Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Magnum NX support needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 09:27 AM
eromeros

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum NX support needed

Hello

I just got the new Magnum NX and i'm having problems tuning the engine. First i tried as it
came out of the box... It just would not start..then i changed the glow plug and the it started
(it seems the stock glowplug was bad). the problem now was that when i gave it trottle the motor
would stall. I tried adjusting a little the mixture with the screw on the side of the carburator
but this didn't help. (smoke and unburnt oil was coming out of the pipe). The motor just would stall
after i took out the igniter (i'm pretty sure the igniter was fully charged and the glow-plug was ok)

Aftert trying for a while y started to adjust the high end mixture with the screw mounted on
top of the carb. This time i managed to make it work but it was running at a higher temperature
than recomended (very lean, almost no smoke out of the pipe) and after 5 minutes of running time
it twould stop and then it would not start again. The setting this time where something like 2 turns
out in the high-end mixture screw and 1 turn in from flush in the screw on the side of the carb.

After a whhile i reseted everything to the recommended settings...3 turns out on the high-end mixture
...1 turn in from flush in the screw on the side and i, 1.5 mm in the carb opening..then i tried to turn
it on but it just would not start..

What can be the problem here? What's bugging me it's that a friend bought at the same time the same car
..we started the break-in process together..doing the same thing and his car is perfectly tuned..no problem
whatsoever..i even tried adjusting his setings on my car but it didn't work.

I don't think that the motor is bad..it just not being tuned correctly. I mean.i can make it work but at a higher
temperature than recomended and with the settings way off from those recomended.

What dou you guys suggest?.Please help the new guy stay in the hobby.

Note: To check temperature i made the spit test (water boiled in for to 5 secs instead of 7). My friend used the same
igniter with no problem and he also tested the glow plugs that i was using with no problems at all.

Thanks

Elias
Old 06-05-2006, 01:30 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Magnum NX support needed

If you are following standard break in format (not heat cycling) for your first few tanks, you want the engine to run very very rich. you may need to leave the glow ignitor on for the first tank or so just to keep it running and you will probabaly have to hit the throttle a little bit every few seconds to keep it running. Also, while breaking your engine in this way, you might go through a few glow plugs as they tend to die when the engine is that rich.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:06 PM
eromeros

Hello..

Today i tried again to tune the engine with no luck. I ended in the same place as before...poor performance and very lean setup. I noticed one thing though. I tuned lean so i could start the engine..the temp was ok..but when i applied throttle then the engine would decrease its performance and the suddenly the lid of the gas tank would pop-up....and i noticed there was a lot of smoke in the tank...is this normal?....

This thing happened several times..every time i applied throttle..the lid of the tank pops-up.

Any ideas?

Cen Racing Support....please help me..

Elias
Old 06-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Timmahh
Banned

Erom. read this first, [link=http://www.rcracersedmonton.com/rcracers/NitroEngine101.aspx]Breakin/Tunin guide 101.[/link] get to know this, read it a few time until you understand it, then start. your engine and your truck will thank you for it... theres alot of dos and donts at this point. and they are all important. dont take shortcuts.
hth
Timmahh
Old 06-06-2006, 10:44 PM
dustin7837

tank lid popped up...?

almost sounds like your exhaust is plugged. I know it was an issue with the genesis, but not the magnum.
Might be worth a check anyway.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:24 AM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thinking the same thing... check for kinked lines also..... these engines are one of the easiest to tune and start.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:30 PM
CEN Racing

Like I told him in his email, I belive there is some issue with that tank. Something could be blocking the exhaust as well. Check to make sure there is nothing plugging the exhaust holes...but the tank lifting that is something new to me. Never heard of that until I read this and his email.

Interesting.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:12 PM
craigb

I wonder... is the spring on the tank broken/missing?... very strange!
Old 06-08-2006, 07:00 PM
CEN Racing

That is what I am thinking too. Broken or missing spring. Stranger things have happend.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:06 PM
eromeros

Hello all

Well i finally managed to solve the problem...i've had two full tanks so far with no problem...apparently the gases from the engine where returning to the tank instead of going out through the pipe..that's the reason why the tahk lid popped -up...it was a pressure build up. I found this because jut as a test i tried to turn on the engine with the lid of the tank open..and it worked...from there the solution was obvious.

It turned out to be the exhaust..but it was something strange...i ust took it out and checked that tha air could move around easy...and it turned out taht it was ahrd to get air trough the exhaust holes....i thought that was the problem but after cleaning and injecting compresed air to the pipe o ended with the same problem..but anyway..i installed the pipe again and then everything worked ok...

I mean..i don't recall taking out anything that plugged the exhaust..i didn't see any dirt or something similar that could cause the problem..and the air was flowing around exactly in the same way as before..apparently just taking out the pipe and installing it again solved the problem..kind of strange...but it worked...

Thanks for all your help. Hope this thred can help some other guys with the same problem..

By the way...i'm loving the magnum...great power.....very easy to start now that the problem is solved...it alwasy starts at the first try...the motor does not stalls and everything seems just fine...i'll keep testing for some tanks to see if everything's ok.

thanks to all

PD : Great support fro CEN. Thanks

Elias
Old 06-09-2006, 12:46 PM
CEN Racing

Glad to read that all is well. The "lid on my tank is lifting" was the main clue. I am thinking since it is a graphite exhaust pipe that maybe some flashing is in the holes causing the clog. At any rate I am glad you figured it out and have it running!
Old 06-18-2006, 08:58 PM
*Nitstklr72*

anyone have any nx videos
Old 06-18-2006, 09:42 PM
dustin7837

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=705

theres a vid at the bottom of that review.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:16 PM
CEN Racing

http://67.18.81.100/rcuvideos/magazi...ws/705/low.wmv for the Magnum NX in Low Res
http://67.18.81.100/rcuvideos/magazi...705/medium.wmv - for the magnum NX in Medium Res
http://67.18.81.100/rcuvideos/magazi...s/705/high.wmv - for the Magnum NX is high Res