Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

One Way Bearing Replacement On The Cheap!!!

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

One Way Bearing Replacement On The Cheap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 01:22 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default One Way Bearing Replacement On The Cheap!!!

Ok fellas, I know how annoying it can get when you are at the track or out in the field bashing and your one way fails!! Unless you have a spare your day is over!! I like to keep at least 1 spare in my fieldbox, but now that my wife goes out with me regularly, I need to keep more than one handy. Well that can get costly with the one way costing from $12-$18 on the'Bay and more from your LHS.

Well, alittle birdie suggested that just the one way bearing could be replaced(thanx Nomobux).

So I looked at the numbers on the end of one way and saw INA HF0612 stamped into it and googled it and found lots of results. I thought "if its that common lets see whats on the 'Bay" I just did a search for "hf 0612" and came up with this these listings [link=http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=HF+0612]http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=HF+0612[/link]. The price seemed right @ $5.95 + $3.95ship + $1.49 required insurance = $11.39/each, saves alittle but when you buy more than one you will save $3 on shipping each and the required insurance covers THIS shipment so you will only have to pay $1.49 once, so the more you get the more you save. I ordered 4 and @ $32.09 I figure I saved about $20 for other goodies!!

Ok, now for the Bearing change. You will need a 12 point 10mm deepwell socket to "recieve" the bearing as its being driven out, a smaller 1/4" socket or siutable size to drive out the bearing and finally a hammer. My driver socket was too short to completely drive out the bearing, so I finished the job with a suitable drill bit as a drift or punch(not the best idea). Set up your sockets as seen below and tap firmly to drive out the bearing. Make sure you take note of which way the bearing is situated in the hex. You will need this for later. Now that you have the old oneway out, toss it in the trash. Take the New oneway and set it on top of the hex with the lettering up and tap the bearing in being very careful not to damage the end of the bearing. when the bearing pushes thru you will have to set the oneway back on your deep well socket and Drive the bearing flush to the hex, Be sure the lettering side of the bearing is flush with the hex as this should be the proper orientation as noted before driving out the old bearing.

Now if you have kept some old oneways from before when you've had to replace it, then you will have extra hex's that need new bearings. I replaced the bad bearings in all of my extras and now I am ready for the next time when a pesky oneway fails at the track or in the field. Just pull the rear suspension and your starter plate, whether its a pull or roto start, replace the oneway, and you are back to the fun before the enigine even cools off!!

Thinking about making a tool for this procedure! what ya guys think, is it needed??

OH BTW this procedure works for the other one ways in and on the tranny. I believe the part numbers are the same!!

Here are some pics for reference..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97371.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	644598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51360.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	644599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60521.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	644600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59754.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	644601  
Old 03-18-2007, 01:53 PM
SOILWORK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: One Way Replacement On The Cheap!!!

Your the man! Great info Dogman. I would be interested in a tool for the oneway.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:49 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

yeah, been doing that for a while now. That bearing has a lot of RC applications.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43...tm.htm#4364343

Good write up and pics as usual TRD!

When is CEN going to hire you for R&D?????
Old 03-18-2007, 09:53 PM
The Real Dogman

[sm=red_smile.gif][sm=red_smile.gif][sm=red_smile.gif][sm=red_smile.gif][sm=red_smile.gif]Where's that damned search button????? I'm never posting again!!!Thanks for the heads up dustin!!![sm=red_smile.gif][sm=red_smile.gif]

Original by Dustin

When is CEN going to hire you for R&D?????
Dunno, why have you heard something?

EDIT: This proving to be a VERY Useful write-up Dustin!!
Old 03-19-2007, 03:02 AM
MONAROMAN

TRD, you read my mind, OWB went this weekend! [>:] Bought one sunday and now I can't find where I put it down ![&:][:@]
Old 03-19-2007, 10:51 AM
eplummer

Thanks for the info! From our other thread ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5511175/tm.htm ), I still haven't pulled the tranny apart to get the numbers from the internal one-way bearing. If I remember correctly though, it's numbers were different from the external shift unit's one-way bearing (I compared them to see if the rollers were loose in both and faintly remember looking at the case markings). Now I know why you were asking! I drove several tanks through this weekend (in first gear only), and was thinking I would upgrade the tranny to the Nemesis version (I could stand to lose reverse and 3rd for a stronger driveline). But comparing the parts diagrams, I see that even though the Nemesis doesn't have a 3rd gear, it still has the internal one-way bearing [] I guess I will either find the bearing on eBay as you suggest and try to replace it or just buy a Nemesis tranny assembly from eBay and use it for parts.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:13 PM
eplummer

