Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

MT2 Chassis modification

Old 03-07-2005, 11:27 PM
azzman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT2 Chassis modification

To overcome the lack of stiffness in the standard MT2 chassis, I decided to make a whole new topdeck. This is what CEN should have manufactured in the first place (or similar)!
I realise that similar gains can be made by simply adding a piece between the steering servo and the brake block but this just looks much more professional, [:-] (yes I have too much time on my hands)!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91768.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	240061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57716.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	438.4 KB
ID:	240062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm22044.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	240063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46697.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	240064  
Old 03-08-2005, 07:16 AM
Scouser

Default RE: MT2 Chassis modification

Very nice, looks like it was cncd', you may also find that the aluminum brake seat and New Era roll cage will add massively to the chassis stiffness. Put them all together and that should be one super strong truck.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:13 AM
cenracer1

Thanks for the great idea.... I have the aluminum stock and was having trouble with the design, this will work for mine as well with some small changes.. I wont replace the steering servo, fuel tank mount and I will put the throttle servo on top... Don't think you have too much time on your hands, just have creative uses for that time.... This will save me a huge amount of time... I was looking for a way to strenghten the bottom chassis and never looked at an upper chassis.... THANK YOU
Old 12-30-2005, 05:02 AM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

I was just searching through some old posts trying to figure out a good way to strengthen my chassis and i came across this beauty right here. How did this work out for you azzman??? It looks SOOOO nice. I am not sure how you made it but would you be interested in making more for sale? or maybe we could get AROproducts to produce them. Perhaps it could be changed to include the 125cc fuel tank mod?
I have a tendancy to drive like a maniac and sometimes i end up hitting an unseen rock in some grass or similar and I am tired of straightening out my chasis and center shaft.
What does everyone else think?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Tune71

This is my effort at stiffening the MT2. also have added a front bar of sorts which has saved the car on two occasions now.
The rod is hollow alloy about 12mm thick.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:33 AM
alvinl

I like that top deck. If ARO makes them, I am in.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:46 PM
dustin7837

That bar looks like it would work to stiffen the chassis a lot. I just really like how that extended top plate looks. I haven't seen DrHonda on here for a while. Has anyone else?
Old 12-30-2005, 04:04 PM
azzman

I havent been using that extended top plate since I upgraded to the JR chassis, its slightly longer so the mod wont fit. I have been using an alloy rod similar to Tune71 although its thinner.
The problem with my design is that the throttle servo doesnt mount from the top so its not an ideal setup as its hard to remove the servo and not all servos will fit, it depends on the shape at the top of the servo, although with mods any servo could fit.
It looks like CEN have done as I suggested and built an extended top deck in the new Magnum, so it may fit the MT2. Its not very bling being made out of black plastic but looks like it will do the job rather well.

Cheers all and Happy New Year from NEW ZEALAND

Name:	Om34349.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	378104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11035.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	378105  
Old 12-30-2005, 04:15 PM
dustin7837

Do you still have that top deck? Interested in selling it? It really does have that "Bling" look to it[8D]
Old 12-30-2005, 05:47 PM
azzman

Dustin, make me an offer.
And I also have an extended top deck that will fit a 125cc OFNA tank and a 100cc tank, it can only be used with a laydown steering servo though. If theres any interest I will also sell it, so anybody make me an offer.

Name:	Xv64662.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	378129  
Old 12-30-2005, 07:37 PM
dustin7837

I am not sure if it is possible to lay down the steering servo with a standard chassis or not. I am not sure what it cost you to make. What would you say to 25 USD plus postage for the full top plate?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:10 PM
azzman

Thats about what I was thinking of price wise.
If your not afraid to drill holes in your chassis then laying down the servo is relatively easy, you can purchase some mounts (PM Poor Judgement), but I made some out of a hunk of plastic which I am now using on the JT chassis, but they were previously on the standard chassis.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:01 PM
poor judgement

azzman: are both of those for the stock chassis?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:23 PM
dustin7837

Actually i didn't realize you could lay the servo down on the standard chassis. Does anyone have any pics? I thought that it would be hard becasue of the spot where the chassis pieces join up. If it is possible i will definately take the chassis plate that is made for the 125 cc tank as i have one installed already. Just PM me with a total including postage and your paypal email address if you take paypal and i will pay you.
Sound good?
Old 12-30-2005, 10:08 PM
poor judgement

pics [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2430760/anchors_2430760/mpage_1/key_centre%252Cdiff/anchor/tm.htm#2430760]here[/link] - 6th post down the page
Old 12-30-2005, 11:43 PM
azzman

PJ: YUP

And I can easily modify the stock tank one to fit the 125cc tank.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:06 AM
dustin7837

