Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

installing metal brake disk

Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

installing metal brake disk

Old 07-17-2006, 03:24 PM
offroadfury

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing metal brake disk

I just got my metal brake disc today and I can't figure out which way to install the dang thing cause both ways in the picures below that I did it it would not move correctly So which way is correct photo 1 or photo 2
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38470.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	492805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53626.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	492806  
Old 07-17-2006, 06:14 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: installing metal brake disk

I installed them like photo 2 with the flanges facing the front of the car. I had the same problem, the little flanges would catch. 1st, I dremeled the flanges down a little bit and round the corners off. 2nd, be sure when you fit the brake pads you leave them kind of loose because for some reason mine would tighten up when I put it all back together. I ended up leaving off the 2nd brake pad and it works just fine. I think if I had played with it a little more I could have gotten it smoothed out with both brake pads installed.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:18 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

I had to cut the tabs off too. Otherwise it would just bind up. Mine owrks fine wtih both pads on. In fact, if I'm not careful, it endos if I hit the brakes
Old 07-18-2006, 09:09 AM
poor judgement

yea, if u look carefully at how the brake disc moves on the shaft, u will see it gets canted over one way or the other, depending which way u put it on iirc. its down to the tabs... either cut them off halfway, as ive done to mine and its fine now, or try cutting them off completely if half doesnt do it for u.

adding an uprated servo to run throttle and brakes, with a metal brake disc gives u much more stopping power than u will ever need, even with tmaxx wheels n tyres on there.

good luck
Old 07-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Vochlrupfer

ive put 2 disks in there but i dont have a 2 gear system i dont know weather it fits or not with 2 gear system
Old 07-18-2006, 03:38 PM
dustin7837

ORIGINAL: Vochlrupfer

ive put 2 disks in there but i dont have a 2 gear system i dont know weather it fits or not with 2 gear system
I will tell you in a week or so, I have the parts comming to put 2 discs and 3 shoes in mine, and there is no way I'm getting rid of the two speed.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:12 PM
poor judgement

ive put 2 disks in there
how much braking do u want? lol - u guys are nuts!

ps - let us know how it works out...
Old 07-18-2006, 08:21 PM
dustin7837

ORIGINAL: poor judgement

ive put 2 disks in there
how much braking do u want? lol - u guys are nuts!

ps - let us know how it works out...
says the guy with the only center diff funfactor in known existance
Old 07-18-2006, 09:20 PM
offroadfury

Ok this is beginning to get really frustrating. I took care of the original problem I posted with the disk. I just cut both of the pieces off and works great, but now I have another problem. No matter how I arrange the brake linkage I this is what happens. If I add more brake on the brake linkage adjustments, I have problems with my truck just rolling along the floor with just a push of the hand, it binds and will not roll freel. But if I adjust the brake linkage to less brakes the truck will roll like it should and the are hardly any brake and I mean less brakes then the normal stock setup. This is driving me nuts. Any suggestions? I just want to play with the dang thing it has been out of commission for a month now and the weather has been so nice. I am itching to get this thing out and about.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:36 AM
dustin7837

I just take the little slide lock thing, and loosen it off and then pull it towards the servo horn until the brakes are just barely on. It doesn't roll across the floor real nice by hand, but remember that when you hit the throttle, the brake linkage is going to move backwards and let off. This way, you have tight braking when you hit the brake and you have some minor drag when you let the throttle go completely.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:16 AM
poor judgement

The metal brake disc is obviously, much thinner than the stock one - did u allow for this and adjust the linkage throw accordingly? If not, then have a look there, that will most probably be the issue mate. U will know when u have got it right... itll stand on its nose!

says the guy with the only center diff funfactor in known existance
Thats a point... Ive got 2 brakes on that, but only the metal disc up front, stock disc for the rears - theres no lack of brakes on that thing at all! With a metal disc in the rear it locked the back wheels way too easily. Will be less obvious on a MT setup, but thought Id add that bit... cos no-one else has got one that they can tell u about! Linkage pic from that setup is below, if it helps at all.

