzed, the day i have to buy an [b]arf is the day i find a new hobby!