Dogman, I pulled the tranny apart and used your technique (which worked great!) to remove the internal shifter one-way bearing. It is an HF0812, as is the external shifter one-way (although they have other markings on them which are different: "U" on the internal and "VWX" on the external). I found it on eBay and will be getting a couple. Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec90013.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	649743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12232.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	649744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94604.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	649745  
Old 04-06-2007, 10:24 AM
eplummer

An update... I bought the internal one-way bearing (and a couple extras) on eBay from irvineman. The invoice showed the wrong shipping amount, which took several emails (all unanswered) and phone calls to resolve, but then the product was shipped quickly. I pressed the bearing into the spur gear with a c-clamp, which worked great. A test run through a tank of gas showed that my "freewheeling" problem is now fixed! Thanks Dogman for saving me some money and showing how to do this repair! While I had the tranny apart I decided to ditch the internal shift unit (like the Nemesis, I just kept the hub in place; but I kept reverse). The truck seemed more responsive, which I attribute to the possibility that previously the internal shift unit was shifting before the external shift unit-- I never could get the internal shift unit adjusted correctly!
Old 05-05-2007, 05:37 PM
MONAROMAN

Default RE: One Way Bearing Replacement On The Cheap!!!

For all you Australian Genesis, Nemesis and GST owners the engine OWB can be bought from this place in brisvegas for $8 AUD each, delivery is SUPER FAST, express post even if not requested, got mine next day in Sydney.

http://www.wattsuprc.com.au/product_...=BearingHF0612

Also had same shipping issue with irvineman but got sorted after a few emails, still waiting for bearings to arrive tho
Old 05-05-2007, 09:46 PM
.46NitroAddict

Hey MONAROMAN,

You've done well . Suppose I should get some coin together, & get some extra spares!

Thanks, .46NitroAddict [>:]
Old 05-05-2007, 10:02 PM
The Real Dogman

Hey guys!! Look for a step by step write-up on CEN's official site.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:33 AM
MONAROMAN

Hey nitro how was pink? did ya get ya groove on?!?!
Old 05-06-2007, 09:11 AM
.46NitroAddict

Hey MONAROMAN,

Saw her in Melb, at the Rod Laver Arena. Wife & daughter was rapped!
Was as good live as on a cd / dvd, actually we enjoyed her better than Robbie Williams! Damn, I can't wait for a concert of MY choice!! Good perv but, what a fit chick.......

Maybe one day I'll catch you online, with messenger, & we can finally have that chat! Good cheap find on those owb's.

Regards, .46NitroAddict [>:]
Old 05-06-2007, 07:59 PM
ShootPaint

You guys do know that your one way bearing fails due to buildup of oil and fuel in the bearing, right???
You can get a can of brake cleaner and then some light oil such as wd40, liquid wrench, PB Blaster, etc... to lightly lube the bear after cleaning.
If you clean the bearing and relube it you wont have to replace the OWB for years!!!. I just sold my old TMaxx 2.5, close to 5 years old. It still had the original OWB in it and worked like a charm.

Can of brake cleaner $3
Light oil $3
Never needing to replace the OWB again, Priceless!!!

Might add great write up on how to replace the bear.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:18 PM
The Real Dogman

ShootPaint:

Great Point!!

This write-up is NOT a substitute for normal Maintanence. You should Always follow a regular schedule of tear down and cleaning of all parts. Thsi write up is intended as a guide to help those who need to replace their failed bearing, weather or not they followed a cleaning ritual or not.

Oh yeah, it would be priceless if you never have tp replace your OWB

And what do you mean "Might add great write up on how to replace the bear."?

Old 05-07-2007, 05:53 AM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

And what do you mean "Might add great write up on how to replace the bear."? I think he is saying you did a great job on the write up. Bear .. short for bearing
Old 05-07-2007, 12:38 PM
eplummer

Oil build-up is not the only cause of failure... My OWB in the internal shift unit was clean, but one or two of the little pressure springs fell out when I slid the bearing off the shaft and was examining it. The "cage" that holds the springs and bearings in was coming apart and I could push a roller out with a dental pick. Note that this was before I pressed it out of the spur gear. On the other hand, the OWB on the starter does get gummed up, and a cleaning returns it to proper working order.