Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > Carden Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Help..need best CG for 40% Carden 540 Edge...

Community
Search
Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

Help..need best CG for 40% Carden 540 Edge...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:51 AM
aerobatic 3D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help..need best CG for 40% Carden 540 Edge...

I have a used 540 Edge 40% Carden that I bought a couple of years back and I'm just getting around to sitting it up for this coming season. I would like any helpful comments on the best CG for flying for the first time at a safe CG. ____
Flying IMAC. _____
Flying 3D. _____
Old 02-01-2009, 02:34 AM
Rockyaged

Default RE: Help..need best CG for 40% Carden 540 Edge...

Google Carden to get their site addy. then go on the site and look
to see if there are instructions for that airplane. If not, leave them an
email or call them. Your going to get a starting point. Once the CG is
close to a starting point, put her in the air and get trimmed for straight
and level flight. Then, pull her into a 45 degree upline, roll her inverted
and see what she does hands off. If she climbs, she's tail heavy. If she
maintains same 45 degree angle, she's very slightly tail heavy for IMAC.
For IMAC you want her to go nose down very slightly. In alot of cases,
a starting CG will be at or near the highest point of the wing at the fuselage.
I hope this helps you..

Gerald

Old 02-01-2009, 04:37 PM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We flew ours at 7 1/4" from the LE. It was mainly flown for 3D flying. Very solid performer.

I have seen them range from 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 from LE.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:27 PM
lazy eight
My Feedback: (389)

ORIGINAL: rc4flying

We flew ours at 7 1/4" from the LE. It was mainly flown for 3D flying. Very solid performer.

I have seen them range from 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 from LE.

Most all Carden 40% Edges will come out tail heavy unless they where built to avoid it. rc4flying is right, as for the CG the Edge has a HUGE range and will land at a crawl with no bad tendencys. If you get it to tail heavy it still flys good but the nose will pitch up when it slows for landing. Just push forward on the elevator for a nice flare. I have flown them as far back as 8 inches. Which puts the CG right at the Alireon hige line at the tip. If you can do it start at the 6 1/2" from the leading edge at the fuse and go from there. Its a sweet flying plane you will like it. They do the best blender to flat spin I have ever seen.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:14 AM
aerobatic 3D

Thanks,
I will be flying this plane after spring breaks and will set it between these ranges. I don't want to start out with it set for 3D.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:35 PM
aerobatic 3D

Well I'm finally getting around to setting the CG and it is coming out to 8" from the leading edge, this is with the rudder servos mounted in the rear of the plane. I have a question,,,, I bought this plane off a 3D flyer, is it safe for me to fly this plane at this CG? I haven't flown or landed a 40% before only 30% nothing larger. I really hate to have to rearrange stuff inside this plane to get the CG closer to 7". So let me know your thoughts....
Old 08-13-2009, 01:25 PM
lazy eight
My Feedback: (389)

ORIGINAL: aerobatic 3D

Well I'm finally getting around to setting the CG and it is coming out to 8'' from the leading edge, this is with the rudder servos mounted in the rear of the plane. I have a question,,,, I bought this plane off a 3D flyer, is it safe for me to fly this plane at this CG? I haven't flown or landed a 40% before only 30% nothing larger. I really hate to have to rearrange stuff inside this plane to get the CG closer to 7''. So let me know your thoughts....
I'm flying mine at 7.5" and its still a touch nose heavy when its inverted. I think 8" would be perfect for most all flying 3D and just banging around. at 7.5" it lands vary nice no pitch up at all. try it at 8" its a *****cat. When you make your approach flare early to blead off speed and then let it settle in as it slows it will float right by if you dont flare on the approch. Good luck and have fun the Edge is a sweet flying plane.

JDP
Old 08-13-2009, 09:28 PM
aerobatic 3D

Thanks, here is a pic.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27797.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	1255682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27744.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1255683  
Old 08-15-2009, 10:19 PM
aerobatic 3D

Anyone else flying at 8" back from the LE at the tip on the 40% Carden Edge. Dennis at Carden Aircraft said I should be beween 6.5"-7" so I'm alittle afraid of trying 8". I will have to move my servos from the back on the rudder to a pull/pull and still be a little tail heavy. I will hate it if I make these changes to get a 7" CG and fly it and realize that I need to move it back to 8". Dennis said if I leave it at 8" I will have to push down elevator to land at that CG. I don't want to land with that problem. So give me some feed back at flying at the 8" CG if that is your setup.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:33 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

ORIGINAL: aerobatic 3D

Anyone else flying at 8'' back from the LE at the tip on the 40% Carden Edge. Dennis at Carden Aircraft said I should be beween 6.5''-7'' so I'm alittle afraid of trying 8''. I will have to move my servos from the back on the rudder to a pull/pull and still be a little tail heavy. I will hate it if I make these changes to get a 7'' CG and fly it and realize that I need to move it back to 8''. Dennis said if I leave it at 8'' I will have to push down elevator to land at that CG. I don't want to land with that problem. So give me some feed back at flying at the 8'' CG if that is your setup.
If you're not comfortable pushing down elevator on landing then you should move the rudder servos to a pull-pull. Mine is at like 7 1/4" and no down elevator is needed on landing. When I roll inverted on a 45 degree up line, the plane just barely falls.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:05 AM
aerobatic 3D

Thanks Aviti,
Yes I have since made a mounting plate so that I can add a couple of weights behind the firewall and moved the batteries and smoke pump behind the firewall also. I should only have to add minimum weight to get 7" to 7 1/4" CG which everyone says it is the ideal CG. If I find that later I want the CG moved back I just remove the weight plate and unscrew mounting plate. This is much easier on me then moving the servos forward. I hope that I will get to fly this big baby in the next couple of weeks if weather allows.