Name:	Jh14716.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	493596  
Old 07-24-2006, 06:54 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nobody mentioned this, but maybe it will help..... try adjusting the two screws that hold the pads to the brake assembly.... just a little bit tighter each time until it's just snug then back off a 1/4 turn... you'll have to reset the linkage again, but I do this each time I replace the brake disc... and by the way.. I use the metal disc with fiber brake pads.... I don't cut off the tabs because I run them face ouit and they have never interfered at all.... the truck will stop from a full speed run in about 15 feet with the wheels skidding... with the maxx wheels... it endo's now... best advice... be patient, you will get it... the truck doesn't need multiple brake discs to stop well... just good set up....not counting PJ's center diff setup...sweeeet
Old 07-25-2006, 04:16 PM
dustin7837

well, I got a few parts in for the dual disc brake mod attempt. No luck
I tried it with 3 metal shoes and 2 steel discs, but it stopped about the same as it does with one disc and the rubber pads in. The metal to metal just slips. I tried roughing the discs up on a becn grinder, but it didnt help much.
So I tried using 3 shoes, 4 rubber pads, and 2 discs. Wouldn't even fit. lol.

Then I tried 2 discs with 2 pads and 3 metal shoes... It is about 1-2 mm too thick to fit [:@]

Now, I'm thinking it would work if I could put one disc wtith 2 shoes and pads on each side. The brake discs seem like they would fit on the drive cup on the front side of the brake seat if the cup was flattened just a little bit on 2 sides. But, the spot on the brake cam shaft where the brake plug is, is a problem. It is flattened halfway on the one side, so I can't very well grind it that much on the other side to get a second brake plug in...

what to do? I want this thing to go 60-0 in 2 feet or at least do 3 or 4 front flips when i hit the brakes

Old 07-25-2006, 06:22 PM
poor judgement

i dont have a pic of it done and the car is assembled... but u see on the pic in front of the brake seat, the diff cup modded cup for the prop shaft...? aye, all i did was superglue the cup on and then grind a flat each side - just to give it a bit more meat for the disc to grab onto.

works a treat with the os18 and a high torque servo behind it... so far at least...

Name:	He97307.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	496855  
Old 07-25-2006, 06:48 PM
dustin7837

yeh, thats what I want allright. but i am wanting to run both brakes off one brake seat.
How's that hing handle BTW... Don't see many center diffed 1/10s
Old 07-26-2006, 05:19 AM
poor judgement

its all over the place!!! lol

i need the 45t single speed spur to try out - its too low geared as it is. theres not enough room on the chassis to get the engine adjusted to go larger than a 18t pinion... maybe foam tyres instead of slicks will help, but its a bit lively to say the least and needs setting up properly to be fair.

havent tried it offroad - scared of losing the spur... but i reckon it might be happier on some short grass with some spiked tyres on, more traction and all that.

the brakes are amazing tho! also turns in very sharp and oversteers out, just so hard balancing the throttle on the shortish gearing/lightweight/silly power. i could do with some smooth ashphalt to try it out for onroad, but well, its supposed to be a rally after all, ill stick to that rather than go for a full onroad setup.

basically its cut out a lot of the understeer from a stock 4wd rally and brakes are better... easier just to go rwd and use a high torque brake/throttle servo on a lighter setup isnt it? [X(]
Old 07-26-2006, 05:22 AM
poor judgement

oh - sorry man... how about removing the tabs completely and just using the flat edge of the disc? hpi and ofna get away with it... if u get a good fit, u might too.

i reckon ur gonna need a better servo than stock to get the most from it tho. did u upgrade it already?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:51 AM
dustin7837

I ground the tabs right off already[&:]
I have one of those skion 10KG metal geared servos on the throttle. You can get em on ebay for like $15, ripped out of a new gen/nem.

I think I need a new brake cam shaft design to take one brake plug on each side.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:01 PM
poor judgement

just grind another flat into the brake shaft, i did the same a while back... cant remember why i didnt use it that way tho...
Old 07-28-2006, 11:34 PM
rolland

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about making the fiber pads thinner (you might be able to sand them) or going to the LHS and finding a thinner pad. If it is necessary you could glue the thinner pad to the metal pad to help keep it in place.
I would also use a fiber pad in between the 2 disks to increase the friction on the disks.

I think the reason PJ quit using the 2 brake plug mod was because he found it impossible to adjust.

rolland
Old 07-29-2006, 02:46 AM
Vochlrupfer

in my car it fits like in photo 2 with 2disks 3shoes and 2pads but i have no 2gearsystem
Old 07-31-2006, 11:54 PM
dustin7837

ORIGINAL: Vochlrupfer

in my car it fits like in photo 2 with 2disks 3shoes and 2pads but i have no 2gearsystem
Yeah, there would be tons of room without that pesky 2nd gear.
Oh well, it stops alright now, but I will just keep trying stuff till it works
It can't ever be that simple can it?..