I just knocked together a quick 20 min roll cage mock up for my MT2. It sems to have helped stiffen the chassis up a bit but not as much as i had hoped. It does protect the cooling head, front shock tower, etc. And it makes a nice carrying handle lol. I know that this is CRUDE. Like i said i spent 20 mins with a mig welder, pipe bender and a pair of bolt cutters. I got the steel rods from my lhs, not sure exactly what kind of steel they are but they are strong and hard to weld, even with the argon gas mig. I think I'll go get some aluminum and make a nice one sometime soon.
Any suggestions on any changes?
I would still ike that upper chassis plate though azzman, just PM me when you figure out postage.
Thanks

Name:	Wu60646.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	378916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33201.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	378917  
Old 01-01-2006, 09:12 AM
alvinl

Tie that rollbar into your upper deck and it will make the chassis a little more rigid. Good job though.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:05 AM
mulletman

ORIGINAL: alvinl

Tie that rollbar into your upper deck and it will make the chassis a little more rigid. Good job though.
that would help alot
Old 01-01-2006, 04:33 PM
dustin7837

Thanks for the advice guys i just did it and it stiffened it right up. I was thinking about going to the front shock tower at first but this is much better. Now i just need to make a nice copy with some lighter aluminum and either powder coat it or use some armothane (spray in truck box liner). Still want that chassis plate azzman don't sell it on me. lol

Name:	Us54591.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	379189  
Old 01-01-2006, 05:09 PM
alvinl

Dustin. How did you attach the tubing to the chassis and top plate? How about some close ups? That's a pretty good job. What did you weld it with (obviously a welder, but what type)? I bought the New Era rollbar for my MT2 but have been experimenting with a good chassis brace for my son's ATX. I have a friend with a couple different welders that does auto repair. I am thinking about bending some small tubing the way I want it and take it all over to his shop and see if he will weld it for me. Or maybe I will buy a small welder and see how hard it is to learn.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:04 PM
dustin7837

Well, My first attempt was to heat up the steel rods with my butane torch to get the rod red hot. then i hammered about 1/2 inch of the rod fairly flat. then i attempted to bend it into an L shape. The plan was to drill a hole through the flat part and attach it that way. Well, as i found out this is a very strange kind of steel (some kind of spring steel i think, similar to basketball hoops). I could hammer it flat with an anvil and some effort but everytime i tried to bend it, it would snap off whether it was hot or cold. I think that if i got a decent grade aluminum, I would be successful with this method. What i ended up doing is bending my rod witha small cheap pipe bender to the n shape i wanted, making sure the body woudl still fit on overtop then i used some copper wire ends for about a 6 - 10 gage wire. They were like 59cents each and the rod was about 1.89 for a 3 foot length. I heated the copper end up wiht my butane torch and melted some normal rosin core solder into it. then i inserted the end of my rod into the copper fitting and held it in place until the solder cooled enough. It seemed solid enough at this point but just to be sure i used my mig welder to run a very thin weld right at the joint of the copper and the rod. Then i bolted the "n" shaped piece to the chassis after drilling a smallhole on one side and using one of the exhaust pipe clip holes on the other side. then i bolted on my front and rear straight pieces and just held them in place while i mig welded them. Like i mentioned this kind of steel does not seem to weld all that great. i tried two or three different kinds of flux coated mig wire but it still isnt that nice looking but at least it is strong. I now cannot flex the chassis over my knee at all(well maybe a tiny fraction of an inch). All in all it cost me about 5 - 6 $ CDN for parts. and took me maybe 30 - 45 mins by the time i figured out what i needed and added that front piece. I didn't weight it but it isnt that heavy. i still think i will get some aluminum and make a nice version after all every gram counts. As this was my first "rough" attempt I wasnt going to post any close ups of my sloppy work. All the stores are closed for the holidays(i live in a small town) so i couldnt even get washers as i had none to fit and the cable ends had too big of holes. I ended up improvising with pennies, a drill, and a grinder[>:]. Since you asked though i will post some close ups. I was going to get the new era roll cage but they wanted over 65 USD to ship to canada and i know thereal cost is only about 6 USD. Remember azzman i still have dibs on your top plate.
There are a lot of things you can do to your RC vehicles for cheap. Just takes a bit of imagination lol. eg: check out my profile gallery for some pics of my LED setup. Just runs off a 9V battery velcroed to the bottom of my stock body.

Sorry about the poor pic quality, new camera and i can't seem to figure out how to get it to focus close up[&:]

Name:	Jh15302.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	379240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64086.jpg
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	379241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57280.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	43.8 KB