Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Fun Factor Reborn

Old 04-06-2021, 04:32 AM
Scouser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fun Factor Reborn

Thought I would start a new thread rather than post in the .28 thread.

Well after selling off all my other rc’s I had the FF sitting on the work bench in a bit of a sad state. No wheels, no shocks, no electrics, no driveshafts and various plastic parts gone too. I did consider giving it a clean and then just putting it back in storage but in cleaning it, I remembered just how much I love this little truck. So a new project started.
I was amazed and really glad to see CEN still have all the FF parts available on their website. Fantastic to see and of course this means the car can be used without the worry of breaking something irreplaceable.
I had a set of 90cm Old Man Emu shocks from an old crawler that went onto the truck but it was just a start. A quick eBay search turned up a guy selling all his FF chassis for 60. This included a complete Magnum and two near complete Fun Factors. One 2wd and two 4wd. Then, even more remarkably, a JT chassis popped up for sale in Arizona. Obviously I snapped it up and so the project took a new turn.

The plan is now to turn the original FF into an all round runner. It has the New Era roll cage and all the heavy duty running gear like the crown and pinion gears, brake seat and steering links.
The Magnum will be a 2wd beach brasher with mostly stock parts and sand paddle tyres.
The JT chassis is going to be 4wd and fitted with Dr Hondas ARO shock towers and custom carbon fibre top plates. I will put the old nt.16 motor on the JT but all the others will be converted to electric.
So that’s it, the plan as it stands. Pictures will be posted but really this is likely to be just a little diary that may be of some interest to anyone passing by in the future.
To be continued.

Last edited by Scouser; 04-06-2021 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:31 AM
Scouser

A bit of progress. All the cars have been stripped to the last nut and given a thorough clean. They were pretty neglected and filthy dirty but they cleaned up great. All the screws were binned as they will be getting replaced by stainless hex heads.
It was interesting to see the differences in wheelbase between the Fun Factor, JT factory team and Magnum chassis. With them all laid out I was surprised to see the Magnum about an inch longer than the JT.
Anyway, with all the bits ready, I will start the re-assembly and then look to getting the electric conversion sorted. For now I am thinking of an aluminum plate that mounts to the stock motor holes in the chassis and bends 90degrees to sit the motor in the right place. We will see how that goes.
Thats it for now. More to follow.

Old 04-16-2021, 06:00 AM
Scouser

Quick update, got my original FF back on wheels with driveshafts, shocks and turnbuckles all replaced. I have a Novak esc fitted and have the layout pretty much sorted. Now moving on to the motor mount, which is likely the trickiest bit.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:42 AM
Scouser

Some pictures of the CEN so far.

The following users liked this post:
DESERT RATT (05-23-2021)