Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

Genesis/Nemesis & GST blocks all the same?

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Genesis/Nemesis & GST blocks all the same?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Scott_GTR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genesis/Nemesis & GST blocks all the same?

As the title says really.

The main bearing in my Gennys engine let go Saturday[:@], and so I am looking at picking up a new block cheap off of eBay, (Which come with bearings)

I did read Cen had done some development work on the GST's NX76, but did they touch the block?

But knowing my luck I'll find the bore is a gnats cock out and end up having the buy the pistons/liner/crank etc again.[]

So are they the same?

If not, I may see if the bearing is a standard size and pick one up a high quality one from a bearing suppler.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:42 PM
.46NitroAddict

Default RE: Genesis/Nemesis & GST blocks all the same?

Hi Scott,

Sorry I can't answer your main question, but would also like to know more on this subject.
I can definately say that the bearings are a standard size. As mate of mine has just replaced his, (Gen LE) sourced from a local bearing supplier. Only cost him around AU$10 each (Was in stock). So probable worth a phone call or trip to price.

Hope this helps, .46NitroAddict [>:]
Old 02-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Scott_GTR

I have take the cheaper and quicker way out and bought a new main bearing for £3, ($6).

I just don't want to risk the GST block being different.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:45 PM
.46NitroAddict

Hi Scott,

Yeah that's just what my mate thought too. With a bit of luck CEN will still answer your main question, (& my additional questions) so we all know the answers for the future!

CEN Racing, can we please have the answers to the following questions?
1/. Are the Genesis, Nemesis, & GST blocks the same & therefore interchangable?
2/. Simmilarly, is it possible to use a GST head on a Genesis or Nemesis?
3/. Are the Genesis, Nemesis, & GST piston, sleeve & crank interchangable? ( I realise that the GST has been developed / tuned differently)
4/. Finally, are the Genesis, Nemesis, & GST carbies different & if so are they physically interchangable?

Many thanks in advance for your answers to these questions,
.46NitroAddict [>:]
Old 02-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Scott_GTR

I can answer No.2 as I have a black head on my Genny, as for the rest, hopefully they will get back to us.
Mind you, there are two versions; a black version of the old red head and one with a larger center between the fins
so there is better access to the glow plug. I am not sure what reason for this is, maybe less cooling on the big hole one?
So I have revised the questions:

CEN Racing, can we please have the answers to the following questions?
1/. Are the Genesis, Nemesis, & GST blocks the same & therefore interchangable?
2/. What is the difference between the two different types of black GST Head?
3/. Are the Genesis, Nemesis, & GST piston, sleeve & crank interchangable? ( I realise that the GST has been developed / tuned differently)
4/. Finally, are the Genesis, Nemesis, & GST carbies different & if so are they physically interchangable?

Many thanks in advance for your answers to these questions.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:24 AM
.46NitroAddict

Hi Scott GTR
I sent CEN Racing a 'pm', regarding a varied number if issues. I have received a fast reply to all my questions, & have pasted the relevant section to this topic below. Answers in red. (with Andrew's permission to do so!)

1/. Are the Genesis LE, Nemesis, & GST blocks all the same & therefore interchangable? Both internally & externally?
Yes the current and available GENESIS, NEMESIS, and GST engines are all the same and interchangable.

2/. Similarly, is it possible to use a GST head on a Genesis or Nemesis? What is the difference between the two different types of black GST Heads?
Yes the black head is interchangable with all other CEN .46 engines. The two different types of black heads came from two different runs of the engines. They are both quality style heads, however, we can only choose one style, and we chose the current style which is the more traditional. This was due to customer recommendation.

3/. Are the Genesis, Nemesis, & GST piston, sleeve & crank interchangable? ( I realise that the GST has been developed / tuned differently) & therefore does this mean I can retro fit a GST crank, Piston & sleeve kit to my 14 month old Genesis LE?
The older engines are not interchangable, however, consumers that have purchased GST, GENESIS, and NEMESIS, within the last 6 months all have the same, new and improved engine. You can fit a GST crank into your older GENESIS, because they have the same dimensions.

4/. Finally, are the Genesis, Nemesis, & GST carbies different & if so, how & are they physically interchangable?
Again, they are all the same now, and yes they are all interchangable. The needles have been changed to make the engines much easier to tune, and user friendly along with providing more power. So yes, you can fit a newer carb into your 14 mo old GENESIS, they mount the same way and have the same dimensions. By installing the new Carb, you will experience a more consitent tune with more consistent power.

Kind Regards,
Andrew Smolnik
Team Manager
Account Executive
CEN Racing.
I think he's got all bases covered, as far as I was concerned anyway.
Regards, .46NitroAddict [>:]
Old 03-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Scott_GTR

It is just as well I asked this question now.

Scratch the carb comment, I took it out today, the new thinner oil in
the shocks work a treat , but 30 mins in I snapped the con rod!!! [:@][:@]

So Cen,......

Will a new piston, rod and sleeve assy fit in my ~18 month old Genny block???

If I read the above answers right, you are saying the blocks and cranks are
all the same, but the piston, rod and sleeve are different.

So will the whole assy drop into my Genny???
Old 03-04-2007, 05:51 PM
.46NitroAddict

Hey Scott,

As I understand it, (Based on Andrew's Replies) Yes your Genny LE will accept a GST type Piston Rod & Sleeve! Due to the fact that their physical dimensions are identical! (but not necessarily their characteristics - See reply for question 3 above).

You may want to seriously consider reading the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=819]RCU CEN GST 7.7 Review[/link], in particular the section on the engine, starting after this [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/reviews/819/underhood36.jpg]Crankshaft photo[/link]. It states that
CEN didn't leave the engine for their popular platform alone, as power improvements were a high priority on their list. The crankshaft design has been reworked to enhance airflow.
Now last time I pulled my .46 down for a routine inspection my LE crank looked nothing like this! Perhaps a closer inspection of yours will also confirm this. In particular the counterweight? Mine is a solid lump - not hollow like the picture!

So to be sure the beast runs properly, it is probably a good idea to match the sleeve porting to the crank, that way you will be assured it will run properly & stronger as well!

A few things to think about / check!
Regards, .46NitroAddict [>:]
Old 04-29-2007, 05:19 PM
VDub99AML
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took the backing plate off my Genesis LE, and found that the crankshaft is broken where the starting pin goes in. So, I understand that the crankshafts are different from the LE and GST. Can I just buy the crank from a GST though? It's hard to pass up a crank on the bay that's 1/3 the price of other places.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:26 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

vdub if ts that cheap then try it and let us all know if it works but I bet hte timing is just a bit different(maybe better)

there is a possibility it wont work..In otherwords I dunno. lol

I know this doesn't help much, but
Old 04-29-2007, 06:59 PM
VDub99AML
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's alright, I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:10 PM
Scott_GTR

I think the cranks should be interchangable.

From what I have seen, all the main dimensions are the same,
(ie, beaing Dia's and spacing).

So any differances are probably just to aid air flow.