Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

CEN MT2 issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 10:24 PM
warnos16v

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEN MT2 issues.

Hi I just purchased a MT2 Fun Factor two weeks ago and I have been having nothing but issues with the Diff cups... GX12.

I have broken 6 of them in total and they always the same two... front left and rear right..

I will be trying the mod that some of you have suggested by putting an olive on the cup but I cannot seem to find one the correct size...

This is a bit rediculous that I need to do this though.. you would think I could drive the truck without these breaking all the time.

I have broken the last one by driving in a straight line at 3/4 throttle . unbelievable...

Does anyone know if another part will fit from another company?

I have sent a e-mail to CEN to see if they have any ideas... as I have been wasting money on these cups... in Australia 6 cups cost $90 as I am always breaking the ones on the same side.... haah.. anyone need a diff cup with the pin in it... I have 6 of them...

Cheers

Warnos
Old 03-18-2006, 11:23 PM
rolland

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: CEN MT2 issues.

Cut the pins off. Poor Judgement and myself don't use the pins and have had no problems.

When I modded my first cups I got some brass tubing from the LHS that was close to the same diameter and used some small sockets and heat to stretch it out to the correct size.

rolland
Old 03-18-2006, 11:40 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

The pins will pull out with heat froma butane torch.
For the diff cups, I found a piece of steel pipe that was a bit too big and drilled it out to fit. It wasn't even a close fit but a drill & Dremel will make anything work.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:16 AM
warnos16v

Cheers Guys I will give it a go...

Just got some pipe which is about 1mm to large and will put some foil around the cups to make it a tight fit...

What do you think?

Warnos
Old 03-19-2006, 08:31 AM
warnos16v

Gave the Mt2 a bash with the diff cups glued with some pipe and they held together on a little run.. was still to scared to do anything silly.. just driving on a flat park...

Warnos
Old 03-19-2006, 09:16 AM
brianroger

crazy! not to change the subject..but this time zone thing is awsome! im replying to something that happened at 1:31 pm on this day...it's only 8:15 am here..same day! so it hasent officially happened here yet...woooo freaky.. any who.........easily amused in the state of Illinois, USA!
Old 03-19-2006, 09:18 AM
brianroger

Or ..the forum clock is screwy..im confused...any math majors out there w/ a degree in telling time...heehee
Old 03-19-2006, 09:19 AM
brianroger

Or..i got it..this site is in some third world country!
Old 03-20-2006, 10:01 AM
mulletman

i cant explain it but i know what is going on
Old 03-21-2006, 06:01 AM
warnos16v

Just got a reply back from CEN and they advised me to use the following diff Joint Cups..........

"Magnum part number #FF232 drive couplings"

Anyone heard of this or used it.... Cannot see anyone else recommending it... maybe its new???

I will buy some and give them a try... just need to find out where to get them in Australia.

Cheers

Warnos
Old 03-21-2006, 06:18 AM
azzman

Mate, dont take this man, send em the broken drive cups direct, or at least the place where you bought them from and demand they replace them under warantee!
Old 03-21-2006, 11:09 AM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are the diff cups that come with the new Magnum. CEN supposedly beefed them up a little. I have been wanting to try them just to see if they are any better, but I cannot find them online anywhere. Custom RC Cars said they have the in stock, but their website is way behind. Until I find them online, I will not be buying any. I may not even buy them then and instead spend my money on the swift buggy conversion. I would recommend you just do the diff cup mod and move on.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:45 PM
CEN Racing

The FF232 will fit on your MT2 and they are beefed up and revised.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:15 AM
warnos16v

Have just finished a Diff cups mod... its working fine.. gave the car a real bashing tonight and it stood up to the task.. easily... I don't like having such large ends on the diff cups though.. I am using alloy pipe ...

Will purchase some of the Magnum diff cups for backup though... my hobby shop just got some in for me..

Cheers for the help guys...

Warnos
Old 03-23-2006, 12:21 PM
poor judgement

glad u got it sorted - let us know how the magnum cups work out please mate
Old 03-23-2006, 07:11 PM
mulletman

look forward to the news, hope it goes good
Old 03-23-2006, 08:03 PM
Scouser

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Same here, looking forward to the reviews.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:10 AM
psybonix

This has happened to my front left diff cup. How did the magnum cups been working out?
Old 04-06-2006, 11:11 AM
poor judgement

one thing that hasnt been mentioned in this thread is the O rings that should be in the cups - if they are not there then try fitting a 1-1.5mm long slice of duel line - it makes a lot of difference by helping to prevent the cups binding on the dogbones which is what we believe causes the breakages...

...along with excess suspension travel, u can limit this with fuel line inside the shocks on the shock shaft for excess droop, or zip tie the arms to the towers. with excess compression try fuel line on the shock shaft, outside of the shock body. or remount the shocks in a different hole in the towers, and try that.

frustrating innit? if u get real stuck, i have some perfectly sized olives/compression fittings here that are available for cost + P&P.... should be available in oz as they are metric tho - 10mm are the ones in case u didnt know, from the plumbing section of ur local hardware store.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:13 PM
BootMachine

Here is what I did.

Did the compression fitting mod....then melted a blob of brass in each diff cup and when it was still molten, stuck in the dogbone to form solid round brass cup at the bottom of each diff cup.

Then, when I install the dog bones on the car, I tighten up those pivot balls that hold the hub on until there is only 1 MM of axial play in each dog bone. I fully extend the suspension and then compress the suspension checking that the dog bone has minimal (BUT STILL SOME) play.

I use full suspension travel with 1:8 wheels and have never split a diff cup or twisted a dog bone apart.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:04 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you poor judgement and bootmachine... thats what I've been saying all along.. I don't bother with the mod because thats a patch fix not the problem.. the problem is the excess shock travel and play in the diff cups.. I check mine regularly and never have a problem.. the last diff cups I broke were due the the tie rods popping off and the wheel turned too sharp in the rear binding the dog bone in the cups.. It broke the cup and bent the dog bone.. quick fix and 5 minutes later, back on the track.... The fuel tubing or the o rings are critical to the longevity of the diff cups..
Old 04-08-2006, 09:11 PM
RogersRacing

Hi Guys,
Got to agree with Cen, since I started putting some fuel line in the diff-cups and got rid of the slack in the shafts, I have not broken a diff-cup. And boy did I chew through some money finding that out. I have not done the diff-cup mod, only used fuel line and checked suspension elements as noted. I'mk going to look into the magnum option though.
Hey CEN how about an exchange program!!

Cheers,

CR
Old 04-09-2006, 01:19 AM
poor judgement

the cup mod just adds a bit of security, helps cover u for crashes etc, still worth doing imo even with the fuel line or O rings added
Old 04-10-2006, 07:58 PM
warnos16v

Hey.. I have got the Magnum diff cups.... but they do not come with the steal bit that goes through the centre...

They are heaps bigger and feel a heap more stronger but I have not put them in yet as I have only just got them and they do not have the steal pin... I have not been able to pull the pin out of the old broken diff cups I have...

You guys said to heat the cup and it should expand allowing the pin to be pullled out of it.. I have been trying to do this for a week but no luck...

Does anyone know if this part can be purchased... I gather the Magnums have the diff cups and pins seperate as the diffcups where like two cups with out a pin when purchased...

Warnos
Old 04-11-2006, 04:15 AM
azzman

Dont worry about the pin, if it aint there it means that CEN must have decided it wasnt needed...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.